Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2007   #1
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

Default SHP's version of ML is............What strain?

Does anyone know what strain of Mortgage Lifter it is that Sandhill Preservation is selling?

Regards;
bluelytes
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone know what strain of Mortgage Lifter it is that Sandhill Preservation is selling?

The listing doesn't give any strain so the assumption is that it's the Radiator Charlie one.

There are several strains of ML, such as Estler, Mullens, etc., but if a place doesn't give a strain designation then assume the strain is not known.

Look at the pink section at Sandhill again and find Ukrainian Heart and you'll see it says the TNMUJ strain. That was put there b'c I showed two varieties named Ukrainian Heart in my book, with two origins, and folks kept asking Glenn what the strain it was and he had the original pack of seeds I sent him so could add that strain designation.

Bluelytes, are you looking for a specific strain of ML? I offered the Estler strain in my seed offer here and you did participate. You were also at DG, I'm pretty sure, when I sent ML ( Estler) to several folks at their request.

Did you see the recent thread here about ML where it's become pretty clear, at least to me, that since the Estler one had different parents that it's NOT the same as the Radiator Charlie one , so really two different varieties.
Old January 14, 2007   #3
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

The listing doesn't give any strain so the assumption is that it's the Radiator Charlie one.

In a recent thread you said I should ASK, NOT assume re: what something was, where it came from, etc. So, following your sage advice, I did not want to assume WHAT the SHP version is or is not. I thought I'd check.

There are several strains of ML, such as Estler, Mullens, etc., but if a place doesn't give a strain designation then assume the strain is not known.

Yes, I know there are several, which is why I was asking.

Bluelytes, are you looking for a specific strain of ML? I offered the Estler strain in my seed offer here and you did participate. You were also at DG, I'm pretty sure, when I sent ML ( Estler) to several folks at their request.

NOW I am looking for a specific strain. I understand you DID offer the Estler strain in your KIND, GENEROUS offer. But at that time, I thought I had the correct strain, but, alas, I did not, And I missed the opportunity obtain Estlers ML during that offer, AND your subsequent offer. I had already submitted my requests to your offer AFTER I read the thread. Otherwise, I would have cancelled my request and put in the Estlers strain of ML.

Did you see the recent thread here about ML where it's become pretty clear, at least to me, that since the Estler one had different parents that it's NOT the same as the Radiator Charlie one , so really two different varieties.

Yes, I saw that thread, which was the reason I started my quest to get the Estler strain after reading your fine assessment of it. [/quote]

So, since I was a day late, and a dollar short on placing my request for Estler Strain of ML with you, I was going to order it from SHP if they had it.

Thank you for your answer.

Regards;
bluelytes
Old January 14, 2007   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your answer.

I hope it helped.

If you want to e-mail me your address I can send you a few Mortgage Lifter (Estler) seeds.

As far as I know only heirloomtomatoes.net sells that strain but I have concerns about the seed age there and didn't actually check tonight to see if it's still being offered.

Not a general offer folks, but Blue seems to really want this ML strain, or whatever it is, and she did miss out on getting it via my seed offer.
Old January 15, 2007   #5
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
TYVM. You are too kind!! I gratefully accept your kind offer. I found some at
http://www.heirloomtomatoes.net/Varieties.htm , but I am thankful for your offer as I dont know if they have the REAL stuff.

Regards;
bluelytes