Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2013   #16
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I got 15 pounds of the largest black krim I ever saw yesterday from a farmer from North Georgia named Nicholas. He said he has been saving seed for many years.

Every tomato was a good 18 ounces - and he had hundreds of pounds. I will save seed from the largest perfect oblate - I will call it the Nicholas Black Krim, since his first name is Nicholas.
Wow, sounds interesting, and tasty!

Any pictures?

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I got 15 pounds of the largest black krim I ever saw yesterday from a farmer from North Georgia named Nicholas. He said he has been saving seed for many years.

Every tomato was a good 18 ounces - and he had hundreds of pounds. I will save seed from the largest perfect oblate - I will call it the Nicholas Black Krim, since his first name is Nicholas.
Scott, if you add a name to those seeds, and only from one fruit, I think you know that ASAP you're creating a new so called strain of BK when in fact what he grew this year could have been the result of the very heavy rains in GA, as well as how he grew them and what amendments he used and all the other variables that go into the size of fruits in any one season.

I just reviewed the sizes of fruits reported by those who list it in the SSE Yearbook and most say 8-12 oz.

Obviously you can do what you want to but I'd hate to see a new strain made on the basis of fruit size.

One year due to rain my Dr. Carolyn Pink cherries were golf ball size due to the rain and several varieties had huge fruits, not normal for the varieties, due to too much rain.

Carolyn
Old July 14, 2013   #18
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

OK, Carolyn, I just hate to take someone's seeds of an extraordinary tomato with no credit for years of work. I will grow them out next year - if they seem to be again of an unusual size, would that be an acceptable excuse for naming this little strain?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #19
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I love black tomatoes.

I was posting about this in another thread, and then I forgot to mention Pruden's black, which is a cross between bedouin and pruden's purple and can be purchased from J and L Gardens....

Now as far as black krim I prefer Noire De Crimee. It is saltier and more flavorful to me.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #20
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Now as far as black krim I prefer Noire De Crimee. It is saltier and more flavorful to me.
I'm intrigued. I looked it up on Heritage Tomato Seed and they say "Noire De Crimee is a strain of Black Krim." About 3-8oz fruits on average. Is it about as easy or easier than Black Krim to grow?
Old July 14, 2013   #21
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Well the fruit is smaller and more round for noire de crimee so I found that it ripened faster and I got more of it faster. There were concentric ring cracks on the top of some but overall less cracking on the noire de crimee for me. Some people hate it and call it a vile bag of seeds but I love it. Both are easy to grow but the fruit of the noire de crimee is ready faster.

I know many people who grow black krim in containers and I bet you could grow noir de crimee in a container also... but I am not a big container grower... I grow kimberly in containers during the winter at a school where I teach but I've never grown a krim strain in one... but I bet you could, easily.
Old July 14, 2013   #22
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Oh and here is an old thread about Noire De Crimee

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25854

It was Carolyn who gave me the idea to grow noire de crimee in the first place.
Old July 15, 2013   #23
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that info, Jennifer. Anything that ripens relatively fast is a bonus in these latitides
I'll have to try the Noire de Crimee some time. My BK babies are probably not ready till end of August.... sigh.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK, Carolyn, I just hate to take someone's seeds of an extraordinary tomato with no credit for years of work. I will grow them out next year - if they seem to be again of an unusual size, would that be an acceptable excuse for naming this little strain?
I don't think so b'c while I gave you the average size reported there were some as large as you've noted and when I have time, not now, I'll go back and fish out more of the data for you.

He just saved his own seeds, which many do, which can't be said to be years of work IMO and I bet in different years he too had different sized BK's.

Carolyn

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2013   #25
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

That's interesting. Last year, my in-laws belonged to a co-op and they got these huge black tomatoes from it, one was just massive and weighed about 24 ounces. I was intrigued so I started a thread here about it and emailed the farm that they came from. They said they were black krims. So I saved the seed and am growing them along with the usual black krims. I haven't compared them yet so I have nothing to offer at this time. I have a map of my plantings and will go check it out tomorrow to see if there are any differences between the two. I'm growing 1 of each of 50 different varieties so I have no idea what is what besides the black cherry and sungold that are the only ones ripening. Everything else is just a green tomato at this point!
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #26
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Oh and here is an old thread about Noire De Crimee

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25854

It was Carolyn who gave me the idea to grow noire de crimee in the first place.
Thanks, Jennifer. Nice to know about this variety. Have you heard of Dwarf Rosella Purple? I just learned about this from Alfredo, who lives in my state and found it trumps Black Krim in several respects.
Old July 18, 2013   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
Thanks, Jennifer. Nice to know about this variety. Have you heard of Dwarf Rosella Purple? I just learned about this from Alfredo, who lives in my state and found it trumps Black Krim in several respects.
Many of us have been following the Dwarf Project here at Tville, and here's a list of all the ones released to date, seed sources, and if you click on the individual ones listed, usually comments from others and pictures.

And yes, Rosella Purple is there.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/C..._Dwarf_Project

Carolyn, who notes that essentially the same information is given in the Forum here for the Dwarf Project.
Old July 18, 2013   #28
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Many of us have been following the Dwarf Project here at Tville, and here's a list of all the ones released to date, seed sources, and if you click on the individual ones listed, usually comments from others and pictures.
Thanks, Carolyn. I hadn't stumbled onto the Dwarf Project yet. Sounds very interesting and I like the premise.