Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 21, 2011   #1
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

Default Ideas weatherproofing 2 x 2 pine stakes to be safe

I recently purchased some 2 x 2 8 ft pine lumber and I will use them for staking my tomatoes. I plan to bury the post 12 to 18 inches in the ground. I will stake up 3 tomatoes to each post. I am wondering what to treat the wood with to perserve them and not to harm the tomatoes. I am looking for some ideas.

Thanks

Bob
hardwaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #2
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Linseed oil might work.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Pine, in contact with the ground, will have a limited lifespan. I'd just paint them with a good exterior paint - that'll give you a decent finish that can be reapplied. Be doubly sure to seal the end grain.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #4
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

A while back we had a problem getting rid of peanut oil we used in the turkey fryer... I now keep it in a 5gal bucket with a lid by the greenhouse... just stick the posts, stakes and even my hoes and shovels in for a few days when ever needed.... I imagine any oil would work, just don't use used motor oil ... many bad things in there.

It also works well on wooden handled hammers, pruning tools and I even dip my other tools from time to time just for lubrication.
Old May 15, 2011   #5
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

HWB, If you haven't finalized this project for untreated tomato stakes I would recommend Tung oil. Formby's, Hope's, or online at Real Milk Paint tung oil is a natural product, i.e. non-toxic that soaks into the wood. A protectant like this should last for years. I have used on many exterior wood projects with amazing results.