Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 9, 2007   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Here Is a Good Piece of News

I was up most of the night ... restless ... and browsing some of my old favorites.

Checked out Ken Ettlinger's old Web site, Long Island Seed Project,
and discovered his updated site.
Look and read this: http://www.liseed.org/news.html

Good news, huh?

This is a guy who's been in it from day one so to speak.
It was Ken who got Brandywine from Mr. Quisenberry
thence into SSE, I believe the story goes.
See bottom of this page:
http://www.liseed.org/rambl_save_tomatosead.html

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #2
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

jtcm05 - Looks like they will in the future as under Ordering it says coming soon.

Great site. Have enjoyed reading the ramblings section as I too am having a restless night.

"You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt."~Unknown
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Nice BrandyWine history.
thanks

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If you read that first page you'll see that Ken makes seeds available only to those who live on LI and those who are part of the NOFA Organic seed project. NOFA is an organic certifying organization here in the East.

I used to trade with Ken as well, or maybe it was buying seeds from him, but that's so long ago I can't remember.

I honestly don't know if it was Ken who first listed Brandywine ( Quisenberry) in the Yearbook or if that happened after Ben died and left his collection to SSE. For sure Brandywine as just Brandywine, was listed before Ben died, but as to who first listed it, I'd have to go back and check one of my early SSE Yearbooks.

If you read Craig's article on Brandywine you'll see that the whole situation gets very confusing since Brandywine was often confused with what we now know as Red Brandywine in terms of listings

The fact was that Ben sent seeds to many individuals and a few of those were the original few members of SSE, which Ken was not suggests to me that perhaps someone else first listed it. The early listings can get very confusing. But Craig did get it from Ken and I got my Brandywine from Craig and it's the one that I've offered in my seed offers and sent to others, as has Craig.

Note the religious writings on the seed pack he showed. my recently deceased f riend in the Netherlands, Kees Sahin of Sahin seeds, had a huge collection or original packs that he got from Ben, all with those religious writings. I wonder what has happened to Kees seed collection since I don't think his wife had the same interest in his seeds that he did. I know that I alone sent him about 500 different varieties and he had hundreds and hundreds more. He used to go to a website and order everything they offered.

He did that at TGS and wouldn't you know, Customs wouldn't let them in Holland and they sent them back to Linda and per his request Linda sent them all to me and I had to repackage them and get them in in some other way. He was at one time very interested in buying SESE when Jeff wanted to sell.

Sahin Seeds is the source for Bloody Butcher, Brown Berry, Cream Sausage and several others that many of you know although their major strong interest is flower seed which they sell to almost all major retail places in the US and around the world. It was Kees who had the tomato interest. He also had one of the world's largest collctions of peonies and was going to send me his Paoniae tenuifolia ones ( fern leaf peony) b'c he thought that they could be further developed with different colors and forms and wanted me to start breeding them. But that never did happen.

PV, I can attest to the fact that you were up all night, Wait, that doesn't sound quite right. What I mean is that I'm up several times each night b'c I drink so much fluids to be sure I don't get a 10th kidney stone and at another site I saw where you'd been posting in the wee hours.
Old January 9, 2007   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Carolyn, I was up all night I had to take my daughter
to the airport at 5:00 am for her to return to Austin after
her grandpa's funeral and was thinkin' of that fine old gentleman
all night (my wife's father).

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that Ken Ettlinger was the first
to list Brandywine in SSE. I guess I was a little tired when I posted that.
I had been lookin' up Ken's Website for the information on
the dwarf tomatoes he sent seeds for, and discovered
he had redesigned his LISP Website.

Fortunately, he left the page with the photo of Mr. Quisenberry's
original seed pack gift of Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter.

I guess I should post the following info from Craig LeHoullier's
History of Brandywine to clear up the misconception I left
about SSE listings. I posted this at GW and here earlier in 2006
with one of our Brandywine discussions:

"The strain carried by Johnny’s Selected Seeds came from a seed donation by me (Craig LeHoullier).
I received the variety from Roger Wentling of Pennsylvania in 1986.
He in turn received the variety from Ken Ettlinger of the Long Island Seed
and Plant company. Ken received it from Ben Quisenberry,
thus the JSS strain is the Quisenberry/Sudduth strain."

Somewhere I thought Roger Wentling of Pennsylvania (PA WR)
had first listed Brandywine and subsequently someone listed it erroneously
as "Brandywine Pawer." Since Roger got the seeds from Ken Ettlinger,
I guess I jumped to a conclusion here that Roger was the first to list
and the tomato he listed was given directly from Ken who got it from
Mr. Quisenberry. I hope there's no permanent misinformation
on account of my presumptions. But I hope everyone enjoys
the photo of the original seed packet ... that's history right there :wink:

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

PV, and if you look in your SSE Yearbook you'll see that Brandywine, Pawer's is still listed and that was a mistake from long ago when someone did morph PA WE R, which is Roger Wentling, into Pawers.

So what that strain really is, is Brandywine (Sudduth/Quisenberry) and it isn't even a strain.

There are others there that aren't strains either.

As for Ken fist listing it, not to worry, for you know I blew the introduction of Golden Queen by 10 years recently and for heaven's sake, we're all still on earth and thus don't have perfect memories, intents, etc.