Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 17, 2011   #46
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I don't really like using hotsauces (I prefer powders) but I make and use this one, especially for BBQ chicken (1/3 hotsauce, 1/3 catsup, 1/3 bottled bbq sauce and some brown sugar). Surprisingly much of the heat goes away during cooking so it is a good way to use quite a bit of hot sauce.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=rooster+sauce
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2011   #47
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thank you - good ideas
Old October 17, 2011   #48
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Serranos are awesome chopped up and mixed into a hamburger patty. Eat a lot of hamburgers!
Old October 17, 2011   #49
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Haha I'd have to eat a REAL lot of hamburgers to use up all of those serranos! Either that or have hamburgers that really light up your lips.

That does sound good though - do you pre-cook the serranos at all, or just put them in there raw? Seeds and all, or take the seeds out for texture/less heat?
Old May 14, 2012   #50
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Never eat your salsa the same day you make it if you do not like it hot. I find that salsa mellows out the next day for me. If you want your Serrano Peppers to not be as hot, make sure you take all the seeds and membrane out after you roast and peel them. Lime juice will help speed up the salsa to mellow also.

Yesterday I made a nice Greek style pepper salad from a mixture of hot peppers and sweet peppers. I used a mixture of green, yellow and red. I seeded and removed the membranes from 4 colored bell peppers and 10 hot peppers. I sliced them in stripes, salted them, and saute in olive oil in a cast iron skillet until soft. During the last few minutes of cooking I added 2 to 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. Let cool in a bowl with a good drizzle of olive oil and white wine vinegar. Add about a tablespoon of Oregano, and stir. Refrigerate. When ready to serve spoon into a pita wedge and top with feta cheese. It makes a nice appetizer too.
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #51
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Talking Peppers

Put pepper freezing/canning/dehydrating recipes here
Old October 1, 2014   #52
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Habanero Gold Jelly

1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricot
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, with seeds
or 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeno/habs combined
3 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) envelope liquid pectin

Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices and measure into large stainless steel saucepan with the vinegar; let stand for four hours.

Cut onions and peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into a 1/4 inch dice. Add to apricots and stir in sugar. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard for one minute. Remove from heat and immediately stir in liquid pectin, mixing well. Stir for about 3 minutes to mix solids, but put into jars before it gets too firm. Pour into hot sterilized jars, dividing solids equally and fill to within 1/4 inch from top of jar. Apply lids and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

Once sealed you can GENTLY rotate jars while still warm to distribute solids if needed.
Old March 15, 2015   #53
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Just have to revive this thread. Last year was our first year growing Jimmy, and we loved the peppers! Fried some red and green, and loved the red best.

We'll be growing about 15 plants in pots this year. Two plants were just not enough!

And of course I'll be sharing a few plants again.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #54
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just read this too. Thanks guruofgardens for bumping the thread

I have 6 Jimmy Nardello plants growing in little 2 inch pots. I will be separating them and transplanting them to solo cups in a couple weeks. I need to learn how to preserve them.

I'm growing several 0 Scoville varieties for those family members and friends who don't like hot peppers. Of course, I'll eat my share too. It's kind of funny, last year, we would remove the seeds from Jalapenos because they were too hot. This year, I eat them with seeds in and wish they were hotter. Tastes change.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #55
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

They certainly are tasty peppers. A favorite here is to fry them with onion and eggplant, then pour beaten eggs over them.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #56
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I do dehydrate them and grind to powder, but they are so sweet the powder clumps easily. Still worth it, though. Yum!
Old March 15, 2015   #57
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

It's my favorite pepper so far. When it's red ripe, I call it pepper candy. So sweet,
and delicious.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #58
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I am going to have to try jimmy again as I did not find the taste anything but ordinary.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #59
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
I am going to have to try jimmy again as I did not find the taste anything but ordinary.

jon
Make sure they are red ripe. There is nothing special about their flavor when green.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #60
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Make sure they are red ripe. There is nothing special about their flavor when green.
I tried them in both stages and was so disappointed with the ripe stage. Perhaps some extra attention will provide some satisfaction.
thanks for your reply.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote