Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 11, 2017   #1
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

Default registration help

Hello! My name is Nicolas. I am from Spain (Andalusia), my friend Mr. Baikal has allowed me to enter with his first and last name, since it has been impossible to register in the tomatoville forum, I am passionate about the world of tomatoes and would like to share with all of you my experiences and concerns, but it seems impossible, I've tried for more than four months and the moderator or administrator of the page does not send me the confirmation to register. I also write emails and he does not answer me. I would like to know if the same thing happens to someone and someone helps me. thank you very much to all and I hope to be a partner soon. Greetings from Spain
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nicolas, it took me a while to be approved too. Greetings from Texas, USA.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #3
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

thank you very much for your answer friend, but I do not understand why this happens in the forum, do not make much sense the truth, since this is solved very fast whenever you want, it is very easy. I have registered with three different names, the first one more than four months ago ... it's a pity. thanks again and greetings from nicolas Spain
Old November 11, 2017   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Greetings, Nicolas, and our apologies for the wait. (I'm just a member and have no influence on the process). The site has experienced a lot of problems with spammers and other attacks and that has slowed things further. Trying to register multiple times under different names may not have helped in that regard. I suggest patience and hopefully your explanation about that will be helpful.

You come from a part of the world with lots of great tomatoes and we look forward to hearing more about them!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Nicolas! I hope your registration delay is sorted out soon.

I will add to the above explanations, that this site is privately run with no spam and no advertising, so at the owner's expense. The owner does a screening process for new members, but the process can't be done until he has time from his own schedule to do it. So we often see no new members for a period of time, then a whole batch of members get approved and admitted at once.

The site has also been hacked afaik and crashed for several days within the last year, which took days of work for the owner to rectify. Not sure but I think that happened just after new members were approved. So the owner's precautions are justified, unfortunately! I surmise that he is waiting to admit a group of new members when he's available to do the necessary technical oversight to prevent unforeseen exploits from occurring.

This is a wonderful community of people, and we also love to see new members and warmly welcome them. So please be patient, you won't be disappointed when your membership is approved.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I get sent many e-mails, I've used the same em that I've always used since 1982, saying they can't get into Tville.

All I can do is to contact Mischka about it since I have his personal em addy.

And right now I don't think he is accepting any new registrations,but I'd have to confirm that.

I once posted a lot at a message site called Garden web,now houzz. When someone brings up an older thread and I was part of it,I get sent a notice and most of the time for several reasons I ignore it.

But two days ago I got one and the title was...IS Tomatoville down...that one I responded to ASAP. The person told me that she/he had been waiting since Oct 15th,yes, 2017, I tried to answer her and told her that there was a long list of folks who were waiting,many for several months.

But then she got nasty and I won't go into that at all.

Aha,I just remembered who Baikal is. From the island of Mallorca, same island that Rafa Nadal is from,I'm a tennis fan.Vladimir in the Czech Republic get lots of Spanish seeds from Baikal, and more recently Gerardo in Mexico,the same.

I'm a big fan of Spanish varieties myself and get most of mine from Paco in Spain but we trade, since Vladimir has sent me some and I send some back he doesn't have.

As I said above all I can do is to contact Mischka,who owns this message site and see where things are at.

Carolyn, who also LOVES soft,not hard turrone, love that honey and crushed almond confection.

I forgot to mention that I have visited Spain,many different cities as well as small villages , a beautiful country, as well as Portugal,then crossed over to Morocco and toured there as well. I love Spanish food, the cheeses, the hams not just the soft turrone. LOL
Old November 11, 2017   #7
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for your quick response. I understand that everything is not so easy, but I humbly lend myself to help that this does not happen, I dedicate myself to the computer and I think the problem is simple and easy to solve. I am ready to help the moderator of the page, the problem is that I can not get in touch with the right person. I have been trying to share my selected Spanish seeds with all of you for a long time but I can not do more. thank you very much everyone for your understanding and sympathy. and again thank you very much to the baikal migo who has let me enter the forum on his behalf. Greetings to all and greetings from Spain.
Old November 11, 2017   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Welcome! and you are welcome here as many will be eventually.

Much more complicated than most think. Unfortunately many unsavory people
take on hacking as sport and fun/humor.
Hard for those just wanting to talk/share tomatoes to understand such
anger/jealousy or whatever the motives are.

GardenWeb was bought by Houzz, and a google search you will find a very
modern large home base building with many employees. Just 20 minutes
from me. They had a clear plan and needed a volume of members for
advertising fluff. Seems very successful for what they were after. GardenWeb
would be a thing of the past if they did not take it on.

T'ville is one person. Not wanting much more than a like minded group, no
advertising, just a nice quiet site for like minded tomato lovers all over the
globe...nasty hackers seem to have fun trying to destroy that....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Thank you very much for your quick response. I understand that everything is not so easy, but I humbly lend myself to help that this does not happen, I dedicate myself to the computer and I think the problem is simple and easy to solve. I am ready to help the moderator of the page, the problem is that I can not get in touch with the right person. I have been trying to share my selected Spanish seeds with all of you for a long time but I can not do more. thank you very much everyone for your understanding and sympathy. and again thank you very much to the baikal migo who has let me enter the forum on his behalf. Greetings to all and greetings from Spain.
I'd love to see you here as I've noted above but no, the problem isn't simple and easy to solve as you noted.

I offered above to directly contact Mischka, the owner of Tville, for you, but again,I'm not that sure what he can do if he's decided that for now there are no more registrations being considered .

My last question is , have you read at the top of the page how to become a registered member here and done that and see what answer you might get?

Or at the bottom of this page where it says CONTACT US,have you done that and see what answer you get.

If no answers back I guess it might mean that for now no new registrations are being considered.

Carolyn
Old November 11, 2017   #10
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Greetings from Ohio, Baikal!! Stay strong and don't give up!! Carolyn can confirm that I almost drove her insane trying to get my approval!! I too am just a member (an aphid on the tomatoes!) and have no say about anything but it took me forever also!! I am very interested in your seeds so sure hope you get approved soon
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Of course I’m not Mischka but registering several times under different names and now posting under someone else’s name will possibly lessen the chance of being accepted and may cause problems for your friend as well.
I would respectfully suggest you wait for approval ( or not) from the only person who can grant it. I am quite sure There is a reason for the caution and the reasons are entirely up to him.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #12
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

Good morning, and thanks in advance for your kindness and understanding. Maybe I have not thought well of the problems that exist to register and I understand perfectly, I only have resignation and patience ... I have no other option, I also want to make clear that I am not Baikal, I am Nicolas from Spain.
Mr. Baikal left me this weekend to go with his name. I want to clarify it so there is no confusion. I've been on the tomatoville website for two days and it's wonderful to meet people from all over the world who share my hobby. I am passionate about the tomato world and I would love to be part of your group, I will have patience. Again, a thousand million thanks to all. Greetings from Nicolas from Spain.