Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 29, 2013   #76
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
Great pics kath...That Indian Stripe Potato Leaf Tomato looks quite good. Love how the fruit on those look with the ribbing and variegated coloration.

~Alfredo
Thanks, Alfredo- yes, the ISPL fruits are pretty despite the ribbing. None of them have had any rotting problems like so many of the lumpy ones do.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #77
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Kath, how did Heshpole and Work Release Paste, two of the stand-outs from last year, do for you this season? I grew both. I really enjoyed the growth pattern of Heshpole, but it went down to whatever disease I have in the garden faster than some. Still, it put out a good 10-12 lb of nice large hearts, similar in taste to Wes but more pink.

The work release paste lost several tomatoes to BER. It was probably among the worst in my garden in susceptibility to whatever I have (Verticillium, Fusarium, some other toxin... TBD?). I thought the few tomatoes I got from it, all decent 10ou sized, were very tasty with decent shelf life. It didn't seem to set fruit as easily as Wes and Heshpole.

Out of the three, Wes was the winner for production and disease resistance (though not immune itself) and possibly taste as well. Heshpole probably had the best shelf-life, followed by WRP. I think WRP tasted an edge better than Heshpole. All three are very low on liquid gel and seeds. They seem to make great sun dried tomato slices.

Thanks for these posts.
-naysen
Hey, naysen~

WRP has been just ok so far. I've only gotten 2 fruits and they were fused giants that ripened unevenly so it's only been in two of our taste tests and hasn't done better than 3rd place for me, 4th for DH, but the season is young, the plants are still healthy and there's a lot of fruit still out there. I've never seen BER with WRP.

Heshpole didn't make the cut and it wasn't planted again this year. By the end of the season, I decided that I prefered Hays', Fish Lake Oxheart and Work Release Paste and didn't need to bring back that many heart types for this year's trial. Wes wasn't a taste fave for us either and didn't produce as well as any of the above for me. FLO is tasting the best so far but it's early and we've only had a few of each of these hearts so far. I do like the fact that they're all low on gel & seeds for our uses.

kath

Last edited by kath; July 29, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old July 29, 2013   #78
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCountyGirl View Post
Hey Kath, everything is looking beautiful! How would you say that Sunpeach compares in flavor to Sungold? Your description as me intrigued...
Thanks, Kelli!

They're not at all alike- Sunpeach doesn't have any of the zip that Sungold has- it's mild & sweet, period- tastes really good but it doesn't compare to Sungold, imo. That & its large size means I won't be growing it again.

kath
Old July 29, 2013   #79
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Dear Kath, I am with you. It does not matter to me neither how ugly the tomato fruits are, or if they have an OFFICIAL pedigree, as long as they taste great. I love what is inside, not the outside.
Yup, ultimately it's all about the taste.

kath
Old July 30, 2013   #80
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hey Kath, thanks for the Low-down on your hearts. I'm getting the impression that environment really can make a difference on the outcome of any of these common varieties. I've not tried your #1 hearts, so maybe I'll have a to sub one or two of them in for next year. I don't think I'll ever drop Wes, since it's so productive for me and the taste is sufficient. I'll probably drop WRP and/or Heshpole, though I really enjoyed the growth patterns of Heshpole and the leaf/branch type. That is, until it started to brown out and crisp up.
Have fun.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013   #81
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hey Kath, thanks for the Low-down on your hearts. I'm getting the impression that environment really can make a difference on the outcome of any of these common varieties. I've not tried your #1 hearts, so maybe I'll have a to sub one or two of them in for next year. I don't think I'll ever drop Wes, since it's so productive for me and the taste is sufficient. I'll probably drop WRP and/or Heshpole, though I really enjoyed the growth patterns of Heshpole and the leaf/branch type. That is, until it started to brown out and crisp up.
Have fun.
-naysen
Agreed- and Early Blight is the only disease I get here that slowly affects WRP each year here. It also has the environmental leaf curl thing going on every year for me but it really pumps out the fruits and we love them.

Let me know if you'd like some seeds to try for next year, naysen.

kath
Old July 31, 2013   #82
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kath, thanks for the offer, but I actually got my WRP and Heshpole seeds from you last year based on the previous year's version of this post. Like I said, both plants have plenty nice about them (especially the unique growth patterns of Heshpole), but I think in my environment Wes wins out. Since I'm a big fan of hearts for my purposes (drying, sauce, salsa), I might try all three and a few more next season. I want to focus more on paste types next year, since I end up with a ton of juicy tomatoes that go bad in my back room within a couple days of picking (even not fully ripe). This forces me into sometimes a twice a week processing schedule that just takes all the fun out of the "hobby." I'm loving my sauces and salsas and dried tomatoes, and I eat a fresh tomato or two for lunch every day at work, but I can't abide those days that start at break-O and end at 3am in the morning non-stop on my feet processing 100+ lb of tomatoes. Anyway, that's a good problem to have I suppose. I just need to be wiser in my choice of varieties.

-n
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #83
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Kath, have you tried Brad's Black Heart?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #84
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Kath, thanks for the offer, but I actually got my WRP and Heshpole seeds from you last year based on the previous year's version of this post. Like I said, both plants have plenty nice about them (especially the unique growth patterns of Heshpole), but I think in my environment Wes wins out. Since I'm a big fan of hearts for my purposes (drying, sauce, salsa), I might try all three and a few more next season. I want to focus more on paste types next year, since I end up with a ton of juicy tomatoes that go bad in my back room within a couple days of picking (even not fully ripe). This forces me into sometimes a twice a week processing schedule that just takes all the fun out of the "hobby." I'm loving my sauces and salsas and dried tomatoes, and I eat a fresh tomato or two for lunch every day at work, but I can't abide those days that start at break-O and end at 3am in the morning non-stop on my feet processing 100+ lb of tomatoes. Anyway, that's a good problem to have I suppose. I just need to be wiser in my choice of varieties.

-n
I completely understand about tomato overload- this is the very last season I'll be growing so many new ones- really. Having found a few that seem to work for me, my search is nearly over and I want to keep it fun.

kath
Old July 31, 2013   #85
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Kath, have you tried Brad's Black Heart?
Yes, twice. I really liked it and so did my neighbor, Suze. It had a good taste and set a lot of fruit for me, and some really large tomatoes but the second time we both grew it neither of us had great luck. Splitting was an issue, it didn't taste as good as some of the others and it went down quite early with some disease or other so it didn't make either of our permanent lists. I don't care for too many darks in a sauce pot, either.

kath
Old July 31, 2013   #86
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Private Requests for Seeds

It's crunch time for getting ready for my family's arrival and my to-do list is HUGE so my T'ville time will be severely limited. This year's seeds are still drying on paper plates and will remain there for the foreseeable future. Honestly, I have neither the time nor the inclination to make a "waiting list" for seed requests or to send any out now. Any comments I made here to individuals we not general offers.

Thank you for your understanding and please don't take offense that I won't be responding to any more PMs or posts here in a timely manner until I have more free time. I love to share seeds and will do so when my season's over and time permits.

kath
Old August 11, 2013   #87
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Antigua de Val de la Matanza

Got these in a trade and don't know much about them. The plant is still only about 4 1/2' tall and the 7-11 oz. fruits have had a tendency to be angular and puffy/hollow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2934.jpg (268.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2924.jpg (282.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2929.jpg (378.3 KB, 69 views)
Old August 11, 2013   #88
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Austin's Black Cherry

Seems this one is correct. Just pulled the plant because of gray mold. The fruits were a good match for Sungold and tasted as good as Black Cherry did for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2623.jpg (537.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2626.jpg (389.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2563.jpg (581.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2598.jpg (238.6 KB, 65 views)
Old August 11, 2013   #89
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Brutus

Short plant is loaded with 5-8 oz. red fruits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2547.jpg (458.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2948.jpg (453.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2951.jpg (361.6 KB, 60 views)
Old August 11, 2013   #90
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine, Liams

Had some cat facing issues but I'm still getting some beautiful, tasty fruits ranging from 11-21 oz. so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2553.jpg (487.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2833.jpg (433.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2836.jpg (446.4 KB, 68 views)