Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I have not read all the comments but I think you can do it with a trellis using CRW or cattle panel .
I have cow panels at the back of the place.
I want something light weight and I can roll up.
I have no idea if it is ((roll)) or ((role)) I gave up giving a hoot.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #17
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Another question.
Is there a low cost source for this stuff?
10 to 15 dollars for a 30 foot long by 5 foot wide/tall net is way too much.

Worth
Get yourself a shuttle, paddle and some cord and knit your own net for basically the cost of the cord itself. It's very therapeutic and personally satisfying to knit your own. Made my own cast net, gill net and crab nets as a kid and it was a lot of fun, especially when you caught your own fish/crabs from what you made. Same principle with making a mesh net for plants, but they won't wiggle around on you.
I saw some example/tutorials on youtube, although none that I cared to recommend during my short search.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I looked at pictures I saved back years ago that shows something like Garden/Crop/Vegetable netting that I used. It is horizontal lines with vertical lines tied to it. It's a lot easier than making a net and can be done really quick. No, it doesn't look proper, but it has always done the job. Best of all, you chose how wide the spaces are. This picture is my first attempt, and in years after - I did make the netting look a lot better. It is what I'm going to use this year because it works and I already have the materials.

What was that Canadian show... Red Green - A saying - If the Women don't find you handsome - they should at least find you handy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0005.JPG (74.7 KB, 50 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Get yourself a shuttle, paddle and some cord and knit your own net for basically the cost of the cord itself. It's very therapeutic and personally satisfying to knit your own. Made my own cast net, gill net and crab nets as a kid and it was a lot of fun, especially when you caught your own fish/crabs from what you made. Same principle with making a mesh net for plants, but they won't wiggle around on you.
I saw some example/tutorials on youtube, although none that I cared to recommend during my short search.
I looked at a few of those some time ago one guy might as well not done anything.
You couldn't see a thing he was doing.
Worth
Old April 2, 2016   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have cow panels at the back of the place.
I want something light weight and I can roll up.
I have no idea if it is ((roll)) or ((role)) I gave up giving a hoot.

Worth
There are also light weight galvanized wire netting like CRW and chicken wire.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I looked at pictures I saved back years ago that shows something like Garden/Crop/Vegetable netting that I used. It is horizontal lines with vertical lines tied to it. It's a lot easier than making a net and can be done really quick. No, it doesn't look proper, but it has always done the job. Best of all, you chose how wide the spaces are. This picture is my first attempt, and in years after - I did make the netting look a lot better. It is what I'm going to use this year because it works and I already have the materials.

What was that Canadian show... Red Green - A saying - If the Women don't find you handsome - they should at least find you handy.

I have made a bunch of those and have one now.
I want a real net because I am spoiled.

Worth
Old April 2, 2016   #22
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I looked at a few of those some time ago one guy might as well not done anything.
You couldn't see a thing he was doing.
Worth
I looked at a couple and realized that I might be searching for an hour for a good example. The process itself is VERY simple, I was hoping someone would have a good example.... NOT! Maybe I will have to sharpen up my skills from 30+ years ago and show people how to do it (clearly).
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
There are also light weight galvanized wire netting like CRW and chicken wire.

Gardeneer
I have several rolls of different fencing and someone stole my chicken wire some time ago where I used to live.
Who in hell steals chicken wire of all things.
Worth
Old April 2, 2016   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Spoiled I know what you mean.

But there's something about real DYI that ... I guess I'm still in that stage of using stuff that everyone else says to toss it. It sits around for years/decades and suddenly it becomes not only useful but people who see what you've done with it - tells you how good it looks. The wire in the picture is the same wire I'm using this year. It came from a barn that we got it from in 1982. It was covered in dust then. Some of the wire is aluminum. It's at least 35 years old. That makes me want to use it that much more.

I guess you can call that frugal. I see it as using what is available to make things better.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Spoiled I know what you mean.

But there's something about real DYI that ... I guess I'm still in that stage of using stuff that everyone else says to toss it. It sits around for years/decades and suddenly it becomes not only useful but people who see what you've done with it - tells you how good it looks. The wire in the picture is the same wire I'm using this year. It came from a barn that we got it from in 1982. It was covered in dust then. Some of the wire is aluminum. It's at least 35 years old. That makes me want to use it that much more.

I guess you can call that frugal. I see it as using what is available to make things better.
I dont guess you have seen my rusty crooked hog fence I found on the side of the road I am using now.
Worth
Old April 3, 2016   #26
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Default Supporting Tomatoes with Vegetable Trellis

This will be my 4th year using Plant Trellis. Still using the same trellis, it's uv resistant and holds up well. It works great for tomatoes, cucumbers, and pole beans.

Cleanup is easy if you will do the following: After your harvest is complete, use a hoe to cut the vines at the ground. Leave it alone until they become dry and brittle. Then they will strip off the trellis without a problem.

This is what I use. (59" x 328') I fasten it 8 - 10 inches above the ground so it doesn't interfere with hoeing or weed eating: https://www.hummert.com/product-deta...-plant-trellis

I leave mine in place year round, it would probably last even longer if taken down and stored out of the light when it's not in use. (But it's mighty convenient to be able to till and plant with the supports ready to go.)

I use 7' between rows (4' earth bermed raised beds with a 3' middle between beds). My rows are 90' long, so a roll will do 3 rows. The netting cost about $30 per row, but divided over a 4 year life, it's about $7.50 a year per row. With 10 rows trellised, compare the cost of 3 rolls of trellis to 900' of cattle panels. I'll replace it after this year, but not with cattle panels. Claud

Using the trellis with Pole Beans: http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...76&postcount=3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 6-25-2015 003.JPG (321.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-25-2015 015.jpg (647.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-25-2015 035.JPG (495.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-25-2015 037.jpg (713.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 6-25-2015 057.jpg (630.3 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by saltmarsh; April 3, 2016 at 01:42 AM. Reason: added a link for Pole Beans
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
netting , trellis