Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2017   #1
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Default Why do I????

Why do I need too:

build an Ark to grow my tomatoes/vegetables on?
build an Ark filled with my tomatoes/vegetables to feed the multitudes of plant sucking, munching bugs?
need my winter coat...in May?
and where did the sun go?
and why the hell is the wind blasting my stuff at 40 darn miles an hour!
I guess that a lot of you are experiencing exactly the same thing. :nod:
We have had record rains, flooding, oddly cold temps, and awful winds. Luckily we are well out of the flood zone- as some in N.W Ark. are not so fortunate-
We did get to see the Beaver Dam floodgates open. Not that unusual, but cool, unless you live downstream (White River). I was shocked to see many old trees uprooted by one of the latest storms.
I hope that everyone here is safe, and having a great season...
I sound like a pessimist-but I'm not-I will have my veggies! Even if I have to grow them in my living room!

Last edited by tarpalsfan; May 4, 2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: bad smiley
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I live in SWMO and we have gotten over 15" in April and it has been devastating for many people in middle America. I think it has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 25 years. Thanks to this site (ColeRobbie I think) I planted in raised rows this year, which survived the excess water in fine shape. If I had stayed with my usual planting method I would likely be starting over.

I guess we try to plan for the worst and pray for the best and let the chips fall where they may.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Better than extreme super drought.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Been unusually mild here as well. We had a big storm last week but outside of that Spring has been oddly good this year. It is typically hitting 90 or higher some by now but it has been in low 70s to mid 80's almost the whole time. Sorry for they ones suffering but I gotta say I am loving the 75 degree low humidity days. Feels like paradise compared to the usual humid he11.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #5
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I live in SWMO and we have gotten over 15" in April and it has been devastating for many people in middle America. I think it has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 25 years. Thanks to this site (ColeRobbie I think) I planted in raised rows this year, which survived the excess water in fine shape. If I had stayed with my usual planting method I would likely be starting over.

I guess we try to plan for the worst and pray for the best and let the chips fall where they may.
Wow SteveP I didn't realize things were so rough in your area.sure hope the weather straighten out soon. Coles really got it goin on with the raised beds, glad you followed his lead and it's working out great!. He's a heck of a farmer!. Sounds like Texas and Arkansas and New Mexico getting high winds. Always something! Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #6
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Wow SteveP I didn't realize things were so rough in your area.sure hope the weather straighten out soon. Coles really got it goin on with the raised beds, glad you followed his lead and it's working out great!. He's a heck of a farmer!. Sounds like Texas and Arkansas and New Mexico getting high winds. Always something! Jimbo
Thanks Jimbo. We had been kinda dry and then got a 6" rain. Caused some flooding in low areas but just saturated the soil. Then 3 days later it did it again, so it really flooded. Then 1" here 3" there. Forecast now calls for several days of sunshine, water is
quickly receeding and we are in good shape. Where we live the flooding doesn't affect us.
Old May 5, 2017   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks to this site (ColeRobbie I think) I planted in raised rows this year, which survived the excess water in fine shape. If I had stayed with my usual planting method I would likely be starting over.
woo-hoo! That is great to hear.

All these bad weather events have sent me into permanent ark mode with the garden. The raised beds are for the floods. The drip irrigation is for the droughts. I'm sure we will have both.

There's so much water in the tilled garden right now, that this afternoon when I went to the greenhouse, there was a Canadian goose sitting beside it. I think he thought it was a lake.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #8
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worth
And monster tornadoes. Those will ruin you day!
Old May 5, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And monster tornadoes. Those will ruin you day!
No disrespect to anyone that gets hurt in a storm but there is no weather event on this planet than the total lack of rain for extended periods of time that can be more devastating.

Whole civilizations have collapsed due to this.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #10
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Ive always seen it as dry weather hurts stuff and wet weather kills stuff. Easier to add water than it is to remove it..
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #11
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

wulp neighbor,

My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #12
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No disrespect to anyone that gets hurt in a storm but there is no weather event on this planet than the total lack of rain for extended periods of time that can be more devastating.

Whole civilizations have collapsed due to this.
Worth
Any extreme weather event is No Bueno. And I heard the Ice Age was a real bummer.
Old May 5, 2017   #13
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I agree, this has been a hard year for a lot of people. I am lucky, indeed. on high ground, though I did have a lake in my backyard. I guess we got around 10" with more expected either tonight or tomorrow, depending on what weather one watches.
What helped me a little was the plans for the self-watering bucket I found here. Cover the water...pipe...thingy..well, whatever-those two plants are lucky 'maters'. (please! I hope I haven't jinxed my poor plants)
I am worried about mosquito's. We have tree's with hollow trunks due to brush burn offs. I can't do anything about all of them. :fear:
Planting in our garden is impossible right now. But I have buckets and raised beds, and they dry out pretty fast.
There have been several deaths here due to the flood waters, I feel rather selfish to worry about growing vegetables...but, I guess all we can do it pray for those suffering, and carry on ourselves.
Anyway, I hope that when you do get more rain, it is a good, soaking gentle rain, and it comes when you need it! Best season to you!
Old May 5, 2017   #14
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth
NO JOKE HONEY! My husband and I were saying the exact same darn thing! I'd save the darn water for later if I could! I mean not just in gallon jugs with lids either. We have had bad drought for several past seasons-I have a big water trough tank for watering livestock, but no way to cover it-one word:mosquitos So the tanks up ended and I use it to but my plants on.
Old May 5, 2017   #15
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Been unusually mild here as well. We had a big storm last week but outside of that Spring has been oddly good this year. It is typically hitting 90 or higher some by now but it has been in low 70s to mid 80's almost the whole time. Sorry for they ones suffering but I gotta say I am loving the 75 degree low humidity days. Feels like paradise compared to the usual humid he11.
Awe! That sounds so nice It is sunny, windy, a nice here today! I am glad that your having wonderful weather, I bet your veggies are doing great! :clap: Wonderful