Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 12, 2007   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Mortgage Lifter Yellow Info Please

Can anybody enlighten me as to how and where ML yellow came into being. Also growth habit and taste. Many thanks. Ami
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Can anybody enlighten me as to how and where ML yellow came into being. Also growth habit and taste. Many thanks. Ami

All I can do is to tell you what I know and then head you in the right direction.

Mortgage Lifter Yellow has long been listed in the SSE Yearbooks. Only Neil lists it in the current 2006 one so perhaps that tells you something right away about its popularity.

it's indet, RL and late season and beefsteak fruits run around a pound or so. Comments about taste are highly variable in the reports I read in earlier Yearbooks, from OK to good to very good, well, I think you get my drift here.

And it is sold commercially here in the US, or used to be, I didn't check that out.

Apparently this variety was introduced in 1984 in the SESE catalog, so says the info at Jeff Nekola's website where a picture is also shown.

But nada is said at Nekola's site about place of origin or method of origination from standard ML.

Perhaps if I went way back to the mid-80 yearbooks I'd find more info, but perhaps the easiest way for you to find out more Ami is to go to Garden Medicinals online and e-mail Jeff MCCormack, the former owner of SESE and ask him.

There's also a bicolor Mortgage Lifter and I assume that that one as well as the yellow one arose by accidental cross pollination and dehybridization to form the stable OP.

Best I can do for now without delving into those much older SSE Yearbooks which is a real pain since before 1986 varieties are not listed by color; they're listed within states and within states alphabetically by individual persons and trying to find something de novo is not easy to do.
Old January 12, 2007   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, you have givin me more than enough information. Everything I needed to know. I've got a pack of seed o/o and wanted to know what to expect. I'll let you know in the fall how they turned out. Many thanks and you don't need to be climbing around diggin for books. Isn't the Austrailian Open comming up soon?
Thanks, Ami
Old January 12, 2007   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't the Austrailian Open comming up soon?

Oh yes, and you do know me.

it starts this weekend I think on Sunday but will have to consult my website with USTA listings as well as my Dishnetwork BIG book which lists all the events.

I can see some of the live stuff but b'c of the time differential most of what we see here in the US is taped, until at least the quarter and semi-finals, which is no problem as long as I don't go looking for results before I see the matches.

What ticks me off is that I have an appt with my orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday and I do hope that that appt doesn't interfere with my viewing pleasure.

Which is rather ironic since I'm trying to schedule the new right hip for early May so if I HAVE to go to rehab I'll be home in time to see ALL of the French Open.

But I made the mistake of telling Richard WHY I wanted the new hip put in in early May, and, well, he doesn't see that as a priority. The problem is that he's scheduled many months in advance for elective surgery. However I hope to convince him on Tuesday to write up the surgery approval so I can make that surgery date NOW

I do love my tennis, yes I do.

And don't look for me to do that much posting when ANY of the major events are televised, and that means Australian, French, Wimbeldon and then the US Open. :wink:
Old January 12, 2007   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange lists it as PL:

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...gory_Code=YTOM

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange lists it as PL:

Interesting since I went back and looked some more in the SSE Yearbooks and all those who grew it and mentioned leaf form said RL.

Since ML itself is RL and most RL's are homozygous dominant, it's hard to see how a yellow PL could come about from dehybridizing the hybrid between even a homozygous dominant and an unknown PL, since ALL the progeny would be RL.

If ML is heterozygous for leaf form and the unknown other parent was PL, then there would be that possibility.

And I went back and looked at Jeff Nekola
s picture of it and while the leaves aren't that clear it sure looks to me that they are RL/

Whatever.
Old January 12, 2007   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Tom. I ordered mine from "Underwood Gardens" and they didn't say what the leaf type is Carolyn. The only thing they say is its their "exclusive" which Tom showed not to be true. I bought the MLY on a whim as I originally went to underwood to replenish my supply of "Mong" and also picked up a Pack of "Rosalie's Big Rosy". Ami