Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2007   #16
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

its always better to keep a bottle of that fruit setting spray for just such times like this, Betapel or simular brands,

Although having said that-I absolutlly hate tomatoes without seeds in them-usually pretty tasteless.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #17
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Warren, Walmart sells lots of other things so they need to move the seeds out to make room. I was actually thinking about seed companies that don't sell anything but seeds and garden supplies. Mariseeds is shut down for a month now and Sand Hill will not send out seeds after something like Aug. 15. Not sure about seed companies like Burpee or Park. For the most part, if you're looking at places that sell OP seed, you can get it any time of year. I keep tomato seed for several years with little or no germination problems so if you see something that's hard to find, might as well go ahead and pick it up.
Old June 13, 2007   #18
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi again, Warren. If you are looking for hybrid or OP tomato seed, www.tomatogrowers.com is a good choice and they ship all year. If you want OP, I like www.victoryseeds.com and they ship all year. They have some fun stuff. And as I said, Mariseeds is closed right now but you might still want to take a look at the selection for fun. It's www.mariseeds.com and also, look at the plant and seed source section at this site for lots more info.
Old June 13, 2007   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael johnson View Post
its always better to keep a bottle of that fruit setting spray for just such times like this, Betapel or simular brands,
As you know, fruit set spray does nothing for blossom drop due to heat and humidity. It only helps when blossom drop is due to cold.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #20
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Here are some picture of what I was/am talking about....these are near the tops of the plants...

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #21
creister
Tomatovillian™

Harley,

I would definately recommend Cherokee Purple as one of your blacks to try for next year. I have grown it three years in a row, and it has been very consistant, tastes great, and produces well for me. I don't have your humidity on a regular basis. I would also recommend Noir de Crimee. The plant I grew this year was frozen, got some 2,4 -D drift and finally recovered and has been setting fruit very well. I cannot comment on the taste, as this is the first year for growing it. You can get the seeds at sandhill preservation.

We have had many days in the 80's and nights in the 60's and many of my beefstakes have set very few fruit. Persimmon and Pink Potato Top have done absolutly nothing. Crnkovich Yugoslavian has one tomato between two plants. I have had many blossoms on all plants. Just strange. Good luck. If you have limited space, go over to the Container section. The homade earthbox thread is very interesting. I made some this year, and they work unbelievebly well.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote