Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 22, 2012   #1
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default Burgess Seed and Plant Company

Burgess seed and plant company-

I got one of their catalogs the other day. They don't have anything rare, but their prices were really competitive, which I liked. I was looking for some items for the "butterfly" and "bee" part of my garden and they have a lot of nice offerings at a cheap price. Wondering if anyone has ever tried them? I think I am going to give them a shot because of their 1 cent sale and their deals. I need to keep my bees happy, and this looks like a cheap way to do it!
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2012   #2
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Have not ordered from them even tho I get a catalog every year. Somebody that I do order from no doubt sells mailing lists.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2012   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

A quick check of Dave's Garden Watchdog showed twice as many negative reports as positive, so you might want to check that out. I've never ordered from them, though.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2012   #4
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Thanks Kath. I think people do like to complain and they seem to be a big commercial company like Gurney's, so it isn't like a place I would usually support like the Hudson Valley Seed Library or Sand Hill or Tatianas. I support those sellers because I believe in their ideology and mission. But I wanted somewhere cheap that I could get some flowering things for the bees that I keep and I thought well why not? I just got a few things and I will see what happens. There is a seed company (whose name I won't mention here) that I will NOT deal with anymore because their packets came to me smelling like cigarette smoke and had a germination rate of less than 20%. I wrote to those people and gave them a piece of my mind. So I guess I will see what happens with this one...
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2012   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I know what you mean- last year I ordered some seeds from such a company because it was the only one who advertised a variety of a short-vined watermelon I wanted to try. My order was for 4 packets of different seeds and what arrived was a long-vined watermelon and all the seed packets were several years old! Only afterwards did I see that the same complaints online.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2012   #6
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

I order from Burgess every year. I've had few problems, the same type of stuff I have occasionally had happen from other sources like Johnny's. They will help if there is a problem (a lemon tree they sent died within 3 days, they replaced it and the new one is doing great). I think it's worth it to try them out. They do have a one year guarantee, just be sure to keep your packing slip!
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote