Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 10, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default my evolving grow list for 2013

so here is the grow list. i'm waiting on a seed order so my list will change slightly. i'd like to cut out a few so any thoughts on that?

REDS

Big beef
Stupice
Druzba
Brandywine X Neves Azorean Red PL F4
Brandywine X Neves Azorean Red RL F4
Burpee Big Boy
Aunt Lou’s Underground Railroad
Neptune
Floradade

Pinks

Momotaro
Odoriko
GMG PINK
Cowlick Brandywine
Barlow Jap
Arkansas Traveler
New Big Dwarf

Black/Purple

Cher Purple
Black Master
Rosella Purple

Green

Cherokee Green

Yellow/orange/white

Blonde Boar
KBX
Kelloggs Breakfast
Barnes Mountain Yellow
Amana orange
Dwarf Mr Snow

Cherries

Sun Cherry extra sweet
Sun Gold F1
Matts Wild Cherry
White Cherry
Winter Grape
chocolate cherry
black cherry

Here is the list of seeds i'm waiting for. i'd like to add a few of these to the grow list

PRIZE OF THE TRIALS
CHEROKEE CHOCOLATE
GOOSE CREEK
GREEN GRAPE
PAUL ROBESON
DELICIOUS
NEW YORKER
SOLDACKI

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #2
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

For me personally, Prize of the Trials was a much better cherry than Sungold. We had very strange weather last year, and Sungold didn't do well and the skins were so tough.

I'm also not crazy about Stupice for your early red. Great plant but the tomatoes aren't that tasty. Was really impressed with Matina this year. Best flavor for that early in the season. I think I got those seeds in an exchange and wasn't expecting that much from it, so was pleasantly surprised.

I liked Goose Creek this season, it's first for me. Haven't grown Green Grape in a while, but I remember it being quite tasty. Hope that helps.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #3
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

My tentative grow list is as follows. Two of each plant, with the exceptions noted:

Costoluto Genovese
Winsall
Big Beef
Beefsteak
Supersweet 100
Cherokee Purple
Bloody Butcher x1
Red Beacon x1
Iditarod Red*
Yukon Quest*
Tasmanian Chocolate*
Rosella Purple*
Arctic Rose
Sweet Sue*

* Denotes a dwarf project variety.

This list is pretty firm, though I may end up trying to squeeze in a Goose Creek or 2.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just noting that this cross, initially made by Bill Jeffers, has been genetically stabilized, I think out to the F7, and the stable one is called Dixiewine and is available commercially. I'm pretty sure that the stable is also PL.

Carolyn
Old December 11, 2012   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Just noting that this cross, initially made by Bill Jeffers, has been genetically stabilized, I think out to the F7, and the stable one is called Dixiewine and is available commercially. I'm pretty sure that the stable is also PL.

Carolyn
Wow, thank you Carolyn, I did not know that - will check it out!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Nice list, TightenUp! I love Paul Robeson, Cherokee Chocolate and Green, Kellogg's Breakfast, Druzba, New Big Dwarf.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #7
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Dixiewine is regular leaf; it's the NARX that Tom in NJ and Raybo grew for years. The Brannar from the same batch is PL-that's the version that
Ted/Ami made famous through mouth-watering photos here at T'ville.
I had sent Jeff both RL and PL seed that I grew out from F3 seed I was
given.

I think I sent Jeff F4 seed (he may be growing that or his F5 saved seed-
I could also be a bit confused here, too!). I had sent him that seed before
I knew that "variety" would be available commercially.

Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #8
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Darlene

the seeds you sent produced my fav red last season. i made an attempt to save the seeds(not only for me but bill jeffers asked for seed when he saw my plant and tomatoes it produced) using the oxiclean method and for some reason i couldnt get any to germinate. my plate of dry seeds was then thrown in the garbage accidentally, i mean who thinks tomato seeds look like sesame seeds...really???

anyway i will attempt to get similar results with some more of the seeds you sent.

Nancy

i cant wait to try Prize of the trials. i will have sungold f1 which i am in love with right next to it for a side by side.

stupice is one i've never grown before but gets so many good reviews. the only early i have experience with is kimberly which was pretty good but i lost the seeds or ran out, either way i decided to go with something new.

Old December 11, 2012   #9
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

any thoughts on which yellow/orange should be removed from the list??

Old December 11, 2012   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightenUp View Post
any thoughts on which yellow/orange should be removed from the list??
Well you have Kellogg's and KBX.....They are basically the same. One being a bit of an "improvement" on the original. So either one of those that you prefer you could keep and the other get rid of as redundant.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #11
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Well you have Kellogg's and KBX.....They are basically the same. One being a bit of an "improvement" on the original. So either one of those that you prefer you could keep and the other get rid of as redundant.

kelloggs breakfast might have been my fav tomato last season so i cant dump that one and kbx is the "improved one". you see my dilemma with those 2

Old December 11, 2012   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
kelloggs breakfast might have been my fav tomato last season so i cant dump that one and kbx is the "improved one". you see my dilemma with those 2
I have 40 on my list and 5 of them are different strains of Rutger's! And there are about 5 more strains of Rutgers I probably should try and very nice people here told me about, but it is starting to get ridiculous! So yes! I do see your dilemma!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old December 11, 2012   #13
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I have 40 on my list and 5 of them are different strains of Rutger's! And there are about 5 more strains of Rutgers I probably should try and very nice people here told me about, but it is starting to get ridiculous! So yes! I do see your dilemma!
funny you should say that. an old local farmer grew rutgers this year and wasnt impressed and said it was a bad strain. i had no idea there were diff strains of rutgers until he mentioned it.

how do you tell the strains apart and as of now whats your fav? i'm in jersey so a good rutgers strain should kick a$$ here

Old December 11, 2012   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
funny you should say that. an old local farmer grew rutgers this year and wasnt impressed and said it was a bad strain. i had no idea there were diff strains of rutgers until he mentioned it.

how do you tell the strains apart and as of now whats your fav? i'm in jersey so a good rutgers strain should kick a$$ here
The reason I am growing so many is because I am trying to find my old favorite strain! I lost it over the years. When I semi retired off the marine engineer gig I had for years and started getting serious about gardening again, (and hopefully farming again in the next few years) of course I first tried to grow Rutgers, my old favorite. Boy was I surprised to find out the plant was nothing at all like my old favorite strain.

The tomatoes are pretty much the same, but the productivity, vigor and growth habits are completely different! Taste was slightly different too, but soil and weather could be the reason for that.

Best I can say is that the Rutger's I remember was a commercial semi determinate strain with improved disease resistance. I'll know it when I see it. Carolyn on another thread helped me out immensely by pointing out a lead with Purdue University in Indiana. They developed Rutger's for commercial use and I lived there back then and got my plants in commercial bare root bundles of 50-100 each. So while not proof that was the source, it is at least my best lead so far.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old December 11, 2012   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Carolyn,
Dixiewine is regular leaf; it's the NARX that Tom in NJ and Raybo grew for years. The Brannar from the same batch is PL-that's the version that
Ted/Ami made famous through mouth-watering photos here at T'ville.
I had sent Jeff both RL and PL seed that I grew out from F3 seed I was
given.

I think I sent Jeff F4 seed (he may be growing that or his F5 saved seed-
I could also be a bit confused here, too!). I had sent him that seed before
I knew that "variety" would be available commercially.

Darlene
Thanks for the correction Darlene. What I know is that Bill sent me F2 seeds from the original cross between Neves Azorean Red, my original seeds from Chuck Perry and the history is well known and a variety I love, and Brandywine and I grew out some of those seeds but then when I fell and severed those darn quad muscles I could no longer do large growouts of a single variety/

So RL it is for Dixiewine.

Carolyn