Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 12, 2009   #31
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm headed to the market in Santa Fe at 5:30 tomorrow morning. You know, there are few things finer than flying down the road at rosy dawn with a truck full of produce. I start plants in January, and here five months later, it finally begins to pay off.
Just a few tomatoes are ripe, but I have plenty of rhubarb, cherries, garlic, herbs, and some extra tomato starts. And it's supposed to be sunny and warm after a week of wet weather.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2009   #32
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

You know, there are few things finer than flying down the road at rosy dawn with a truck full of produce.

Yup I know just what you mean. I leave my home a bit before 4 AM so I can get to Madison by 5:45 or earlier.

I'm between crops right now. The tomato plant sales dropped off enough that it wasn't worth taking the big truck. I actually fit everything in the mini-van with the back seats out. I had 2 crates of kohlrabi, 4 crates of broccoli and 11 flats of herbs and other small stuff.

I was the only seller with broccoli last week. I think someone else had a bit yesterday, but not much competition yet. I planted very early and it was risky as the stuff I cut last week was "button heads". But this weeks stuff was nice since we got over 2 inches of rain last week and the weather was cool.

We have had at least some rain at the market every Sat since the beginning of May. Yesterday was no different. Drippy start. But by about 9 AM it stopped and about 10:30 the sun came out and it was nice.

We only got a bit at the farm so it looks like we will be able to plant a good part of our winter squash this afternoon. The weather is supposed to be a bit warmer this week too so that will be good for the seeds.

It will be quite a while before I have tomatoes for market tho as we are still trying to get them in the ground. We do have a few potted in nersury pots tho that have some tomatoes on them with a couple turning. But not really enough for more than a "taste" so far.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote