Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2013   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Maroon Cluster Cocktail

These are about half ripe, but I thought I'd post them to show a couple of details.

I forced the vines in 1-gallon pots to obtain seed, but the vines I have in the ground make tomatoes about 50% larger, as one would expect.

Anyway, this is a project I'm working on to get a golf ball size, sweet, maroon cocktail tomato that ripens in a tight cluster.

Notice the cluster on the left has longer, more slender pedicels, while the cluster on the right has shorter, thicker pedicels with more gnarly knuckles. That's the one I'm shooting for, because I think it displays better, and the fruit is more firmly attacked to the pedicels. Also, it would pack better in a clam shell.

I'll post another picture in a subsequent post to show the blossom ends, and you'll be better able to see the developing color which is a smoky maroon (red flesh stained with retained chlorophyll, and yellow epidermis). Both parents have this flesh tone. One parent runs about 4 to 5 fruit per pound, while the other parent is a normal size cherry tomato. The tomatoes on the vines in the ground are running about 10 fruit per pound.

More later, I have a lunch appointment across town ...

Last edited by travis; July 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #2
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Pretty!
Old July 22, 2013   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Oh, the reason for the slight differences between the several F1 vines w/re to fruit shape and pedicel thickness, etc. (and there are some noticeable differences in leaf patterns between the vines) is due to one parent being an F2 and the other parent being an F1. That also should be a clue as to the parents, when taken with the other information I gave in the OP.

Last edited by travis; July 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old July 22, 2013   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Blossom ends:

Old July 22, 2013   #5
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Very pretty! Will you also select for ones where all of the tomatoes on a cluster ripen at the same time? (or very close to the same)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

looks great travis. i have discovered that i am rather fond of golf ball and slightly larger tomatoes. i hope your plans work out well for you.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote