Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 15, 2017   #241
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is what the instructions say.
""WARNING: Do not use pressure canner on an outdoor LP gas burner or gas range over 12,000 BTU’s. Doing so may result in damage to the pressure canner and/or property damage and personal injury.""

This has nothing to do with a gas burner and not using one.
Just the high output things for outside like the turkey fryers.
Use some common sense and turn the burner down.
Halfway would be 6,000 BTU's.
If in the house look up what your BTU's are and adjust.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #242
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting that from the instructions, Worth. We just broke down and bought a new stove and both front burners on it are over 12,000 BTUs. I need to keep that in mind when i use my Presto from here on.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #243
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Thanks for posting that from the instructions, Worth. We just broke down and bought a new stove and both front burners on it are over 12,000 BTUs. I need to keep that in mind when i use my Presto from here on.
You are more than welcome.
I have a habit of reading instructions to things I dont even own.
I read it over three years ago.

Worth
Old April 16, 2017   #244
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Here is what the instructions say.
""WARNING: Do not use pressure canner on an outdoor LP gas burner or gas range over 12,000 BTU’s. Doing so may result in damage to the pressure canner and/or property damage and personal injury.""Worth
Sensible users will always check the size of the flame under the canner, it's supposed to heat the bottom and not the sides. In a former thread on this topic a highly qualified Tvilian demonstrated with math that a vent could only evacuate a given quantity of steam at a given pressure. Too much heat could make a canner explode, even if the valve was juggling at its maximum speed.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #245
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Sensible users will always check the size of the flame under the canner, it's supposed to heat the bottom and not the sides. In a former thread on this topic a highly qualified Tvilian demonstrated with math that a vent could only evacuate a given quantity of steam at a given pressure. Too much heat could make a canner explode, even if the valve was juggling at its maximum speed.
I have seen mine on high go up to 5 pounds with the weight off.
But my high isn't very high.
You would think to over pressure plug would blow before the canner exploded.
even my old one have over pressure valves and one even has a second over pressure plug on top of the valve.
This give it three hole to blow steam out of.
Then there is the consideration of extreme heat.
Aluminum melts at around 1,200 degrees F.
It would lose its integrity before that.

Putting an aluminum canner on a super hot fire like those giant outside burners that sound like a jet engine running is a very dangerous game to play.

Worth
Old April 16, 2017   #246
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Worth is right in that today's canners will blow the pressure plug and release pressure before it will explode. The contents of the cans will release too. And turkey/fish fryers are way too hot to use. The Camp Chef stoves we use are over 12,000 and I couldn't get the pressure below 15 lbs even on the lowest setting. Now, I put a diffuser plate on it or raise the canner up a bit with a stove grate. That helps to regulate the temp better.
Old April 16, 2017   #247
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

The diffuser I used was (I think) from Lodge. I would suggest experimenting to see what works best for you before trying with a canner loaded with food. Presto is covering their butts in case someone warps their canner. We have lots of people canning dozens of loads using the Camp Chef stove.
Old April 16, 2017   #248
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

You mean a cast-iron diffuser? I have one of those and very rarely (like never) find an excuse to use it. (But then, I don't have a turkey fryer.) Mine's about 8" across. Is that enough to protect the bottom, or are you just looking to cut down the total heat transfer?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #249
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pretty darn simple to re regulate these things and change orifices.
Or just make one from parts.
The orifices and regulators determines the BTU's and what gas you use.
For a regular outside grill you need to put a kitchen stove regulator in line with it.
This is direct from the guy at the gas place.
Once this is done you adjust the oxygen to get just below the yellow flame at the end of the fire.
The kitchen stove regulator has a direction thing inside one way is for LPG the other way natural gas.

Well it isn't simple but I know how to do it.

Here is a better option.
There are many to pick from.
This one is 8,500 BTU's.
You will also save a ton of fuel.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QvhcIOw&adurl=

Worth
Old April 16, 2017   #250
loulac
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Worth1;632277You would think to over pressure plug would blow before the canner exploded.Worth[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't trust too much the safety valves of old canners, they are made of rubber that can become as hard as iron with age. What makes me ultra careful is experience : In a hospital I have seen a man with a completely burnt face, only his eyes had been more or less protected by his glasses. A relative of mine has been severely burnt plus a broken jaw when the sterilizer she was working with in a hospital exploded. The main sterilizer was on maintenance and she had been ordered to use an old one...
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #251
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I wouldn't trust too much the safety valves of old canners, they are made of rubber that can become as hard as iron with age. What makes me ultra careful is experience : In a hospital I have seen a man with a completely burnt face, only his eyes had been more or less protected by his glasses. A relative of mine has been severely burnt plus a broken jaw when the sterilizer she was working with in a hospital exploded. The main sterilizer was on maintenance and she had been ordered to use an old one...

My old canners are not rubber safety valves they are the ball spring type and adjustable.
I bought a new gasket for the kook Kwick it is too big around but I can cut it down other than that it will work fine.
It is for an old presto.
It came with a new over pressure plug I have no use for.
You are right you have to maintain these things to be safe and rubber turns into a rock over time and is of no use.
I really think they should go back to the other ones.
I test mine every time I use it.
I usually set it at about 14 to 15 psi.

Worth
Old August 5, 2017   #252
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Going to pull the old canners farther out of the stone age.
I just ordered the most important thing to do it.
I fluke meter that will read temperature.
With a thremocouple connected to the canners I can tell how hot it is on the inside by not just reading pressure.
This is something like type I will be using one for a super charger.
http://thesensorconnection.com/therm...e-thermocouple
Old February 19, 2019   #253
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the 4 quart Mirro Matic model 394 pressure cooker.
Going through trial run with some beans.
Brought to you by yours truly.
Happy pressure cooking and canning.
IMG_20190219_34353.jpg
Old February 20, 2019   #254
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Old pots, pans & cookers, they don't make 'em like that anymore. Whenever I go visit my mom I always take away a vintage item or two as she hardly cooks anymore. No one else in the family fights over them, they wonder why I want that stuff. Lucky me Looks like a great pressure there Worth, good find.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019   #255
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Old pots, pans & cookers, they don't make 'em like that anymore. Whenever I go visit my mom I always take away a vintage item or two as she hardly cooks anymore. No one else in the family fights over them, they wonder why I want that stuff. Lucky me Looks like a great pressure there Worth, good find.
I have yet to find any cast iron any place I have looked.
Everything seems to be the lighter stuff and non stick.