Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 9, 2019   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I am actually trying to eradicate a 20 year old mislabeled blackberry thicket that started with a thorny single plant. I cut them down to 9 inches and painted fresh cuts with a formulation of Roundup for Poison Ivy (last resort). They still look green to me, and the stubs are a safety hazard. Any suggestions? The canes are as thick as rod pretzels, or better.

- Lisa
mow them off continually? and roundup should take care of them.
Old April 9, 2019   #17
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Wouldn't something triclopyr-based like Brush Killer would be more effective?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2019   #18
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
keep the black as far from the others as possible. that said... pfft. black ones spring up everywhere all the time. I haven't grown the purples so, I really haven't looked into their culture. if you get no answers here try your extension service or ask where you bought the berries from. generally they have an answer.

the other thing want to warn you about is overwatering.
raspberries only need about the top inch or so watered to damp. do not overwater or you will kill them. We have drip tape and sometimes it got turned on for too long and it actually killed the berries. I lost the carolines at the lower elevation and no one at the extension office could tell us why they were dead... guesses was what I got. Someone then told us they were too wet. So now we put a timer on the spigot and set it to water for an hour. that is if it is particularly dry out.

Thank you. I started planting them today. The black will be about 75-100 feet away. I’m also putting the purple by the black. Some places say to plant the purples away from the reds and other places say with. They will get the same pruning as the blacks so I just put them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 26, 2019   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

So, just a quick update on our raspberries just for your information kind of thing. our Autumn Brittans have been in the ground for about 18 mo. now. We weeded them a couple days ago and tried not to accidentally rip anymore out. When my dear husband bought these it was over the phone and never had delt with the company before. Someplace in Michigan. We we're sorely disappointed with the micro size of them when we got them. And I do mean micro. They were tiny. We practically planted them mid Dec and left for Texas for 2 weeks. By the time we got home it had started the poler vortex. An Ave daily temp in Feb of 14*. It was COLD and the only insulation they got was snow. They were still not much to speak of last year. Yesterday we were able to harvest enough new suckers to fill in the rows where they died or we accidentally pulled them while weeding. So, fyi... Some of ours have gone hogwild with root growth far away from the rows.

Last edited by clkeiper; April 26, 2019 at 08:32 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #20
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
So I just received an order of raspberries plants. I have 5 different varieties I’m wanting to keep in separate beds. I’m curious about the spacing of the beds. From what I have read I need 6 or so feet but that is mostly for commercial production it seems. I know they will spread too. I’m wondering if that spacing is really necessary because I would like to put them with 3-4 feet apart and a wood mulch path in between but I’m unsure as to how much of a problem that will be later on. My other thought is that I could make the beds farther apart and just have grass in between that I would mow. I also plan on having the beds for each variety about 2/3ish feet wide by 10-12 feet long although I only have one of each variety so I am counting on them spreading.

Just seeing this thread for the first time. You may be setting yourself up for the same disaster I had many years ago. Trying to keep them in their own beds is like herding cats. In nice, loose, soil of beds that are not walked on?

My raspberries set our runners up to 8 feet from the mother plant, in one year.

Your counting on them to spread is likely an understatement.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2019   #21
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info on Autumn Britten. I order from Raintree all were bareroot but on that was in a 3”pot. So far Autumn Britten was the first to break dormancy. They are all planted not about 8 feet apart with field grass in between them that I plan on keeping and mowing. The black and purple from what I understand don’t really send out runners but root very easily when they touch the grown. Those are in a row on the edge of the garden. Actually Royalty the purple one is the only that has not broke dormancy yet but today I saw what looks like the start of it today. Also Autumn Britten had the strongest root system of all of them. It already had several runners sprouts. I know they have a name (maybe buds) but I can’t remember it right now. The beds will be 2 x 12 feet and I plan on mulching them with wood chips so I hope that will encourage to fill it out with the least amount of transplanting on my part. The grass is pretty tough too with roots going down 6-8 inches. I’ll mow down any that miss or don’t transplant. Actually on a side note I have a ton of mulberry trees coming up all over the place that I have been mowing down since we moved in. Our house was built over the summer and the majority of the property wasn’t mowed the entire time. I had someone go through with a brush cutter at the end of the summer. So they had about a years worth of growth. The mulberries are still out there and growing strong at about 5 inches. Persistent things for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old April 30, 2019   #22
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Thought I would post a few pictures of them.

This is the 2 reds and one yellow. Each row will run to top left corner. That’s been put on hold for the moment while I get the garden going.

The purple is closest and the black farther away. The rows will run along the garden edge I hope

The black is doing well

Old April 30, 2019   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Those are nice
When I said ours were micro sized... I was not kidding. Yours are awesome.