Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 25, 2012   #1
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

Default three sisters

last year i grew pole beans for the first time and i was really impressed with the flavor and productivity ofmy kentucky wonder pole beans i attempted to grow them in the three sisters manner by planting the beans around hills of blue hopi corn but the beans grew much too quickly to be able to be supported by the corn so i had to prop the beans up with stakes which eventually collapsed due to the weight of the beans.. the red kuri squash produced allright but certainly did not smother the weeds.. can anyone else share thier successes or failures with 3 sisters
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I've never tried the three sisters. I've grown pole beans and just love them. If I was going to grow beans on corn I'd get a variety or corn that grows very tall. The sweet corn we typically grow doesn't get that tall.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #3
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

hi doug i agree with you about the sweet corn thats why i grow blue hopi its supposed to grow over 8 feet but of course it dosent in my stony soil im thinking i will have to plant the corn a few weeks beforethe beans by the way if u like pole beans you should try gold of bacau its a yellow pole bean from romania that is so productive and delicious
Old March 25, 2012   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I bought seeds for Gold of Bacau last summer when I was getting a few other seeds. Even though it was really late, I went ahead and threw just a few in the ground by my fence. I wanted to see if they would produce anything before frost killed them.

They did, and they were very tasty! Better than I was expecting, actually. Me and my son ate a few of them raw, straight out of the garden. I'm making bean towers out of old tires this year, so I should have a perfect place for them. After the taste last fall, I'm hoping for a nice harvest of these, a purple variety, and Rattlesnake beans.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problems with the corn being inadequate to support the beans. The squash did do well suppressing the weeds and conserving moisture though. I have too small of space for it now.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2012   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Pick a very tall growing corn that you use dry, flour etc,pick a bean thay you leave on till the pods are dry and use them as dry beans, pick a winter squash, full vine, not bush. Leave them all till the greenery has gone and the squash leaves have died. The harvest all three together

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

A strong corn stalk (no sweet varieties) is a must.

Unless one uses the pole beans and squash, with sunchokes.
I call it the 3 Stooges gardening method.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about trying this at a garden site where I don't plan to visit every day. It's more involved than I'd thought.

I've found at least 3 places that offer how-to advice that differs a little in the details. Basically you make foot-high mounds, flat on top, 18-24 in. wide, 4-5 ft. apart. Plant 4-6 corn first, 6 in. apart in the center of the mound. When it's 6 or 15 in. high (or after a week), plant beans either between the corn or 6 in. away. A week later, plant squash either on separate mounds or 12 in. from the beans.

Renee's Garden sells a packet with multicolor dent corn, Rattlesnake beans, and Sugar Pie pumpkin.
http://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/bonuspacks.html#sis
and also gives instructions. They recommend a minimum 10x10 ft. area with 7 corn-bean mounds and 8 squash mounds. (Google renee's three sisters to get the page with diagrams.) I grew Rattlesnake last year and loved it as a green bean, so I'd substitute a cranberry bean or other dry bean.

I wonder if this would work with popcorn? Last year I planted 3 seeds and was so delighted with the burgundy kernels that this year I have about 5 varieties (different colors) I'm eager to try. Sunchokes would be fun, too! Someone at the community garden grew a 10-12 ft. corn a couple years ago -- I have to find out what it was!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Habitat,

If you want to out-do your community garden neighbor, take a look at Boone County White dent corn at Sand Hill Preservation. As for popcorn working in the three sisters, maybe. It couldn't be worse than sweet corn, though.

Sunchokes in a community garden doesn't sound like a good idea unless you can absolutely keep them from spreading into a neighbor's plot.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #10
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

We are doing a community plot this year with kids from a local school. Being planted is Cherokee White Eagle corn, Cherokee Trail of Tears beans and North Georgia Candy Roaster winter squash which is a smaller version of |Georgia Candy Roaster.

Seeds for corn was from Southern Exposure
Seeds from Trail of Tears from Johnnys originally but I have grown it myself for many years so using home saved seed.
North Georgia Candy Roaster was very kindly sent to me by a Tomativille member.

The kids are doing the three sisters method.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
If you want to out-do your community garden neighbor, take a look at Boone County White dent corn at Sand Hill Preservation. As for popcorn working in the three sisters, maybe. It couldn't be worse than sweet corn, though.

Sunchokes in a community garden doesn't sound like a good idea unless you can absolutely keep them from spreading into a neighbor's plot.
So popcorn might not work -- most varieties are only 6-7 ft., whereas the dent corns can be 12-16 ft!! Maybe I don't want to plant tall corn. I don't have enough space to plant more than a small cluster, and I imagine one of our good stiff afternoon winds could do some damage.

I've grown sunchokes there before, and they didn't spread across the path. I was pulling them at 2 inches for a year or two afterward, though. But I don't think mine got much taller than 7-8 ft., and they didn't seem sturdier than cornstalks. Worth a try.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #12
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

hi habitat i s dont think the popcorn would work habitat.. i dont grow corn except for my three sisters due to space but i am going to try blue hopi corn as it grows very tall and sturdy and itt made a ood roasting corn last yr although i didnt start it early enough for my pole beans last yr this year i am starting my corn 3 weeks before the beans
tormato you gave me a grea idea as i have red skinned artichokes that grow all around my garden they usually become invasive and i look for all sorts of ways to control them i am going to try and grow soe pole beans around them to see if that works,, i will have to control them from over taking the beans as they are the most aggressive plant i know lol
Old May 6, 2012   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I grew Texas Honey June, I think the name of the corn was last year.
Not that great, small ears. But, impressive, 12-14 feet tall! In not the best conditions.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012   #14
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I grew Texas Honey June, I think the name of the corn was last year.
Not that great, small ears. But, impressive, 12-14 feet tall! In not the best conditions.
Now that could hold up some beans!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote