Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default LED lights mitigate crowding

I don't know if the intensity or brightness is greater with LED's but dare I ask - for those running LEDS. Would you say it is.

Just watered my seedlings and they are not lanky, but the leaves have gotten extremely bushy - aka, crowded. I think I can stretch it out maybe 7-10 more before I need to go up one size to give them room to breathe.

Would one conclud their lack of lanky and more bushy is due to the intensity of the light type ?
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It could be due to the focused spectrum as much as the overall intensity of the light.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #3
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Just thinking outloud....maybe I dial the lights back and let them get leggy ?

Or continue letting them get bushy, absorb more light for a nice thick stem
Old April 3, 2018   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

It certainly seemed to work that way for my bok choy... They were shorter and stockier under the LED compared to T8 fluorescent. More lumens and better penetration seems to be the edge. Too bad my tomatoes didn't like the LED. I would be stoked to have stockier seedlings since my greenhouse environment always makes them grow tall in a hurry.

I'm starting to wonder now, whether my peppers will stay good in LED land. And whether LED in a west window would work for the tomatoes even. I could easily experiment but I don't really want to blister up my plants again.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #5
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Eeeks. What a difference 10 hrs. Make. 8 Hrs lights off, maybe 1 1/2 hrs of turn on. I watered my seedlings yesterday.

Lights are on a timer.
I forgot to turn back my seedling dial (more white, blue with hint of red).
The Veg dial was on the half mark (more red than white blue).
Anyhow, went to check on the plants before heading out, but on one of them, the edges of 1 plant had some burnt leaves. Don't know if it was burn to the lamp being to close OR (lamp was only on for about 1 1/2 hrs) OR the fact that that the light spectrum was different (aka, seedling light was turned off) but the veg setting was on only.

Last edited by mobiledynamics; April 3, 2018 at 08:32 AM.