Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 8, 2006   #1
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone else grow Paprika

Last year I grew three pakrika peppers...thought I would grind my own powder. I dried the peppers in my dehydrator and ground them in a coffee mill. What a difference in flavor over what you buy in the store...wonderful tasting and got raves from people when I made deviled eggs for a Memorial Day party and toped with my home-made paprika.

I used up the seeds I got last year from heirloomacres...would like to try other versions of paprika...anyone else familar with this variety?

Thanks,
Adenn
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Just one of the many things I look forward to from my garden. My paprika supply. I usually put some in holiday gift baskets.

I don't know what heirloom acres sells. It just says paprika pepper. Was it a sweet or hot paprika? I've been growing Boldog Kolasca since 2002 and Sipka Belaja every other year since then. Last year I tried Alma Paprika Pepper. When you find one you like, ya gotta save seeds.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2006   #3
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Reign:

Yes...they don't give much information on it at Heirloomacres...and I guess you would call it a hot variety as it does have a bit of heat to it. Next year I will have to try some of the varieties you noted...some hot and sweet and see what the difference is.
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

This is my second year growing Alma Paprika...it was my favorite last year. It got warmer than I thought it would and was great raw. I live in a pepper challenged area, but if I ever get a surplus I will definately try grinding some.....would be nice to get a surplus of something besides Thai peppers!
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2006   #5
bully
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it as well and was wondering what to do with it.
Now I know, I'll dry em and grind em.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2006   #6
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing this one this year as well. SSE says it is also good for fresh eating, very thick walled, warm (1 out of 5 on heat scale), & very sweet. I have about 90 pepper plants in the garden this year - 10 to 12 are Alma Paprika.
Old July 22, 2006   #7
Vaccinium_Hound
Tomatovillian™

Yes, very thick. I eat them fresh and cook with them. They're good green or red. Maybe I'll try making some powder this year...
Vaccinium_Hound is offline   Reply With Quote