Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 9, 2011   #16
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with that weather Jack.
I'm not in a really small town, don't know how the parking lot thing would work - I suspect they might not like the competition. But there's a lot of parking lots... Hmm.

Re. the Craigslist ad - still an idea. I have dogs, but they're in the house at night. But still maybe.

I get a fair amount of traffic here - I could just set up a sign, and do it like a garage sale too.

I'll have to think about it - thanks for all the ideas.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #17
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I''ll probably do CraigsList my self this year! However I've had a couple people recommend the local Farmer's Market... so you might check into that kind of thing as well!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #18
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. We do have farmers markets - but I'm not sure I'm quite up to setting a booth and paying for it and all. But it is something else to think about.

Of course, I have to get these things to grow up healthy first - it is my first time after all. Friends will take a few too.
Old March 9, 2011   #19
stoopeechee
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking the same w/ a farmers market. There's one down the street from me and its only 30 bucks for a stand. @ 2.50-3 bucks a plant. thats 10-12 plants to start making some dough back, I might try it if all goes well w/ my starts
stoopeechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #20
JackE
Tomatovillian™

HEB Markets, a large Texas chain, lets "local" gardeners sell in their parking lots, at each mgr's discretion - they will also buy uninspected produce from small, local growers - very rare for a chain store, but that's their policy.

I asked the mgr of the Silsbee store how they could tolerate the competition. He said that enabling their customers to get high-quality, home-grown, vine-ripened produce will make them a lot more money than is lost in the produce department - it brings many new customers for the store, he said, and they buy a lot of other stuff, including veggies and fruits that are not grown around here - like iceberg lettuce, asparagus, artichokes, apples, mushrooms etc etc. Fresh produce is actually a small part of the typical families grocery bill

There is a national movement toward "local" produce - driven in large part by tasteless tomatoes and fueled by the healthy-eating trend. HEB is thriving while most other grocers have succumbed to Wal-Mart in rural areas of Texas. "If you can't beat-'em, join 'em".

Is ethanol the same thing as that old "double run white lightnin'" they used to make out in the woods? I can remember many a "singin' and dinner-on-the ground" behind our old wooden churchhouse (we have a half million dollar building now!) when all the men made regular trips into the woods, including my father and even the pastor. When I tried to follow them my mother grabbed me by the ear, saying "men have to relieve themselves, leave them alone!" :-) But oh where those ribs and sweet corn goooood!!

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #21
JackE
Tomatovillian™

We never lock our house -a waste of time. All they have to do is to smash a window. If they can get past THESE dogs, they will earn every dime they might steal. If they took everything in the house it wouldn't pay their medical bills - or funeral expenses - after the dogs got done with them. We can let dogs run loose here - no neighbors to bother, just miles and miles of piney woods. My wife's cat comes in the house, but not those dogs!

Jack
Old March 10, 2011   #22
no charge
Tomatovillian™

I sell plants every spring right out of my carport. Last year I sold for $2.50 per plant (wally world was getting $3), and people just couldn't get enough (sold over 3000 plants).

Also sell tomatoes (Heirloom) all summer long for $2.50lb, have been doing it for 4 years now.

no charge
no charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2011   #23
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks no charge (and the price is right )

How did you advertise your seedlings for sale? Or did you?
Old March 11, 2011   #24
no charge
Tomatovillian™

Stuck a sign next to the driveway, also called in to the local radio station (trading post type program). Most people tell me a friend or neighbor had told them, really amazing how quick word gets around.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find people really like the idea of knowing where their plants come from.

no charge
no charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2011   #25
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks - I'll have to check the county regulations, maybe I'll give it a try (presuming my plants work out of course)
Old March 11, 2011   #26
JackE
Tomatovillian™

We got through two nights of frost okay. Had to run the sprinklers for several hours each night - from 3:00 AM to about 7:00. Pretty muddy out there, but the plants appear happy enough.

What do you use for containers, Tam? Peat pots, plastic six packs? We've thought about selling plants. We always have a lot of extras and could start a lot more. The problem is containers - very expensive unless you buy huge quantities. Also, our vegetable stand is closed this time of year.

We use 40 cell seed trays and transplant directly from those. Sometimes they get root bound in the early spring when weather won't let us plant them on time.

Jack
Old March 11, 2011   #27
dice
Tomatovillian™

I am remembering a sign on the door of a toy store:

"Shoplifters will be killed and eaten."

Maybe something at the end of the driveway:

"Please don't pet the tiger."

or

"Ignore the large snake. It only feeds at night."
Old March 11, 2011   #28
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Jack, I'm not sure yet - I've just started the seeds. I'm actually thinking of the styrofoam cups - since they're inexpensive. Maybe check out Gordon Foods for those soup containers too.

I really didn't start this project to make money - I just realized I'm going to have so many I think, and would like them to find a home. And heck, I like money - money's good too.

If I'm selling them out of a driveway for $2 or so, whereas the nurseries are $3.99, I'd figure I could get away with cups.

Large snake - love it.

I could chain my gate shut - doubt people would scale a big fence to carry off tomatoes from the back - and my dogs would bark. So that would probably be ok (I hope!)
Old March 11, 2011   #29
JackE
Tomatovillian™

The funniest sign I ever saw at a place of business was at an RV park in Georgia (before $4 diesel!!) It said, "unattended children will be captured and sold into slavery."
Old March 11, 2011   #30
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I thought doing a garage sale/plant sale thingamajig via Craig's List. I too wanted to reimburse some overhead, but most likely I'll end up giving the majority of the extra plants away.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote