Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 12, 2018   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Up late to make tomato juice tonight

Well, I went over to Grainger County and purchased 4 bushels of what they called Beefsteak tomatoes to make my juice. I chopped up 3 bushels and have been making juice all day. I have the first 7 quarts out of the pressure canner and am reducing about 6 gallons of juice at the moment. It is soooo.... good. I didn't have that much out of my garden (at the same time) that would justify trying to make juice. So, I kept some of the juice from all the ones I grew and added the volume of the purchase and ........ Yeah, it's just wonderful.

I started with about 18 gallons of raw juice, and I'm cooking it down a bit more than usual. That's because I usually take out the seeds and then do the juice. With this setup, I've got a bit more watery juice that needs to be reduced.

So, it looks like about 24 to 30 quarts, give or take. Yeah, for those who haven't followed my juice posts before, I like my juice thick. In January and February, I'll be tasting some good stuff. I've said it before, and I'll repeat it again. It's like drinking a summer heirloom in the middle of a winter snow storm.

And, my recipe is just reducing the liquid and then adding canning salt. Nothing else. I've still got one quart from 2016 that will be next on the menu.

Take care, y'all.

Take care
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; October 13, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote