Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 3, 2010   #16
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Suze, from where did you order this Excel? I'm having a hard time getting it to turn up in google.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #17
Suze
Tomatovillian™

http://www.lawnrite.com/exel_fungicide.html
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2010   #18
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ted, thanks for the input. Azoxystrobin is not available to the home gardener in the States at this time - at least as far as I can tell - but please let me know if you are aware of anything to indicate otherwise. Another name for it here is Quadris or Amistar.

I am a big fan of Actinovate, and use it right from the start in growing my seedlings. I've found my seedlings are generally healthier and grow faster with the Actinovate. I also water my transplants with it well one last time right before I set them out in the garden. I have never used it as a spray on the plants to control foliar fungal disease once they have been planted out. However, I know your experience has been good doing that so I may give it a try, and also I recently found this study:

http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/displ...70743&lang=eng

The Mycostop they mention also sounds promising as a foliar spray.

Back to the Exel, the bottle arrived on Saturday. I still have row cover wrapped around the cages as a windbreak, but will be removing that shortly and will apply the Exel according to the instructions as a foliar spray. Again, thanks for your input.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2010   #19
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Heritage is another brand of azoxystrobin, and it is labeled for food, including tomatoes. Compass (trifloxystrobin) is another one from the strobilurin class, it is not labeled for food. Probably neither are available for residential use. Make friends with the grounds manager at your local golf course. They buy this stuff by the case.

Copy and paste stuff:
Carlin Sales only ships plant protection products that are labeled to be sold in the following states: IA, IN, IL, MI and WI.

ALWAYS READ THE PRODUCT LABEL PRIOR TO CHEMICAL USE!!!

A broad spectrum peventative fungicide with systemic and curative properties recommended for the control of many important plant diseases. Safe for use on turf and many ornamentals. For control of foliar and root diseases.

Rate: 1 to 4 oz per 100 gallons (for ornamentals), 0.2 to 0.4 oz per 1000 sq. ft. (Turf) (Please see label for specific rates)

Active Ingredient: Azoxystrobin

Chemical Class: Strobilurin

REI: 4 hours

Signal Word: Caution

EPA Reg No: 100-1093

Method: Foliar Spray or Drench

Diseases Controlled: Alternaria, Anthracnose, Brown Patch, Cercospora Leaf Spot, Downy Mildew, Fairy Ring, Fusarium Patch, Gray Leaf Spot, Gray Snow Mold, Iris Leaf Spot, Leaf Rust, Stem Rust, Leaf Spot, Melting Out, Necrotic Ring Spot, Pink Patch, Pink Snow Mold, Powdery Mildew, Phytophrhora, Pythium, Red Thread, Rhizoctonia, Rusts, Scab, Southern Blight, Sclerotinia, Spring Dead Spot, Summer Patch, Take-All Patch

4 oz container $130.00
1 lb container $309
http://www.activate45.com/HeritageFi...D_LabMSDS.html
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #20
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone have a source for Excel LG in southeastern Wisconsin? It would cost me nearly $14. to have it shipped from Lawnrite and the product itself is under $20.
Thanks
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Farmette,

$17.00 plus $7.00 shipping at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Exel-LG-System...9585331&sr=8-1

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #22
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much Ray!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #23
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Ya, that's about the best price going for mailorder. It's from where I ordered & the price I payed. What I think I'm noticing with the plants treated with this phosphite is that individual diseased leaves die off at a faster rate than if they hadn't been treated, slowing/preventing the spread. That & SAR response keeps the plant from being infected to an extent it otherwise would.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #24
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased several products from this Vendor (Esbenshades) in the past and always reliable service. One product they carry that I wouldn't be without is a 48 oz. hand-held battery power sprayer.

I own 4 of them as it is easier to keep the sprays in their own sprayers: Exel LG, Actinovate, Sevin, Serenade. For $12.00, not a bad deal! Also, if you order two items from them Shipping came to about $9.00 for both items together.

http://www.amazon.com/Cepia-90593-1-...ef=pd_sim_ol_4

Raybo
Old July 19, 2010   #25
liannenc
Tomatovillian™

I ordered Exel directly from Esbenshades, too, along with a few other items and I found shipping to be more reasonable than other places that offered Exel via mail order.

http://www.esbenshades.com/onlinesho...awn&garden.asp
liannenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2010   #26
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Looking at the billing, I actually ordered from Esbenshades too. It was $19.99 at the time plus $8.60 shipping & they charged $1.00 handling for a grand total of $29.59.
Old July 20, 2010   #27
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Timmah,

If you had ordered from the Amazon link I provided (above), you should have paid only $24.00 Shipped.

Raybo
Old July 20, 2010   #28
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Yessir, I just sent them a letter telling them how much I appreciate them charging me $5.60 more as a reward for shopping directly through their site as opposed to shopping through a 3rd party vendor's site.
Old July 20, 2010   #29
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Timmah,

I ALWAYS check Amazon.com first before I order anything on-line. They seem to "muscle" Vendors to more deeply discount, and reduce shipping charges vs. ordering direct. Strange - - but TRUE!

Raybo
Old July 20, 2010   #30
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Lesson learned, again. I usually do the same, too; however I was champing @ the bit to get ahold of it & forwent that option in my happy rush. =D