Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 6, 2011   #151
grizlbr
Tomatovillian™

Default thrips?

It would seem I found the culprit now to go spray! I hate to let tomatoes go to waste are they safe to eat? The first tomatoes were treated with Sevin and Max so do not think the Ortho Max caused spots??? Did not see anything after small cut worms Max was just easier to apply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpotTom1.JPG (34.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg LeafSspot.jpg (93.2 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by grizlbr; July 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Safe 2 eat?
grizlbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2011   #152
grizlbr
Tomatovillian™

Default Interferon

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
They need to invent Tomato Inferon.
Everything got Maxed and Sevined today dirt nap the bugs! Aspirin 3 tabs to 4 gallons of water according to a @edu folar spray. First time I saw a tomato perk up being wet with insecticide? Who was drooping? As I made second round with Aspirin spray. Still going to calcium and magnesium spray today. Going to see if aspirin steroids help! Can any one help with spots on my fruit? The first six from same branch were pretty we had a storm that knocked fruit to ground is orange spotted fruit still on vine safe 2 eat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeafSspot.jpg (93.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg SpotTom.jpg (67.1 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by grizlbr; July 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: question 2
Old July 7, 2011   #153
grizlbr
Tomatovillian™

Guess I will take a mirror so I can see underside of leaves? The eye level 6 foot portion of my Early Girl looks OK? If she has a STD? Seeds are ok stop rooting suckers???? Is there a chart of diseases to determine what if is going on?
Old August 31, 2011   #154
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Found my first case of TSWV since June this morning when watering. I hope it will be an isolated case. It was just starting and I cut off the whole stem in the vain hope of slowing it down on the plant. I always try it but it rarely helps. It was one of my fall plants set out in July and it was looking pretty good with a fair amount of blossoms. Seems to me I mainly get TSWV in the spring and sometimes again in the fall. I guess that must be when thrips are active down here.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #155
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have now had 3 cases of TSWV this fall and have pulled them all. I guess the thrips are moving around again.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #156
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Just a heads up that the SouthEast is having a massive outbreak of tomato spotted wilt this year. It seems to be a result of a warmer than normal winter and wetter than normal spring.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #157
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Just a heads up that the SouthEast is having a massive outbreak of tomato spotted wilt this year. It seems to be a result of a warmer than normal winter and wetter than normal spring.

DarJones

Yep, we are getting into the nineties now with higher humidity....that time of year to be on guard.
Old May 22, 2012   #158
Yeager31
Tomatovillian™

Definitely battling TSWV here in SE North Carolina this year. I have pulled appox 15 plants thus far to include both of my ARGG, Amazon Chocolate, Anna Russian, Lucky Cross, 2 German Johnsons (I really can't get these things to work), Cherokee Green, Kimberley, Black and Brown Boar and a Paul Robeson. Somewhat my fault as I was slow to properly diagnose as I thought the black spotting was a fungus. I really need to bone up on my disease knowledge.

Anthony
Yeager31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #159
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeager31 View Post
Definitely battling TSWV here in SE North Carolina this year. I have pulled appox 15 plants thus far to include both of my ARGG, Amazon Chocolate, Anna Russian, Lucky Cross, 2 German Johnsons (I really can't get these things to work), Cherokee Green, Kimberley, Black and Brown Boar and a Paul Robeson. Somewhat my fault as I was slow to properly diagnose as I thought the black spotting was a fungus. I really need to bone up on my disease knowledge.

Anthony
How long have your plants been in the ground, before you noticed a problem?
Old May 23, 2012   #160
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default some insecticides make thrips infestations worse!

I was also reading about thrips recently: this article from Florida is very informative about thrips and TSWV, and results of different treatments in the field:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in401

I have been suffering a thrips infestation on pepper plants which are still in the house. I don't see any signs of TSWV afaict, but I am not going to put any peppers in the greenhouse with tomatoes just in case. The thrips damage alone is nasty enough. Really no way to kill the bugs once they are in the plant tissue, only cull and prune.
Has anyone used diatomaceous earth on the soil surface to stop new ones from emerging? Does this help?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #161
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Happens every year - today I lost my first (and hopefully last) plant to TSW - and as usual it is something pretty special - Yellow Ponderosa, from seed saved in 1995 - I got the seed from the USDA. Fortunately I managed to get several up and growing so it is already replaced. It was planted on May 4, and had open blossoms. Looked fine as recently as 2 days ago. Amazing how fast the disease shows up once the plant gets infected.

Weird - plants next to it and across from it are fine. 200 tomato plants. And...boom!....there it was with the characteristic foliage markings.
Old May 25, 2012   #162
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

I lost my first (and only so far) plant to TSWV yesterday - sadly it was the only Druzba I had in the garden with no backup plant in the greenhouse. I replaced it with a Black Krim. The other 84 plants look great (for now).
Old May 25, 2012   #163
Yeager31
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeager31

Anthony
How long have your plants been in the ground, before you noticed a problem?
Most of my planting was done ~30Mar thru first week of June. First noticed probably around first of May.

Last edited by Yeager31; May 25, 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: left out quote
Yeager31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012   #164
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.arbico-organics.com/produ...is-mite-thrips This is good info for some biological controls and you can order the beneficials from here.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012   #165
Honeysuckle Farm
Tomatovillian™

I just quarantined 2 yesterday w/TSWV! I also have early blight, septoria and a couple of leaf curl viruses... most issues have all appeared within the week! Out of the 380 tomatoes I started, about half suddenly have something wrong. Last year I only had a few cases of blight and nothing else. I guess the lack of a winter here is going to make this year a tough one.
Honeysuckle Farm is offline   Reply With Quote