Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 5, 2015   #1
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

Default Attempt to save a plant that's damaged at the soil line

I noticed about a week ago that my Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye seedling was a bit brown at the soul line and the leaves were just a touch wilted. I suspect it might be damping off because it's been cool and I was probably watering too often.

In an attempt to save it I buried it deeper with a mound of dirt at the base. It seems to be doing better. I was having trouble watering and keeping the soil mound in place. I got the idea to cut the bottom out of a five gallon bucket and slip it over the plant. I trimmed off the lower branches and buried the lower 8-10" of stalk in soil. I'm hopeful that the stalk will grow some additional roots and all will end well. I'll let you know how it goes. Here's what it looks like this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg root-fix.jpg (557.7 KB, 138 views)
pixlpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #2
peebee
Tomatovillian™

If the plant does not look like it will recover you can always take cuttings and grow new plants that way. It's fairly easy to do and you end up with nice large "seedlings". The other day I accidentally broke off a big stem of Joe's Pink Oxheart and decided to root the stem so as not to waste such a large branch. It's in the shade now and looks like pretty good.
Hope your PBTD recovers without any trouble.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #3
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

peebee - thanks for the tip. How do you root the stem, I've never done that before with a tomato? stick it in the ground? put it in water? rooting hormone?

The good news is the plant with the soil line raised up about 8-10" inches with the bottomless bucket seems to be doing well so far. Fingers crossed.
Old May 7, 2015   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

The good news is that it is so easy. I take a good sturdy cutting, I would say it as to be at least 6 in long, but I've only done longer ones (accidental prunings, ha ha). Treat as you would any cutting you want to propagate: remove all the lower leaves, keep some at top but remove any buds (you want the energy to go into root-forming). Make sure the pot you are going to put it in has very loose soilless mix, example lots of perlite etc for the roots to grow in. You can even use the stuff from Autozone that we use here for sprouting seeds, that's good. You may use rooting solution, I don't but if you do, fine. Stick a pencil or whatever in the potting mix to make room for the stem and insert your cutting deep. Water well, keep in shade outside and make sure it is keep moist. I like to put a shallow bowl or dish under the pot and keep that watered, for humidity.

There are variations on this method, some like to put a loose plastic bag over the pot but I don't want to risk fungal disease. I like to keep it airy but moist with the water under the pot. I think it takes maybe 2 weeks, not sure I always just gently pull to see if it took. The cutting should always look pretty healthy so you know it's alive while you wait. Try it! One you know how, you'll never have to worry again about losing a plant, plus you can propagate and share extras.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #5
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

So far so good, i think it might have worked. Time will tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pink-berkely-tie-dye-fix.jpg (1.02 MB, 38 views)