Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 14, 2007   #1
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default Are these guys thrips?

My Cherokee green is loaded with these bugs. No disease or anything wrong with plant, but these guys sure seem to like this one plant. No stink bugs are they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thrip1.jpg (115.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg thrip2.jpg (109.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Thrip3.jpg (77.6 KB, 62 views)
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

They all look like aphids to me, not thrips or stinkbugs.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

They look like aphids to me, too. Thrips look like tiny houseflies. The ones I've seen are mostly black with a little orange on their bodies.
Old May 14, 2007   #4
lavandula girl
Tomatovillian™

I thought aphids, too. Here's a pic of thrips:
Old May 14, 2007   #5
CLa
Tomatovillian™

The plant is loaded with them, I'm thinking of nuking with something, hmm with what though...
Old May 14, 2007   #6
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Wingless aphids are toted up to the prime new tender growth areas of several garden plants...by Ants. I keep tryin to find mild ways to help our native ants, but...alas...this is what a native ant does...))) U can blow the aphids off with a directed stream of water(sometimes you have to hold the plant whilst doing so, to not knock it over)..and the Ants will have to re-group an try an re-build the Farm. Im experimenting in several ways...to try an see if theres a way...the native ants need for honeydew, could be satisfied or deterred.... One of the things im kinda thinkin might be helpful , is pinestraw. Or...some call it pine needles. If you ponder the work...that ants have to do to tote aphids up a trunk of a plant, place them in position...an work their Farm...an then ponder how high you can mulch around a plant w/pinestraw...so as to create literal hell for them to struggle an try an climb thru, plus a little DE (diatomaceous earth)...then..u might understand where im leadin ya. Knock em off w/water, an disturb/rearrange mulch. Make the ants work their tails off tryin to keep up w/changin scenarios. As soon as a Tomato gets strong, if it does...its natural defenses cause it to become far less desirable for honeydew production. Ants like to Farm...young tender plants/growth.

a Wingless aphid can not place itself in a position to milk a plant. It requires an ant, to take it to the Right Spot.If you knock them off w/water streams...they will need assistance to return...but come back in 30 minutes, an you will SEE jus that...ants totin em back up the stem. After it grows wings...i think it continues a few more days predating...but soon leaves naturally, propably to go breed, lay eggs an die.

Aphids are a very interestin study, an a creature that has a symbiotic relationship w/sugar-eating ants, as well as some hybridized fireants.

The Real Key...over the Long Haul, is for the plant's environment and health to be Good. Plants w/strong aspirations/capabilities, defend themselves eventually...quite well against aphid attack, an thats why the ants move their farmin operations over to weaker plant.. Plants that find themselves somehow weakened ...thru a plethora of other possible means/conditions...find it hard to fight...so many obstacles at one time.

Good Luck..)))
Old May 14, 2007   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLa View Post
The plant is loaded with them, I'm thinking of nuking with something, hmm with what though...
Insecticidal soap. Twice a week until you have the problem under control. Don't use when direct sun is on the plants, or rinse off after a few minutes. Pay particular attention to undersides of leaves.

You can make your own (do a search on soap for this subforum) or purchase (GardenSafe is a brand I like).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007   #8
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

Hey, are you taking pictures of my plants?

I have the same issue as you and soap is my plan of attack.

Tim
Old May 14, 2007   #9
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback, Suze looking into that as we speak ,thanks. Gimmi3, good info, seems hard to believe that all these guys made it to these heights though by ants, sure they are not laying eggs? The plant is huge, mature, and the aphids (if they are that) are even on some of the highest points at least 5 feet up.
Old May 15, 2007   #10
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

CLA...the reason they are at the highest points is this...thats Where the tenderest growth is.. I caint tell you..u'd jus have to Witness it yoself...but believe me....aphids do no harm, and Leave...a Strong Plant,a plant fully Capable thru its environment grown in, to defend itself. Infestation is a Sign...that the plant is lacking...natural Ability...it then becomes a question...the Grower needs to Ponder...as to... WHY. There is a natural inhibitor to predation, present...in a Tomato, i forget the name of it, but i could go find it for you...an probly will, jus so i remember it...Aphids, have a very short life, they couldnt even survive an prosper, without an Ant. Insect Attack...on ANY Plant...is a Sign...to be pondered over, by the Grower, because...insects only attack....weak plants...incapable of growing into their natural defenses.

If you hear what im sayin...THATS WHY...Powerful soil, constant understandings to the abilties we have to give plants a Great Home...a Cultivated home...is the Key...99 times out of 100. But it takes...some Ground/Earth level....observations an trials...to come to gain deeper understandings of how Life processes work...in our Own growin areas...an Really...thats what We was Meant to do...))) Good Luck w/them aphids...they are tellin you somethin...on a 5 foot Plant...)))
Old May 16, 2007   #11
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Fingers work great on aphids.
Catch 'em early and fast and you won't have a problem.

I stay away from anything other than fingers, because I also have lady bug larvae helping to keep them at bay.

My DW saw lady bug larvae coming up out the grass like last year. One of the few infestations of insects I'm glad to see!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #12
Jonathan_E
Tomatovillian™

There are around 4000 species of aphids, I regret to say. The one that mostly troubles my tomato plants is the green peach aphid. I don't think it requires farming ants to get to the plant, since it can be carried on the wind and the adults sometimes have wings. Here's an article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid
Jonathan_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #13
Jonathan_E
Tomatovillian™

Here's an article specifically on the green peach aphid that's been a problem for me; http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/ap...each_aphid.htm
Jonathan_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2007   #14
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Someone gave me some organic Coast of Maine salmon spray, and even after a thunderstorm, the results are amazing (I went from an infestation to not finding any bugs today at all!) I don't know how many rainstorms it will last, but I had to scrub my hands repeatedly with harsh dish liquid to get it off, so keep it off yourself unless you wanna repell humans!!! ;-)
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #15
oh2fly
Tomatovillian™

No one has mentioned letting a bunch of ladybugs loose in the patch. They love aphids!
oh2fly is offline   Reply With Quote