Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 3, 2007   #1
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Default Hybrid prices vs. open-pollinated prices

I was looking through the Wilhite catalog and noticed the difference between the hybrid and open-pollinated prices.

The OP tomato and pepper seed packets averaged about $1.30 and some of the hybrids were from $3.25-$4.55 and one pack of Tomande that was 50 seeds for $6.35.
Solar Fire hybrid 100 seeds $10.65
Sugary 25 seeds $7.70
Cobra 25 seeds $8.45
Cabernet 25 seeds $6.10

OP Peppers $1.40
Hybrid
Blushing Beauty 50 seeds $7.00
Chocolate Beauty 50 seeds $6.65
Big Bertha 50 seeds $5.45

What confuses me is that when I look at the heirloom plants at the nurseries they are MORE expensive than the hybrids and when I go to the farmer's market the heirlooms are usually twice the price of the hybrids.

LoreD
Old January 3, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

What confuses me is that when I look at the heirloom plants at the nurseries they are MORE expensive than the hybrids and when I go to the farmer's market the heirlooms are usually twice the price of the hybrids.

Lore, hybrid seeds are more expensive b'c of the labor costs involved with the actual development and final creation of the F1 seeds. Such costs are not relevant for OP seeds.

And the heirloom plants are more expensive, I would imagine, b'c they are something different from the normal hybrid plants that most nurseries carry and thus sell for a premium. I know that was true quite a few years ago when I raised some heirloom plants to be sold at a nursery and they were able to sell them quickly and at a premium over the standard hybrid plants/

It's no different at Farm stands and Farmer's Markets where fruits of heirlooms bring a premium price over fruits grown from hybrid seed. And that was also true many years ago when I was selling fruits to a nursery and also to chefs.