Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 17, 2017   #3691
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
How was it? To my knowledge I have never tasted leeks.
We almost didn't have this for dinner, I have been having trouble sleeping at night and had taken a nap this afternoon. Hubby came home from work and didn't wake me up. I woke up at 7:45 pm and he had taken out some ground turkey and homemade tomato sauce from the freezer to make Conchadoodle (goulash) for dinner. I thanked him for thinking about helping me out and let him know I already had dinner plans, and had everything cut. So, I proceeded to make the frittata.

I doubled the leeks and mushrooms, because I like a frittata that is loaded with substance.

I doubled the cheese and used 1 dozen eggs. I then decided I needed to use 3 ounces milk instead of 2 and promptly added that extra ounce to the measuring cup.

I used a 12" cast iron skillet and realized I had to cook the mushrooms for double time because there were so many of them in the pan. It all cooked down really well, but watch the heat, it doesn't need to cook at medium the whole time.

Cooking on electric stove it's good on 4 for the leeks, then I went down to 3 when I added the mushrooms so the leeks wouldn't burn. I also covered the pan to get them steaming. The last 4 minutes of cooking the mushrooms down bring it back to medium heat (6) and uncover it.

While the mushrooms are cooking down start whisking your eggs, season with the salt and pepper, then pour over your mushroom leek mixture. Start watching the edge to begin cooking and realize you didn't add the milk to the eggs, so drink that up so it doesn't go to waste (blame the sleepy head).

Spread cheese out over the top and pop in the oven. Then enjoy. It took 15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees, just as the recipe called for.

I'll let you know how it turned out.

Update: Don't forget to add the milk. This was a very dense frittata, but also very good. I think I would use a couple more eggs and not forget to add the milk to it. I would also add some garlic chives to the eggs as well. I served it on it's own, a side salad would have been nice, but we are having some strawberries in a few minutes and I wanted to save room for those. I will make this again. There is plenty for our lunch tomorrow and the next day.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 17, 2017 at 11:27 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3692
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

One pot vegetarian meal tonight with a side salad.

The salad was some of the last of my spring lettuce with left over homemade Cesar dressing from the weekend. The croutons were made from stale bread slices drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic powder, slowly crisped up on a griddle, then cut into small squares.

For the meal, peel and quarter some potatoes and put in a large pot of water. Place on stove and bring to a boil, then add flat Italian beans (I used my bush Romano beans). Cook until both beans and potatoes are tender, remove from pot and serve with salt and olive oil.

Once the beans and potatoes are out of the pot, add a few ears of shucked corn, turn off heat, cover pot, and allow corn to cook while beans and potatoes are enjoyed.

Serve the corn with butter and salt, followed up with dental floss.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3693
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, Frittatas are often better when served at room temperature, so don't hesitate to cook it earlier next time and let it sit until dinner, lightly re-heating if desired.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3694
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Every day of getting older sometimes seems to bring new trials. This morning I woke up early and still mostly asleep. At best, my memory is about a nanosecond long, but this morning it bit me in the rear. Being parched from my night of breathing through my CPAP machine, I was happy to see that I had left a 32 oz. styrofoam cup of last nights iced tea on the bathroom counter, so I picked it up and took a BIG gulp. No sooner did that go down than I was INSTANTLY awake.....spitting in shock and rising my mouth out repeatedly!

What I had forgotten was that late last night before bed I had done my weekly caththeterization. With nothing else to use, I had used the same cup that I normally have left over after a drink from the local quick stop. BUT, this surely wasn't Coca-Cola or iced tea. JUST d#$n!

I instantly hobbled my way into the kitchen and made fresh coffee. This is going to take several cups, BUT I'm wide awake. Enough to gag a maggot!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3695
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Serve the corn with butter and salt, followed up with dental floss.
Interesting. Do you use any sauce on your dental floss?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3696
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

mensplace. YECHH! I bet it doesn't happen again.

- Will Rogers

Old July 18, 2017   #3697
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yuck! Doctor Oz that wonderful man once was drinking urine on TV. He was saying how what you ate affected the flavor. He was trying one flavor after the next. It is sterile and you can drink it three times before it gets too strong or some such thing. I would never chose to try it. It is the very LAST time that I watched him on TV. Good ridden.
Old July 18, 2017   #3698
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Worst thing ever! Menudo very close second.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3699
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yuck. Need to clean that thought and palate.

Cod Cake lunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cod cakes.jpg (304.5 KB, 41 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3700
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Clean out the leftovers surprise dish =

Ramen noodles
can of tomatoes
can of tomato sauce
chopped up hotlink
leftover chicken and beef fajita meat
chopped onion
okra
Spices

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0054.JPG (68.0 KB, 42 views)
Old July 18, 2017   #3701
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yuck. , (lol) kidding, I think.

(had that last night...it's called 'shipwreck')
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3702
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of a story told by a doc of my acquaintance. In medical school, one of the older professors was teaching Basic Diagnosis.

Addressing the class he said, "Diagnosis is all about observation. You must learn to observe everything. You can have no qualms about anything. What does a patient eat? What does he excrete? How does it smell? How does it taste? Is it salty? Sweet? Knowing this will tell you something about what is occurring in the patient's internal organs."

"Here is a jar of urine. I will taste it." He sticks in a finger and tastes it. "I will pass this around the room. I want each of you to taste it, then we will talk about what you have discovered." The jar is passed around and amid many Yechs and grimaces all the students taste it. Then they discuss their findings.

As class is nearly over, the old teacher says, "Here is your lesson for the day. Observation is all-important, and you have all failed. You need to improve. If you were truly observant, you would have seen that I stuck this finger into the urine and then tasted this (other) finger. Class dismissed."

- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; July 18, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old July 18, 2017   #3703
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay if you clowns are through here is cheap eaten.
About a one gallon can of paste type tomatoes whole some fennel garlic onion powder and black pepper.
Total cost about three dollars fifty cents.
The tomatoes got crushed with a potato masher.
Basil and Italian sausage and ground chuck will come later.
Worked my tail off in the heat didn't eat lunch and took off a little early.
Worth
IMG_20170718_0884.jpg

IMG_20170718_2928.jpg

IMG_20170718_15363.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #3704
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

To make up for the lack of any food I am treating myself to a big ole 12 oz glass of red sangria wine on the rocks to cool off and energy.
Good for the blood too.

Worth
Old July 18, 2017   #3705
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The big kettle of sauce is now in the oven no lid on ((((((Roasting))))) at 425.
I will pull it and stir every now and then as the color dictates.
Yes I am having spaghetti tonight.

Worth