Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2017   #1
IdahoTee
Tomatovillian™

Default Targeting a super tall tomato plant

There was a post on the internet from the Zamzow's site a few years ago that has been since taken down titled "Growing the Tallest Tomato Plant". I am sad I never saved a copy because I found it interesting that someone would attempt to target massive growth in a tomato plant.

From what I recall, Jim Zamzow dug down about 5 feet into an 8x8 bed, filled it with soil and lot's of compost the previous fall.

Then he planted a mature tomato start deeply (removing most of the leaves), more compost, fertilizer and weekly applications of their Thrive product and something called "magic mineral". Unfortunately I can't remember the details precisely.

I think he was able to get it trellised to 17 feet high. If memory also serves, I believe Jim created a re bar cage with one sucker per vertical bar.

Here is a photo I found on the internet of that monster.

Is this something that growers target or more for fun/display?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giant tomato zamzow.jpg (12.0 KB, 141 views)
IdahoTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #2
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I don't usually grow for height, but I do tend to pinch off suckers pretty high up the plants. Here are a few from last year- a 12 ft Cherokee Purple at season end, and left to right: Early Girl, Early Girl, Brandywine OTV, and the same Cherokee Purple in mid-season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 foot Cherokee Purple.JPG (216.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2462.JPG (201.0 KB, 131 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

nice $&@?ing maters! And I thought my 6.5 ft tall ones were good! What do you feed your soil and/ or plants?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #4
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
nice $&@?ing maters! And I thought my 6.5 ft tall ones were good! What do you feed your soil and/ or plants?
Thanks! Just a little Tomato Tone every now and then, and Miracle Grow Tomato food every 1-2 weeks. My plants are always over 8 feet tall on the green Vigoro stakes. I tend to keep them extended and open, for good circulation and bee movement.
Old April 19, 2017   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thanks! Just a little Tomato Tone every now and then, and Miracle Grow Tomato food every 1-2 weeks. My plants are always over 8 feet tall on the green Vigoro stakes. I tend to keep them extended and open, for good circulation and bee movement.
Definitely something to be proud of. And to keep them happy through the long, humid SC summer is a feat in itself.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics!

After having struggled with supporting a lot of plants for years, my new favorite varieties are the ones I can grow on a single stake. 6-ft stakes are about a dollar. The cheapest support I have been able to build is ripping a 2x4 into two 2x2s and attaching them at the top, but that's about 4-5 bucks per plant. Growing compact varieties cuts my trellising costs dramatically.

I have heard about greenhouse plants that were overwintered for a couples years having vines reaching up to 30 feet. If I were going to go for a huge plant record, I would overwinter a hydroponic plant that already had a huge root mass. I bet you could hit 20 feet by the end of the second season.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #7
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Definitely something to be proud of. And to keep them happy through the long, humid SC summer is a feat in itself.
Thanks man! I'll need lots of luck and prayers this summer- I have 24 of these in the ground, quite a step up from 4!!!
Old April 20, 2017   #8
IdahoTee
Tomatovillian™

Those plants are YUGE! Very nice!

How is your production on a plant of that size? Does the increase in foliage take away from fruit production or are these big and productive?
Old April 20, 2017   #9
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Look for the book Guiness World Record Tomatoes by Charles Wilbur. That is where the website you mentioned basically "borrowed" the exact concept you mentioned.
I think he grew a 24' tall cherry tomato. There is a pic in the book with him standing on a second story scaffold to reach the top of the plant.
The book details the exact process he used and is an easy read.
I think he also had the record for most pounds per plant.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #10
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

There's actually a pretty easy way. Cut all the fruit. You'll get a massive plant.
Not sure if it's cheating, but it will work.
To get a massive plant that is also producing well you need to be blessed with an incredibly balanced soil (not easy) or go hydroponics.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoTee View Post
Those plants are YUGE! Very nice!

How is your production on a plant of that size? Does the increase in foliage take away from fruit production or are these big and productive?
Hey Idaho-

Those two Early Girl plants put out about 40 lbs of tomatoes for the whole summer. The Brandywine OTV was also quite productive, about the same amount. The Cherokee Purple was a little more stingy with the tomatoes- I estimate 20-25 lbs of fruit.
Old April 20, 2017   #12
IdahoTee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Look for the book Guiness World Record Tomatoes by Charles Wilbur. That is where the website you mentioned basically "borrowed" the exact concept you mentioned.
I think he grew a 24' tall cherry tomato. There is a pic in the book with him standing on a second story scaffold to reach the top of the plant.
The book details the exact process he used and is an easy read.
I think he also had the record for most pounds per plant.
Thanks Pure - will check that out. It's something I have wanted to try and accomplish for a couple of seasons now. Growing in the Northwest can be challenging due to season and weather restrictions, but I think it would be a challenge worth accepting. If I attempt to do it, I will definitely need some knowledge so would post a thread with progress.

Quote:
There's actually a pretty easy way. Cut all the fruit. You'll get a massive plant.
I hear you on the soil Zip, but I would want to absolutely grow for fruit (at least some). I would rather have a slightly shorter plant with fruit than a bunch of stalks and leaves. Soil and bed prep would be key. I would have to get started this summer for planting next spring. Thing is, I am not into purchasing a ton of expensive dirt - it would have to be what compost/manure and soil I can farm out here locally. Amendments would have to be considered though such as rock dust, vermiculite/perlite, etc.

Spartan - I was thinking of doing Early Girls if I attempted this but might go for a Sungold. Any suggestions for tall tomato plants would be welcome.
Old April 20, 2017   #13
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I grew a 9-10' New Girl in 2015 with no special treatment; I fed it with Mater Magic here and there, and it produced about 350 tomatoes. New Girl is supposed to taste better than Early Girl, but I've never grown Early Girl...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #14
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

It's my wife's favorite tomato, Hudson. She likes 'em tart, and tart they are! Early Girl is a great plant, and super productive- disease tolerant too. It's probably the most acidic tomato
Old April 20, 2017   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Unless you are growing just a few plants for sports, I see no advantage of growing supertall tomato varieties.
Most INDET varieties, given good care in a long growing season can grow upward of 20ft.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote