Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2017   #1
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Default This mornings tomato garden snapshots

From left to right it's Big Beef F1, Creole (in ground,) Indian Stripe PL, and Stupice. The pictures of the individual plants are followed by their tomato pics. I received the seeds for the Creole, and ISPL, from a couple of generous members of this site, Rajun Gardener, and BigVanVader.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1013247.jpg (749.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013251.jpg (678.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013252.jpg (352.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013253.jpg (688.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013254.jpg (409.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013255.jpg (693.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013256.jpg (366.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013257.jpg (735.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1013258.jpg (272.5 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by edweather; April 20, 2017 at 09:03 AM.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #2
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

nice work ed. is there a reason you grow in the bucket and no in-ground?

looks like a pretty good start for so-geo? you must be on the florida line...
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #3
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, good call, 3 miles from the FL line. The Creole is in the ground as an experiment. Have also got watermelons in the ground. Where we recently moved from in Northern NY, we had a wet property, so just got used to containers. Being unfamiliar with things down here, soil, insects, diseases, etc, just used containers to start with. Plus, didn't really have a 'garden spot,' but could sneak in some containers. Have had some trees removed, and might have a small garden next year. The weather has been amazing, sunny warm and dry. Could use some rain. The Stupice is 90 days from seed, started indoors mid Jan, and planted out Mar 1st.

Last edited by edweather; April 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #4
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Thanks, good call, 3 miles from the FL line. The Creole is in the ground as an experiment. Have also got watermelons in the ground. Where we recently moved from in Northern NY, we had a wet property, so just got used to containers. Being unfamiliar with things down here, soil, insects, diseases, etc, just used containers to start with. Plus, didn't really have a 'garden spot,' but could sneak in some containers. Have had some trees removed, and might have a small garden next year.
gotcha. like that little seafood place down there in fernidina (sp?) and the history of the Spanish in that area.

thought maybe a nematode thing, as lots of ppl here say the sandy soil gets the -todes bad.

looking good and healthy.

figure a melon would go bananas down there, vines like to scamper. which w-melon did you side with? I've grown several varities over the years, but now just buy one on the 4th of J - the one time of year I eat a w-melon. back when I was younger, I would spike those things.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I garden in containers and hubby has built me raised beds with floors in them because of all the bugs in the soil out here. The nematodes, the U-name-it bugs in the soil. I sure don't want them in the garden anymore than I have to. I also have professional weed cloth under everything. My garden is about 21' x 24' or something like that so I bought the weed cloth from greenhouse megastore back in 2012 to lay out my garden and get the awful weeds that were out there under control. Also keeps most bugs off of me since they love to eat me alive.

When we moved in here the weeds in back were four feet tall throughout the entire yard. I don't think anyone had mowed in months.

Your tomatoes look great!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote