Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 8, 2016   #31
bower
Tomatovillian™

Steve I agree - maybe PPP and EPB just were permanently affected by the stress, whereas the other varieties I grew in the same conditions didn't have that problem. My only advice would be not to stress the PPP by planting too early or too cold.
Although you are north, your climate is continental so probably you get more sun and hotter days than we do. Low light levels also have an effect on the balance between vegetative vs reproductive growth, some varieties are more sensitive to that, and this is not a problem for you. So Pale Perfect Purple may do well for you, I hope so.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #32
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Bower, I may give it a try next year. This year I'm trying a lot of red varieties, looking for that old fashioned taste. Among them is Napoli a Fiaschetto, which you recommended. As you indicate, our (continental) climate is tempered by the Gulf Stream. However, it looks like the Gulf Stream is slowing down due to climate change. Global warming may, paradoxically, mean a colder Norway.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote