Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 19, 2012   #1
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

Default Balcony Mini-Garden facing East, can I still grow dwarf tomatoes?

Hi to all! I am feeling encouraged to ask some questions after the warm and gracious welcome received at my introduction!

I am hoping to find some advise on growing some dwarf tomatoes and salad fixings on a 5 x 11 balcony facing East-South(?) with morning FL. sun till noon and the rest of the day part/sun.

I am in the central FL area, zone 9 about 15 mins. from Disney...in the Four corners area, Polk County...side for those that live in this area!

I am trying to do my best in a frugal manner with what I have, I am disabled and in limited income...any frugal container growing advice is def. welcome!!!

Thank you in advance and Many Blessings!
jenarzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You're in Winter Haven, right? I used to live in Lakeland. It's great weather.

I think you'll be fine. The Florida sun is so intense that I think less than full sun would still work.

I haven't grown dwarf tomatoes, but with container growing, the biggest costs for me are the container itself and the media (I'd say "dirt," but there is no actual dirt in it.) You can use anything as a grow container - generally, the prettier a pot is, the more they gouge you on the price. A 5-gallon bucket works if that is all you can get. If you are making drain holes in a bucket, put them about three inches up from the bottom, on the sides. That gives the plant a water reservoir to help prevent drying-out and regulate moisture.

As for media, don't skimp. Don't use "potting soil." Look for "pro mix" instead. It comes in a compressed square. I pay about $3.50 per cubic foot. A 5-gallon bucket is about 2/3 of a cubic foot.

Finally, fertilizer is another area not to skimp too much. Everybody seems to fertilize differently. I really like Osmocote time-release fertilizer: http://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-27540...words=osmocote

There are other brands of the same stuff, but it's easy to use and gives good results. I also used Epsom salt and molasses, both of which are cheap.

Good luck with everything. I think you will find that is easier than you think
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #3
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
You're in Winter Haven, right? I used to live in Lakeland. It's great weather.

I think you'll be fine. The Florida sun is so intense that I think less than full sun would still work.

I haven't grown dwarf tomatoes, but with container growing, the biggest costs for me are the container itself and the media (I'd say "dirt," but there is no actual dirt in it.) You can use anything as a grow container - generally, the prettier a pot is, the more they gouge you on the price. A 5-gallon bucket works if that is all you can get. If you are making drain holes in a bucket, put them about three inches up from the bottom, on the sides. That gives the plant a water reservoir to help prevent drying-out and regulate moisture.

As for media, don't skimp. Don't use "potting soil." Look for "pro mix" instead. It comes in a compressed square. I pay about $3.50 per cubic foot. A 5-gallon bucket is about 2/3 of a cubic foot.

Finally, fertilizer is another area not to skimp too much. Everybody seems to fertilize differently. I really like Osmocote time-release fertilizer: http://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-27540...words=osmocote

There are other brands of the same stuff, but it's easy to use and gives good results. I also used Epsom salt and molasses, both of which are cheap.

Good luck with everything. I think you will find that is easier than you think
Thank you so much Cole Robbie for those ideas! Keep them coming if you have more please...jejeje...I can use all I can get, specially from those experienced container gardeners!

Many Blessings! I'm in the Four Corners area where 4 counties meet on the Polk Cty side...US 192 and US 27...
jenarzo is offline   Reply With Quote