Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2017   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Thinking positively...variety suggestions

There was a time when I not only knew most of the characteristics of most of the best varieties and actively grew and tested hundreds. After my strokes and the insidious progression of Alzheimers, most of what I knew is gone. That said, this year I started late and was reduced to getting plants at Lowes and Home Depot. NONE had the flavor of those I had grown in the past.

Now the doctors said that I have about a year to a year and a half. I'm calling B.S.. Just getting out to my tomato patch was the best therapy ever and has helped immeasurably in attitude, outlook, and physically. After being reduced to sitting for the past couple of years, my working around my little garden not only gave me exercise, but something to look forward to. Amazing how important that is!

Now I am thinking positively and thinking in terms of what seed I should select to start next February.

If YOU were in such a situation what would be your top ten (not yellow or black) for size for slicing for sandwiches, huge, deep flavor, and consistent long term production with minimal pampering? Thanks so much for your consideration!

Is there a tomato with flavor and characteristics that you love above all others? Wish we had a tomato hall of fame reflecting the very best of the best!

Last edited by mensplace; September 12, 2017 at 02:17 PM.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Elgin Pink
Olive Hill
Rebel Yell
McMurray#10
McKinley
Prudens Purple
KBX
Never Azorean Red
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Brutus
Honorable mention: Lithium Sunset
If you need seeds for any if these, I have them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Limbaugh's Legacy
Red Barn
Cowlick's Brandywine
Henderson's Winsall
Kentucky Wonder
Pruden's Purple
Royal Hillbilly
Giant Belgium
Arkansas Traveler
Crynkovic Yugoslav
Rebel Yell
Brandywine Sudduth's

I'm sorry I went over ten. If I could have added black varieties it would have certainly been more since there are at least a half dozen must grows for me among them.

Don't give up and just keep on keeping on. Good luck.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Curious, why don't you like black tomatoes?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #5
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Probably not true of all, but of the two I have tried they were both a mushy, super soft texture. Can't remember the varieties.... or much else. Heck sometimes I can be talking and go blank in mid sentence. Other times I can be writing something simple...like my name...and boom, nothing. What I can do is use my walker to get out to my garden and get down to grow my plants. It could be a whole lot worse, so I just enjoy every day!

There may well be incredible black tomatoes and I just am not familiar with them! Apparently B54RED thinks a lot of them and he surely proved right on my fall garden planning.
Old September 12, 2017   #6
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Gregoris Altai
Dester
Stump of the Workd
Boxcar Willie
Omar's Lebanese
Cuostralee
Rose de Berne
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Prundens Purple
Eva's Purple Ball
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #7
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I once grew the PERFECT tomato. That thing produced a fruit that covered a whole sandwich with one slice. Each slice was well segmented with rich, juicy seed segments. I despise soft pulpy flesh with almost no juice and no seed segments. The flavor was super rich and tart, It wasn't a globe shape, but a more flattened round with small stem area. NO cracking or A beautiful light, even red. A solid tomato of about 1 1/2 pounds. When I gave away all of my seed stock I let them all go. Wish I had that seed today...whatever it was. Too, years ago had a Cherokee Purple that was excellent. This year they were not fit to eat...soft, mushy, no flavor.
Old September 13, 2017   #8
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

One thing is for sure, in just a few years variety preferences can REALLY change...probably reflecting a healthy and continuous evolution of varietals and taste preferences!

Thanks for your updates! Wonder which would be best for next year's mater sandwich? Assuming........
Old September 14, 2017   #9
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Chapman
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Rebel Yell
Brandywine Sudduth's

These are very consistent for me, always top shelf, and are nice beefsteaks. I could add 6 more, but they would be second to these, or redundant favor wise.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2017   #10
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Varieties

sent in error to wrong place

Last edited by mensplace; September 14, 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old September 15, 2017   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Well, you need to try a GWR. These things are really good. Spears Tennessee Green has a nice size, 250+ grams (9 oz), and little catfacing (it does have some shoulder cracking). Good strong taste on the tart side but not too much.
Most black go to overripe really quickly, and best flavour is just a few days, I love Berkley Tie Die Pink but it's so gosh darnoodley hard to eat it exactly when it wants to be eaten (in some instances it can be too aggressive in acidity though). I wouldn't count the yellows out though, there are some which will surprise you with tartness and strong taste, like Aunt Gertie, Azoychka.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote