Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 28, 2006   #1
ZBQ
Tomatovillian™

Default Kitchenaid Strainer attachment

I am contemplating the purchase of the Kitchenaid Food Strainer
attachment for use next fall.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...Date&n=1055398

Does anyone have experience with this attachment for making tomato sauce and juice?

One of the reviewers stated that they had to run the tomato pulp through
3 times to get the juice out of it.

I have the food grinder, pasta roller and cutters and the ice cream bowl
attachments and really like them all.

Any help or tips about it's use are greatly appreciated.
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2006   #2
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Hey Neil! How the heck are ya? Where the heck have you been?

I bought that exact Kitchenaid Food Strainer attachment as part of a kit that included several other attachments. Best money I ever spent. Ken (Tom-Ato) also has one. He has given it high praise too.

Don’t know what the folks that need to run the tomato pulp through 3 times to get the juice out of it are doing. I cut my tomatoes into pieces that fit down the hole and out comes the juice down the drain slot and the skin and seed out the discharge shoot. Couldn’t be easier.

Hope to see you at the CHOPTAG events this year. Put in for vacation early.
Old January 4, 2007   #3
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

looks ok.. hard to tell....

does it destroy the seeds?

can you tell me anything else about it?

i just got my wife a big mouth 14 cup food processor for x-mas and a nice juicer both by hamilton beach...

as for the kitchen aid i do have the grinder and a slicer/shredder -attachments

also got a very small dehydrator and looking for a bigger one...
Old January 5, 2007   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I use mine. Also, the meat grinder is great with sausage attachments. I may be wrong, but I don't think it willl hurt the seeds.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2007   #5
dwlcrl
Tomatovillian™

i was told several people had problems with the attachment cracking ?
from that site posted.....
Old March 6, 2008   #6
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I used the Kitchenaid Food Strainer and was very happy with it. The strainer works great but my mixer starts leaking oil (into the sauce!) after a half hour or so of hard steady use.

I usally pass the tomatoes through three times. It is not necessary. Multiple passes gets everything but the seeds. Even the skins become unrecognizable in the sauce.

I recently upgraded to a more substantial machine. It has a slightly larger screen. Multiple passes don't get more out of the tomatoes. No matter how many times I pass them the skins still remain. The KitchenAid gets a plus for getting the max out of the tomatoes but a minus for not being heavy duty enough.

I have noticed some minor cracking in the white plastic of some of the attachments. They still function.

I won't go back to the KitchenAid for straining tomatoes because of the oil problem. I need to save the machine for mixing pumpkin custard.

Zeuspaul
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2008   #7
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I have the Villaware strainer, hand crank, and would give it high praise as well. I don't want to steal the thread but had a general strainer question...do you ever cook your tomatoes first? I never have, just cut and put through the strainer, then cook. A fellow gardener at work said she always cooks hers first and it is much easier to get everything out of them. I strain for the purpose of removing the seeds. I don't think I've noticed the sauce ever having that off taste in general, just when I actually bite on a seed. I really dislike that flavor. Anyway, I was curious as to how y'all do yours.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2008   #8
Melissa
Tomatovillian™

I've been eyeing the same attachment since my Victorio bit the dust.

Zeuspaul, care to share what machine you bought?

I cook mine first, but only because that's the way I was taught by my grandma.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #9
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I replaced the Kitchenaid with the OMCAN .45 hp tomato squeezer. http://www.instawares.com/omcan-elec...-big45.0.7.htm

If I had it to do again I would probably go one size down to the .25 HP machine. http://www.instawares.com/omcan-elec...a-2121.0.7.htm

The .45 HP machine is a little large and a bit heavy and has no splatter shield. I do love it. Maybe I need both!! Tomatoes are squeezed as fast as I can feed them. Also there is less prep because the throat is a lot larger than the Kitchenaid. It's at least five times faster than the Kitchenaid.

I bought the All American 30 qrt canner (14 qrts at a time)to keep up with it.

I also figured out that I can pass the sauce through a sieve after straining it in the machine. This significantly reduces the time boiling off the water.

Hopefully all the above will reduce tomato processing time by well more than half and save my marriage.

The first plants went into the garden today.

Zeuspaul
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote