Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 29, 2014   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default A 2014 favorite

It seems like every week I have a new favorite from our breeding program, but now that everything is in, I think this is the winner. The fruit is from a F3 plant of a cross with Everett's Rusty Oxheart. Flavor and fruit quality are excellent and I love the contrasting skin/flesh color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3W27-7-4.JPG (540.0 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by frogsleap farm; August 29, 2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #2
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful - a work of art.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #3
natural
Tomatovillian™

That is beautiful. What is the plant habit like? (Not sure what the F3 cross is.)

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

YES, THAT IS A REAL BEAUTY AND JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I DIDN'T NEED ANY MORE TOMATOES.

JON
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #5
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Oh, that's gorgeous! What are you going to name it?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

It only has an experimental code for now. I am a few generations away from having a stable line. This is one of 4-5 F3 sister lines I am advancing from this cross. They share a similar skin color/flesh color phenotype, but this particular plant has the neon green flesh with the red dot. The F3 sister lines also vary some in shape, many of which have heart shaped tendencies.
Old August 30, 2014   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
That is beautiful. What is the plant habit like? (Not sure what the F3 cross is.)

Bill
Bill, what Mark wrote in his first post was:

(It seems like every week I have a new favorite from our breeding program, but now that everything is in, I think this is the winner. The fruit is from a F3 plant of a cross with Everett's Rusty Oxheart. Flavor and fruit quality are excellent and I love the contrasting skin/flesh color.)

There was no F3 cross. What Mark did was to cross the Rusty Oxheart one with another parent he didn't disclose, and why should he, thus creating an initial F1 hybrid.

Save F2 seeds from the hybrid fruits, put out lots of plants, make some selections, save F3 seeds from each of those selections, etc.

So when he says sister lines it means that he made several selections at the F2 and F3 and is following them separately to see what he gets. And so far her likes the one he pictured, and so do I Mark, but as he said, seeds from the one he pictured now need to be grown out more until genetic stability is reached when all seeds planted give rise to the same plants and fruits, and there's no more genetic segregation going on/

Lots of work and lots of space needed to do that, especially when several sister lines are being worked with at the same time.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old August 30, 2014   #8
natural
Tomatovillian™

thanks Carolyn. I did misinterpret Mark's statement.
Old August 30, 2014   #9
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Well said, thanks Carolyn. The other parent in the F1 is a breeding line with a line ID and pedigree that would only be confusing - and not particularly useful here.

Mark
Old August 30, 2014   #10
natural
Tomatovillian™

hey Mark. My intention wasn't to flush out information on your crosses, it was meant to be a general question as to the plant habit (compact, sprawling, 4ft, 7ft etc.). Sorry for the confusion.
Old August 30, 2014   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful tomato, love the contrast between the lime green and the red. Looks like a winner for sure!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #12
peebee
Tomatovillian™

The clarity of the photo is amazing--it's almost like I can reach in and grab that tomato and eat it! I actually started to salivate. Cool, cool pic.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #13
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

For most of your crosses how many plants do you grow out in your f2 generation to get what you need? I know it would vary depending on how many recessive genes are involved but what is the most common amount?
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote