Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 30, 2018   #1
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Default Hearts

Just harvested these very large hearts. From bottom left clockwise they are Fish Lake, Monomah's heart and Wes.

Hearts.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hearts.jpg (385.7 KB, 154 views)

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2018   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Really nice toms. They look drippin down your arm juicy.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #3
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

They look great! Yum!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Looking scrumptious. Which one was the best?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #5
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

This year they all tasted fairly good. I couldn't really find any significant difference. The main difference was in production, Wes and Monomak's hat were really productive. For some reason Fish Lake and many of my other plants stopped setting fruit.

Bob Dylan
Old August 12, 2018   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Mine too, it’s been too hot
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #7
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I think that might be the problem. But I had some monster tomatoes on the lower branches with outstanding taste. Sudduth's and Black from Tula were amazing this year.

Bob Dylan
Old August 13, 2018   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

In your picture I'm assuming that the left lower one, which is pink is Fish Lake,the other two being red as they should be.

What was your source for Fish Lake seeds since it can be either pink or red. It flip flops and apparently has a mind of its own.

Since the two versions taste the same I don't care.Original seeds from Neil G in Ontario, Canada.

Carolyn
Old August 13, 2018   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikipop View Post
This year they all tasted fairly good. I couldn't really find any significant difference. The main difference was in production, Wes and Monomak's hat were really productive. For some reason Fish Lake and many of my other plants stopped setting fruit.
Somewhere I read that DTM of Monomak's hat is 72 days. It was really at your place this tomato sooner than other heart?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #10
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
In your picture I'm assuming that the left lower one, which is pink is Fish Lake,the other two being red as they should be.

What was your source for Fish Lake seeds since it can be either pink or red. It flip flops and apparently has a mind of its own.

Since the two versions taste the same I don't care.Original seeds from Neil G in Ontario, Canada.

Carolyn
My source was Victory seeds and it is a pink. I have grown it several times and was never impressed with the production, but decided to give it another chance this year. This was the first time that it produced some decent sized fruit, but, unfortunately it quit growing in late June.

There is a heart you might be interested in. Last year I grew Heshpole beside a Russian Purple. The Heshpole plant produced purple hearts. I am assuming there was cross fertilization. I grew it out this year and it produced purple hearts again.
I am thinking of offering seeds but I am not sure that it is a genuine cross. If there was cross fertilization would it affect the all the fruit or just a few. I am considering the possibility that I made some error, buy then I did not grow any purple hearts last year. Any thoughts?

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old August 13, 2018   #11
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Somewhere I read that DTM of Monomak's hat is 72 days. It was really at your place this tomato sooner than other heart?
Vladimír
Vladimir, It was one of the first to set fruit, but it ripened somewhat later than others. Along with Wes it was my best producing heart.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old August 13, 2018   #12
natural
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My source was Victory seeds and it is a pink. I have grown it several times and was never impressed with the production, but decided to give it another chance this year. This was the first time that it produced some decent sized fruit, but, unfortunately it quit growing in late June.

There is a heart you might be interested in. Last year I grew Heshpole beside a Russian Purple. The Heshpole plant produced purple hearts. I am assuming there was cross fertilization. I grew it out this year and it produced purple hearts again.
I am thinking of offering seeds but I am not sure that it is a genuine cross. If there was cross fertilization would it affect the all the fruit or just a few. I am considering the possibility that I made some error, buy then I did not grow any purple hearts last year. Any thoughts?

Alex

Alex,

If I recall, Heshpole is potato leafed. Was your purple heart tomato plant potato leaf? If so, then it may be a cross (assuming your Russian Purple is not potato leaf).

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #13
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I grew out two seeds this year and one turned out PL and the other RL. Both fruits were purple hearts. Russian Purple is not a PL as far as I know.

Bob Dylan
Old August 13, 2018   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Alex
Alex, first remind me of the origin of Heshpole and how it came about and which varieties it came from.Tania's site is still down,so no help there.

Cross fertilization can occur with just ONE fruit being affected,that's how we got Yellow Riesentraube, it was ONE fruit on a plant of normal red ones.And it was no doubt a somatic mutation, a mutation that occurs in the soma,or vegetative part of a plant and is genetically stable,rather than a seed mutation.

Makes sense? If not just let me know and I'll try some different words.

Carolyn
Old August 14, 2018   #15
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure of the origin, but the name is a shortened version of Potato Leaf Heart. I grew it twice before the purple showed up and they were pink, if I recall correctly. Yes that makes sense, but how does that happen?

Bob Dylan