Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old September 2, 2011   #121
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Wow! fortyone, congratulations

I might go for that 100 day bit. Any one else want to put a time on them? I have one plant (planted late) in my little GH, in a 5 gal bucket, that is starting to point out the roof ventilator (6 foot), but just a flower or two and no fruit. All of my hoys act like an over nitrogen condition . Grow like crazy, but no fruit. But I have one fruit about the size of an egg on a broken branch that I will watch for ripe and get seed.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #122
cloz
Tomatovillian™

The Hoy are definitely a late variety. I picked my first at first blush and I believe that was 82 days. I have picked several more and I still have about 15 left outside ripening. My first was 2 lbs and the others I have picked have been between 1 1/4 lbs and 1 3/4 lbs. On mine it seems there was a delayed reaction on the fruit starting to grow. It appears there were some that set early and formed a pea size tomato and then just sat there for about a month or more without any growth. Then several of them began growing after that dormant period. I have 73 varieties this year and the Hoy are definitely producing the most large fruit. Next in line for large fruit is Granny's Heart. I just picked 3 Brandywine Sudduth (plant produced a total of 4). Will get to eat them tomorrow. DTM on Brandywine was 100 days. Cowlicks and JD's Special C-Tex were about 70 DTM.
My Hoy have very few seeds per tomato so I'm scrounging every one I eat for seed.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #123
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I think that I am in trouble on getting any fruit. I thought that they were just late, but on close inspection I see that there are many little dead stems or what ever you call the branch that should have flowers. They started little buds and then die even before the flower opens. I have one little BEM (down low on the plant) that I got a couple of seeds from, one egg sized on a broken branch that is hanging on, and one hope full on one of 4 plants. August was 95s every day, but one plant is in a bucket in my little GH and it never got over 85 with the swamp cooler. The one in the GH is 6 foot and still growing, but very leggy. .
The hoys are growing fools, but I need tomatoes.....
Any ideas???
KennyP
Old September 9, 2011   #124
WillysWoodPile

Default Hoy is Bodacious!

My Hoys are averaging about 1 lb. 9 oz. with 7 of them coming in at close to 3 lbs. Pictures soon as I thought I would tease you with this little preview. Sorry folks, I tipped over my PC tower the other day and I am limited on what it will do... that is... if it decides to do anything at all. I cannot upload pictures to photobucket. I am going to have to send it back to Dell to have it replaced.

Last edited by WillysWoodPile; September 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old September 25, 2011   #125
WillysWoodPile

Old September 25, 2011   #126
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Very nice looking tomatoes!
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011   #127
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Very nice alright
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2011   #128
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
I have a dumb question, Does the uneven shape come from uneven pollination? the reason I ask if mine never pollinated (heat??) and I had blossom drop. The buds dropped before even open. Could hoy be heat sensitive?
Those are beautyfull BTW. KennyP
Old September 26, 2011   #129
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

I just learned this recently, from this site, that cold weather during the early flowering stages causes the deformation. Later tomatoes are usually not as mishapen.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #130
salix
Tomatovillian™

DSC00770.jpg

Just thought that I would post a picture of my first Hoy fruit. Seed was sown on 30 March, transplanted into garden 29 May, first fruit picked at well-blushed stage 18 August and eaten 22 August. Taste was good, but not spectacular. Of particular note, in contrast to Cloz above, this was the third earliest fruit in my garden, excluding cherry toms. Bear Creek and Sleeping Lady were about a week earlier.
Old August 23, 2012   #131
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

That looks just like the fruit i picked from when i grew Hoy Willa,i also remember it been a early to ripen as well.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #132
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Just to update this to 2012;
In my raised bed I got a couple of tomatoes that look just like the other pictures, close to one pound each . Nice. It is the tallest plant among other varieties.
It seems to me that hoy wants to grow fast, grow big. to do this it need the best of conditions. It does not do well under poor conditions. One in a 5 gal bucket is 5 foor high but no fruit. One out front ia a planter box gives 2 or 3 tiney attemts.
KennyP
Old August 24, 2012   #133
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Kenny, I agree that Hoy wants to grow big, and doesn't do well in poor soil. It really wants a lot of vine, before it will set for me. This is either the 2nd or 3rd year I have grown them, and although I get one or two "early" fruit, it seems like there is a very long gap before it sets or fills out the next batch of tomatoes. By the time it finally has a respectable number of large greenies, it's pretty late in the season.

Salix - congratulations on getting a ripe Hoy! The extra heat this summer has also speeded up my crop by about 2 weeks, even though I planted most in the ground around June 1.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2012   #134
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I planted one Hoy this year, down near the lake. As it had not been an area used for veggie gardening in years, I didn't realize the hours of direct sun were not really good for tomato growing. Regardless, I did get about 7 very large fruit off the plant in low light conditions. The soil there is excellent, so I'm sure it helped, but I can just imagine with good sunlight how well this plant could produce. Definately growing this one again, in a better location!

And yes, definately a big plant!
Old August 26, 2012   #135
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

[QUOTE=ddsack;300180]Kenny, I agree that Hoy wants to grow big, and doesn't do well in poor soil. It really wants a lot of vine, before it will set for me. This is either the 2nd or 3rd year I have grown them, and although I get one or two "early" fruit, it seems like there is a very long gap before it sets or fills out the next batch of tomatoes. By the time it finally has a respectable number of large greenies, it's pretty late in the season.

I think you pretty well describe it.I had a couple of little worthless fruit until last week, then 2 one pounders in a very rich raised bed. the plant hangs over the 5 foot cage and must be close to 8 foot tall . with only about 2 foot by 2 foot to each plant. I though the taste was very mild and lacking. Very few seeds and a lot of meat.