Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old June 4, 2014   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Sex Toys as Pollinating Devices

My girlfriend left a few things at my house. I decided to put them to good use.

My high tunnel tomatoes are growing well: http://i.imgur.com/2pjrOaN.jpg But I am not happy with the fruit set.

I made two pollinators. The first is a basically a vibrator on a stick:
http://i.imgur.com/kD0SXU8.jpg
The stick is the handle of a basting brush that came with a set of grill utensils. The brush is rubber and can be removed from the metal handle. I taped the vibrator to the rubber mount so the handle can be easily removed. Having the handle makes it go a lot faster. http://i.imgur.com/sRKsrNf.jpg

The other pollinator is a sex toy called a "micro bullet." They are about $10 on amazon. The one I have is the double bullet: http://i.imgur.com/rIRofVN.jpg If using a vibrating pollinator is supposed to mimic the vibrations of a bumble bee, then this thing is like a bee on a wire. I can't imagine anything resembling a real bee any more closely. The bullet is more fun to use, but it is slower than the stick vibe. It was covered in pollen immediately upon using: http://i.imgur.com/JEGXx9o.jpg I can see the pollen fly when it touches a flower.

I realize electric toothbrushes are the norm to use as pollinators, but they are expensive and have tiny batteries. I think sex toys are more powerful, much more diverse, and a more cost-effective use of battery life.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I assume when you say your girlfriend left these at your house, that means she is not coming back?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
....I can see the pollen fly when it touches a flower......
I tried that and the pollen was flying before it even touched the flower! I swear this has never happened before!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

We got in a fight about a year ago and she moved out, but we didn't break up. I usually go over to her house anyway. She was a little mad about the bullet toy, but I told her it was a business decision - using it as a pollinator would make enough tomatoes to buy another one several times over.
Old June 5, 2014   #5
Brandon558
Tomatovillian™

This has me cracking up! Do you think this will work with other veges... Okra, cukes?

Thanks
Brandon558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #6
Brandon558
Tomatovillian™

This has me cracking up! Do you think this will work with other veges... Okra, cukes?

Thanks
Brandon558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I don't see why not. I really like the mount on the stick vibe, where I can pull out the stick out and put the vibe in my pocket in case anyone shows up unexpectedly at the greenhouse, thereby preventing an awkward conversation.
Old June 5, 2014   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

O...M...G!!! Too funny!!

I'd love to see some peoples faces when reading this!! lol

Whatever works!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

OK, now I really have seen everything! I just showed this thread to my husband, and he said, " now I know why you spend so much time on this website". You never know what will come next LOL!

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
OK, now I really have seen everything! I just showed this thread to my husband, and he said, " now I know why you spend so much time on this website". You never know what will come next LOL!

Marsha
A person could put a real twist to these words.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #11
joseph
Tomatovillian™

They've worked very well for me... I prefer the "mini", "micro", or "pocket" versions because they fit better in my pocket with the other garden related tools I always carry: flashlight, pocket-knife, magnifying glass, 9/16" wrench, camera, etc... And the smaller versions are more discrete.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #12
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Cole, I dare you to make a youtube of you pollinating your tomatoes, it would probably go viral. lol
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I'd end up on Tosh.o, "We flew vibrator tomato guy to Hollywood for this week's web redemption."

My girlfriend used to live in Alabama, where sex toys are illegal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Ob...nforcement_Act
So I should add the disclaimer that if you live in the state of Alabama and attempt to pollinate your tomatoes this way, you could end up violating state obscenity laws.

I'm already starting to see a lot more tiny green tomatoes instead of dropped blossoms, so I think it's working. I haven't told anyone yet in person, just tomatoville. You people are the only ones who would understand.
Old June 6, 2014   #14
pol_bishop25
Tomatovillian™

This was so funny to read. You have my thanks for the nice laugh Anyway, seems like a good idea, especially when it's doing the right job. I am thinking to try it as well, just want to see the looks on my neighbours' faces.
pol_bishop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #15
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe it! Only at T'ville could this happen. You didn't tell anyone, but only took pictures and posted it on a public forum. LOL,LOL,LOL......

And we were all laughing about using toothbrushes...

Patti