Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 12, 2022   #1
garden patch
Tomatovillian™

Default vernalization of Artichokes

I received some romanesco artichokes seeds. I have planted about 15 days ago and two have sprouted. I live in Toronto. So I know I probably won’t get to see any harvest of artichokes this year. I plan to place these in a 24” pot and put them in the greenhouse before the first frost. I hear that if your vernalize the seedlings they will be tricked into making artichokes…. Does anyone have any experience with this process and how to go about it?
garden patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2022   #2
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

When I've grown them (in Minnesota), I planted them fairly early and carefully potted them up into larger (maybe 5-6") pots, making sure that they went outside while it was still cold at night (40-50 F) while hardening off in the spring, just avoiding frost. Then I transplanted them in the garden. The variety I grew was a hybrid bred for producing early (maybe Imperial Star) and we got a nice little crop from them the first year. I don't have a place to successfully winter them over, so first year is it. Johnny's Seed tech sheet may be of use:
https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-...tructions.html
Old February 13, 2022   #3
garden patch
Tomatovillian™

I think I should get a heater for my greenhouse. I’ll follow these instructions. I hope this verity can get tricked into making artichokes. Thank you for the info and cheers!!!
garden patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2022   #4
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I've heard people say that if you can dig up the plants and overwinter them somewhere that they won't freeze and get them set out again early in the spring, you should be able to get a much larger second-year crop. I tried it but didn't find anywhere that stayed the right temperature for me. Good luck! I hope your efforts succeed!