Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2016   #91
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 173
Default Thank you

I guess I had lurked a while longer than I thought....I had deciphered a few of the abbreviations. Glad to read the main list to add to my vocab!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #92
Harborseal
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA, Z6
Posts: 10
Default

I've read the whole thread and have learned some things.

First, the pirate's favorite tomato is Aunt Ruby's German Green.

One of the problems with being new to a community is partially learning the abbreviations but sometimes it's not understanding what the phrases mean.

What's Stump of the world?

Thanks.
Harborseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #93
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborseal View Post
I've read the whole thread and have learned some things.

First, the pirate's favorite tomato is Aunt Ruby's German Green.

One of the problems with being new to a community is partially learning the abbreviations but sometimes it's not understanding what the phrases mean.

What's Stump of the world?

Thanks.
Here you go, from the Legacy Forum here.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7544

SOTW was named by Ben Quisenberry, and in the link above,go down until you come to LQ Berry who was Ben's grandson, and what a surprise it was to see him here.

Ben was a very religious man and on the seed packs he sent out he wrote sayings from the Bible

The stump part referes to the Root,if you will,of Jesse in the Bible.

I don't understand the connection you made above between ARGG and pirate.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...s_German_Green

Note the history..

When I was at SSE in IA doing a program, Bill Minkey, a long time friend brought Ruby's niece with him and a copy of my heirloom tomato book. She asked me to autograph that page in the book for her,I did,and she started crying and crying,then both Bill and I did as well.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #94
Harborseal
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA, Z6
Posts: 10
Default

Arrgggh, me lass, have ye never heard of Talk like a Pirate day and the jokes?

What's the pirate's favorite state? Arrrrgansas

Why don’t pirate marriages last much? Because of the arrrrguments
Harborseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #95
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder
 
korney19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Niagara Frontier
Posts: 853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborseal View Post
Arrgggh, me lass, have ye never heard of Talk like a Pirate day and the jokes?

What's the pirate's favorite state? Arrrrgansas

Why don’t pirate marriages last much? Because of the arrrrguments
That's all Greek to me!









(Which according to my father meant, "No, never heard of that before" or "That's something I don't know anything about.")
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #96
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder
 
korney19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Niagara Frontier
Posts: 853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Here you go, from the Legacy Forum here.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7544

SOTW was named by Ben Quisenberry, and in the link above,go down until you come to LQ Berry who was Ben's grandson, and what a surprise it was to see him here.

Ben was a very religious man and on the seed packs he sent out he wrote sayings from the Bible

The stump part referes to the Root,if you will,of Jesse in the Bible.

I don't understand the connection you made above between ARGG and pirate.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...s_German_Green

Note the history..

When I was at SSE in IA doing a program, Bill Minkey, a long time friend brought Ruby's niece with him and a copy of my heirloom tomato book. She asked me to autograph that page in the book for her,I did,and she started crying and crying,then both Bill and I did as well.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
YOU should have had HER give an autograph for YOU!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #97
LauraYSG
Tomatovillian™
 
LauraYSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborseal View Post
I've read the whole thread and have learned some things.

First, the pirate's favorite tomato is Aunt Ruby's German Green.

One of the problems with being new to a community is partially learning the abbreviations but sometimes it's not understanding what the phrases mean.

What's Stump of the world?

Thanks.
I'm cracking up.
LauraYSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #98
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™
 
MichelleInWASt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lakebay, WA
Posts: 44
Default

Ah, the human memory has the lifespan of a soap bubble, but a double entendre on the Internet is forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
"... and I'm quite a few years over Medicare entree age..."
I trust that the sous chef at Medicare realizes that you MUST be served with a simple but elegant sauce of Opalka tomatoes <GD&R*>

(Enjoying your book, BTW - thank you!)

* Grin, Duck & Run
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★