Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 1, 2012   #46
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Baby snakes are out everywhere here. My husband nearly stepped on two baby rattlers last week. I also found one baby in my garage yesterday. They are trying to get warm. My husband says they are protected here. We can't kill them.
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #47
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamintStick View Post
Baby snakes are out everywhere here. My husband nearly stepped on two baby rattlers last week. I also found one baby in my garage yesterday. They are trying to get warm. My husband says they are protected here. We can't kill them.
I think you should contact the local Dept of Fish and Game and find out exactly what is legal and not regarding rattlesnakes. I am from California and have never heard of it being illegal to kill snakes but I could be wrong and it could be something that occured since I moved from that state in 2002. If you are in a state park area then I could see the restriction and hope you don't get bit by one.

I do believe you can kill them to protect yourself and those babies are much more dangerous than an adult rattler. See this website for Dept of Fish and Game and see what I cut and pasted regarding rattlers.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/Fr...4-sec5_60.html

5.60. Reptiles.

(a) General Provisions: Only the following reptiles may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. The limit for each of the species listed below is two, unless otherwise provided. Limit, as used in this section, means daily bag and possession limit.
No reptiles shall be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.

(b) No sportfishing license is required for the sport take of any rattlesnake.

[ The following forms of rattlesnakes are found in California:

Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake - Crotalus atrox
Mohave Desert Sidewinder - Crotalus cerastes cerastes
Colorado Desert Sidewinder - Crotalus cerastes laterorepens
Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake - Crotalus mitchellii pyrrhus
Southern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus helleri
Great Basin Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus lutosus
Northern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus
Red Diamond Rattlesnake - Crotalus ruber
Northern Mojave Rattlesnake - Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus
Panamint Rattlesnake - Crotalus stephensi ]

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #48
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, you can kill them, and should if they are in your home. Rattlesnakes are territorial and reluctant to move on. California law:

A current California Freshwater Sport Fishing License is needed by any resident or non-resident 16 years of age or older to take, or collect, reptiles and amphibians in California, except for rattlesnakes, which are not protected by law.

Even California does not prevent you from killing one in your home!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #49
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
My dad was bitten twice on the hand by a copperhead last summer in our garden. Those things are mean as...well...as a snake. My mom ran out with hoe, struck off the head of the snake, threw the head and the body in a bread bag, drove to the hospital, and dumped the snake on the front desk at the reception. Her purpose was to get correct identification for the antevenom. The hospital staff behaved like a bunch of five year old girls, running around screaming at the dead snake. My dad was treated right quick.
I am sorry but I laughed so hard. Your mom is a very brave woman. I would be running for the hills.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012   #50
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

If that is true about it being legal to kill rattlers that would be fine by me. I thought the law had to do with this being the Mojave Desert and not a California law. They protect everything it seems around here. The snakes do seem to want to take over the house. I had some snakes hatch under the house last year. It made sipping on lemon aid on a warm day not so relaxing. I do have 60 guinea hens that are suppose to kill snakes. We will see if it helps. This is there first adult year here.
Old May 4, 2012   #51
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

If you are in a protected area then it may be a law, this is why you should contact your local Dept of Fish and Game. They can tell you what you can do to protect yourself. I don't think I could sit outside and drink lemonade if I knew there were so many snakes around and it sounds like you have them coming back to your area to hatch out their young.

Pea Hens also kill rattlers/other snakes, at least this is what I have been reading about. We are looking into purchasing some land and the day we went to look at it there was a copperhead that came out of a hole right in front of my husband. Scared me to death and I immediately started researching natural predators I could give a home. The male Pea Hens(peacocks) are so beautiful when they open their tail feathers up.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 4, 2012   #52
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Peafowl kill and eat rattlesnakes really well. I had a rattler problem, got a peacock, he ate them and no more snakes!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #53
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, I'm glad to know someone can vouch for peacocks, it only makes me more inlined to go that route if we do purchase some land.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 4, 2012   #54
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

I have never heard they kill snakes. I have one pea hen right now. My male fell off my roof and died. It was a freak accident. I am looking for another to replace him. My hen does not leave my patio much. She is not aggressive at all. She was hatched in my house. She thinks she is a house bird. Sits at my door waiting to come in.

I do raise a lot of poultry and farm animals. I think rodents are attracted to there food and that brings more snakes.

This is the second year we have seen baby snakes. I think this will be the biggest year we have seen since they are out so early. We had several years where we never seen any snakes at all. My neighbors have killed Majave Greens. I here they are bad. I worry when my grandson is out playing. He is 4 years old and special. He does not understand that things can hurt him. He runs from me, and I have to chase him down through scary places. We are not close to hospitals so that doubles my fear for him and us.
Old May 4, 2012   #55
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Too bad my wife won't let me get any fowl at all.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #56
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
Too bad my wife won't let me get any fowl at all.
If she changes her mind, I could set you up with just about any type of poultry.
Old May 4, 2012   #57
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I have tried to talk her into it, but she said no way no how. I get my way with A LOT OF OTHER THINGS so I can't complain.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #58
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have never heard they kill snakes. I have one pea hen right now. My male fell off my roof and died. It was a freak accident. I am looking for another to replace him. My hen does not leave my patio much. She is not aggressive at all. She was hatched in my house. She thinks she is a house bird. Sits at my door waiting to come in.
I hope your grandson doesn't get hurt.

If I read it correctly, it is the males that kill and eat the snakes better than the female, I don't know, I could be wrong, but that is what sticks in my mind.

The year you didn't see any snakes did you have your male peacock? There are always people selling peacocks on craigslist in my area, maybe you could look there in yours?

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 4, 2012   #59
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I hope your grandson doesn't get hurt.

If I read it correctly, it is the males that kill and eat the snakes better than the female, I don't know, I could be wrong, but that is what sticks in my mind.

The year you didn't see any snakes did you have your male peacock? There are always people selling peacocks on craigslist in my area, maybe you could look there in yours?
I think my male peacock died at the end of summer last year. It might have been about the same time we started seeing the snakes but I not sure.

We sell poultry at a auction once a month. I have had my eye out for a young male since my hen is not even of laying age yet. All of the males have been old that I have seen. Mothers Day is my next auction. Maybe they will have one.

Quote:
I have tried to talk her into it, but she said no way no how. I get my way with A LOT OF OTHER THINGS so I can't complain.
People either love them or hate them. My husband comes from a family that hates all birds including fowl. It kept my mother in law from ever visiting us.
Old May 4, 2012   #60
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Now you started it, Cinnamintstick! There will be a run on poultry by people trying to keep away their mothers in law!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote