Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 21, 2019   #1
Djrich

Default Fred Tomato

Victory Gardeners has a tomato called 'Fred' listed for sale. Has anyone heard of this tomato or tried it? Is it called something else? I can't seem to find a lot of information about it.

Last edited by Djrich; February 21, 2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: I had the seed company misnamed
Old February 21, 2019   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Victory has three "Freds".
BrandyFred Dwarf:75 days, dwarf — 'BrandyFred' is a high yielding, rugose, potato leaf dwarf variety that produces smooth, oblate, purple fruit that range between ten to sixteen ounces and possess a rich, well-balanced, delicious flavor.

This "Dwarf Tomato Project" variety was selected from the "Tasty family" (a cross made and named by Vince Lavallo in 2008 between 'Dwarf Wild Fred' and 'Brandywine'). Involved in its stabilization were Vince, Linda Black, Craig LeHoullier, Robbins Hail, Bill Yoder, Richard Watson, Patrick Sullivan, Sandra Tipton, Shawn Conant, and Bill Minkey.

Dwarf Wild Fred: 85 days, dwarf — 'Dwarf Wild Fred' has rugose, regular leaf foliage on a dwarf plant. It yields medium size (up to about eight ounces), oblate but somewhat irregular shaped, meaty, purple fruits that have an excellent flavor.

Another in the line of the dwarf varieties from the "Dwarf Tomato Project." 'Dwarf Wild Fred' originated from a cross between 'New Big Dwarf' and 'Carbon', made in 2005 by Bruce Bradshaw in California. This variety was selected and named by Craig LeHoullier (NC LE C) after his father Wilfred, from a humorous misspelling of his name in a church bulletin.

Fred's Tie Dye: 75 days, determinate dwarf — The rugose, regular leaf dwarf plants are among the taller growing of the dwarfs. They are vigorous and productive with fruits that are medium to medium-large sized (five to six ounce average), round, purple with jagged gold and green stripes and the deep crimson flesh of black tomatoes. 'Fred's Tie Dye' has a rich, intense, balanced flavor.

It was selected from a cross between 'Dwarf Wild Fred' and 'Pink Berkeley Tie Dye' made by Vince Lavallo, who also named it. Among those who contributed to stabilizing this "Dwarf Tomato Project" variety were Vince, Lyne Rancourt, Ted Maiden, Lisa Moore, Connie Dockler, Richard Watson, Gina McDermott, Bill Yoder, Simone Pennig, Scott Stough, Donna Marie Kudrak, Marsha Eisenberg, Antoniette Koshykar, Bill Minkey, and Craig LeHoullier. Introduced in 2015

I have grown the first two and like Wild Fred better, but have not grown the last one. I did not see any other "Freds" at Victory.
Old February 21, 2019   #3
MdTNGrdner

https://victorygardeners.com/product/fred-tomato-seeds/

Interesting mix of classics and new on the site, but sorry I'd not heard of it either. The description says it's a newer Missouri heirloom and that they're the only seed source. I would try it along with Hamson but my garden space is full! If you grow it, come back and update us.
Old February 21, 2019   #4
Djrich

Wow thank you for all of that information. I really must try the Wild Fred tomato. I had Fred's Tie Dye on my list this year but made a last minute substitution.

Fred seems to be a heart shaped tomato that they say came from a Columbia farmers market that was stabilized in Missouri.
https://victorygardeners.com/product/fred-tomato-seeds/
Old February 21, 2019   #5
Djrich

I went ahead and purchased the seeds along with Ivan. It's funny because every year I tell myself I'm only growing X amount of plants and somehow I amass all these extras I have to find room for in the garden. Oh well I can plant a few in between the roses this year.

I will keep an update on how well it does for me.
Old February 21, 2019   #6
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrich View Post
It's funny because every year I tell myself I'm only growing X amount of plants and somehow I amass all these extras I have to find room for in the garden. Oh well I can plant a few in between the roses this year.

This is why you belong here It is the yearly plight of most of us
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019   #7
MdTNGrdner

I have seeds for Ivan that are earmarked for next year. It's always tough to fit everything in!

If you get enough seeds from Fred and like it, you could consider sending some into the MMMM swap to give it wider circulation and help save the variety. Have a great season!
Old February 21, 2019   #8
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I think you might have missed one. I got seed last year of Dwarf BrandyFred. Stable DWF X Brandywine. It's got good flavor, although the plants weren't very productive. I'm going to try it again this year though.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote