Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old November 24, 2018   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default What's your favorite yellow summer squash?

and why?

I only have room for a couple of plants, and taste is the first priority.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I really like the flavor of Golden Bush Scallop but Early Summer Crookneck is a close second. I prefer both varieties picked quite small. Smaller than you'd see in the grocery store.
Old November 24, 2018   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Rugosa Friulana...hands down.

"I have a hypothesis!". It seems most of the taste comes from or near the skin, Rugosa Friulana being lumpy/warty has more skin area, hence it's more flavorful.

Buddy (the T-Rex)
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The old time crooked neck with warts on it, what ever it is called.
More squash flavor.
To me squash stands on its own not to be contaminated with spices and other herbs and vegetables.
It was a constant battle with my wife not to cook them with garlic onions and tomatoes.
The flavor of the squash vanishes with this stuff in my opinion.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018   #5
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Ditto on the warted crook neck - for fresh eating. For freezing, though, I prefer Tromboncino, or several of the green zucchini varieties if foul weather causes me to plant late.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Early Summer Crookneck has my vote too. The Straightneck yellow squash tastes good grown in my neck of the woods also.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2018   #7
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies! So far Early Summer Crookneck has most votes, and it's one I was thinking about getting...

Steve
Old November 25, 2018   #8
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Rugosa Friulana...hands down.

"I have a hypothesis!". It seems most of the taste comes from or near the skin, Rugosa Friulana being lumpy/warty has more skin area, hence it's more flavorful.

Buddy (the T-Rex)
I decided to try Rugoso Friulana, too, after reading some other good reviews. Your hypothesis sounds good, Buddy.

Steve
Old November 25, 2018   #9
LDiane

Yes, Early Summer Crookneck. I don't eat them all - some I stand up like little yellow ducklings to amuse the grandchildren.
Old November 25, 2018   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I love everything squash, and Ill have to give the Rugosa Friulana a try.
Steve, you asked about yellow, but I also grow a pale yellow/green squash called

White Bush Lebanese Summer Squash.

I learned about it here on the forum from Jeanne Anne (sp.) It has a milder taste, and it's a refreshing change from the yellow if you eat home grown squash EVERY DAY

The Lebanese has a bush habit; a normal to large sized bush. I usually plant several to a hill, so that may account for the amount of space it takes up in my garden.

Fro squash bread or squash cakes (with cheese) I still prefer a yellow squash. For steamed with butter I alternate the yellow with the white, whatever is ready that day

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2018   #11
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Huh - great theory that squash taste being proportional to surface area. I'm in for another experiment! Just ordered Rugoso Friulana from Baker Creek. (free shipping!)

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2018   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hey Buddy,

I noticed in another thread discussing this squash that Seeds from Italy sells this variety as a 6-10 foot vine squash. Which did you grow/seed source?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2018   #13
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Huh - great theory that squash taste being proportional to surface area. I'm in for another experiment! Just ordered Rugoso Friulana from Baker Creek. (free shipping!)

Jeff
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered mine from Baker Creek, too, because they had both early crookneck and Friulana.

Lisa, White Bush Lebanese Summer Squash sounds good. I wonder if it's the same as Baker Creek calls "Lebanese White Bush Marrow Squash "? I've noted it for the future.

Steve
Old November 29, 2018   #14
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Hey Buddy,

I noticed in another thread discussing this squash that Seeds from Italy sells this variety as a 6-10 foot vine squash. Which did you grow/seed source?

- Lisa
My seed source was Baker Creek.

For me, plant habit is generally a bush form, until some plants decide to fall over and start running (5 to 6 feet). MAYBE in perfect conditions, with a long disease free season, they could get to 10 feet. Not here.

I've been searching for years for a true vining summer squash. About a decade ago, I had a straightneck squash with a 14 foot vine that produced dozens upon dozens of fruit. I didn't save the seed, and the other seeds in the pack produced regular bush form.

My own RF selection of saved seed seems to produce 1 or 2 fruit setting prior to male flowers showing up. These fruit are very early (35 DTM), and have a pale green color. The normal, later fruit on the plant are yellow. Thanks for the reminder that I need to crack this year's squash (the yellow ones) open and dry the seeds.

Last edited by Tormato; November 30, 2018 at 02:00 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2019   #15
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

I really like Gold Rush for my summer squash.

Tormato:if you happen by,I'd really enjoy your take on the Rugosa Friulana that you like so well.

I could use a suggestion for a winter squash if no one would mind.I've been trying to decide on a good winter type for this upcoming season.I read a post from Fred Hempel who mentioned Blue Kuri being a good winter squash.I may have to think about that one,but as with most things,I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Trop