Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 12, 2010   #31
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I read in another site that Black Cherry was not an heirloom and I skipped right into reading Black Cherry was a hybrid. A jump of illogical thought. My mental state of confusion is beginning to clear. I guess so much winter clogged up the brain cells. I am back to "Black Cherry is an OP".

Thanks to those who tried to explain away my mistakes. Sorry.

Last edited by PaulF; February 12, 2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: rewrite
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2010   #32
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Paul
well at least you were answering and asking on a tomato thread and not on a potato thread HA HA

I have seen people drift and change topics before - I may be guily of that - adhd and forget where I was!!!! ?????

Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2010   #33
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
Paul
well at least you were answering and asking on a tomato thread and not on a potato thread HA HA

I have seen people drift and change topics before - I may be guily of that - adhd and forget where I was!!!! ?????

Dennis
SOme days, I don't even know what day of the week it is...and I pm'd a guy once on another forum and answered his question at length but it was the wrong guy...He thanked me and then said it Sounded" good but he had no clue what I was rambling on about..."The Golden Years" my hind end...
Old February 13, 2010   #34
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Carolyn, Here is Tanya's description:
B.C KO T - HAS -</B>days, indet., regular leaf, irregularly but beautifully shaped ribbed red fruits that are semi-hollow inside. Nice mild flavor with some acidity. Perfect for stuffing. Most fruits are in 6-10 oz range, but the largest fruit was 24 oz. , Seeds saved by Julie Swanson from a fruit that she bought in a farmer's market in Sierra Leone (West Africa). Lucie shared the seed with Jeanne Krenning of Montana (MT KR J), who, in turn, shared it with me for 2009 growouts. , MT KR J 09 / Sierra Leone (West Africa) market
SSE TOMATO
Yes, that's what it was - I grew three plants, all of them produced the same 'semi-hollow' fruits. No meaty beefsteaks, unfortunately...

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #35
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Yes, that's what it was - I grew three plants, all of them produced the same 'semi-hollow' fruits. No meaty beefsteaks, unfortunately...

Tania
Hey Tania! I grew two "oxhearts" from seeds sent to me from a woman in
the Canary Islands and I got 1 red cherry and a red regular old round tomato...no oxhearts...You wait all that time and then uggghhhh...not even close! The Sierra Leone sounds like it might be a larger stuffer? That is what everyone seems to be looking for.
Old February 13, 2010   #36
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I think the 'stuffer' Sierra Leone was a pretty cool discovery, as the fruit shape is beautiful - certainly very different from what I have grown before.

As Jeanne mentioned there should not be many hybrids in the area where the seeds were collected from, and I am certainly puzzled how Carolyn and myself got such different results... I only have 4 more original seeds left, but I can re-trial this year to see what comes out of these...

I know sometimes environmental factors can cause empty seed cavities in the fruits, but there should not be too much variability in ribbing, I'd hope...

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #37
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think the 'stuffer' Sierra Leone was a pretty cool discovery, as the fruit shape is beautiful - certainly very different from what I have grown before.

As Jeanne mentioned there should not be many hybrids in the area where the seeds were collected from, and I am certainly puzzled how Carolyn and myself got such different results... I only have 4 more original seeds left, but I can re-trial this year to see what comes out of these...

I know sometimes environmental factors can cause empty seed cavities in the fruits, but there should not be too much variability in ribbing, I'd hope...
Grow it out this year and I will try it next year.
Old February 13, 2010   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I don't know how our results are so different either Tania. I do know that weather conditions can be involved with hollowness as well.

Jeanne sent very few seeds and of course I have to send some to gardenmama who raises my plants, and she sent me one plant, and then I have to send seeds to bcday who does most of my seed production for me and she didn't get any germination with the seeds so my plant and my fruits were it for Sierra Leone.

I didn't have enough seeds to list with SSE or even offer in my seed offer but if you want a few more seeds I can send them to you, not a problem.

I thought so well of the variety, but not as a stuffer, that I had planned to send it for trial to those places I normally do send varieties that I think are great. And I don't recall Jeanne saying anything about it being semi-hollow either. Having gotten other varieties from her she usually tells it like it is. Her Herman's Special that I listed with SSE last year and offered seeds for last year was one of Reinhard Krafts favorites, along with Moravsky Div and some others I sent him.

I thought Jeanne was going to list it in the 2010 Yearbook and I think I looked and didn't see it, but you know how an old lady can have problems with short term memory, ahem, so I should look again.