Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 6, 2015   #1
ermentrude
Tomatovillian™

Default Planning For Fall Seedlings

This is my first year growing from seed. Despite my spring seedlings getting very cold early on, they made it through just fine and are presently growing in my Earthboxes. Since I'm on a roll, I thought I should try a couple different varieties for the fall also.

Based on my local extension's calendar, fall tomatoes should be planted out between July 25th and 30th. I'll need to start the seeds in several weeks.

What do I need to be careful about growing seedlings in the hot weather? I know germination should be fine, but I'm not sure how the seedlings will react to the day to day disgusting heat and humidity (7 years and still not accustomed to this weather). I grew the spring seedlings in my garage with little grow lights and I could do the same for the fall tomatoes. Or I could move the setup to my heavily shaded screened in porch - better ventilation but also subject to the wind which can be a problem. Last option is a spare bedroom that would be air conditioned all summer (mid 70's).

Anything else substantively different about growing seedlings in summer vs. spring?
ermentrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015   #2
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

When I grow them for the fall I start setting them outside as soon as they come up. Protect them from the wind and usually start in the dappled shade. Just like hardening off the spring tomatoes! The Kansas sun and heat can be brutal but by setting them out to start with they're use to it from the get go.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

In AZ, I had to keep seedlings in the house during summer. They would germinate and just sit there in the heat, even in shade.
I think if it's below 100 and partially or mostly shaded that they will be fine outside. 115 in AZ, not so much.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015   #4
ermentrude
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Sounds like my primary issue wouldn't be the heat, although it makes me wilt, but would be the wind. Storms turn up down here very quickly and the winds could be strong. I don't want to lose anything to wind. I'll likely just use the spare bedroom.
ermentrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Last year, I followed advice and planted seeds on July 1 in seed cells. They were outside the whole time. When they first came up - I moved them to dappled shade in a wind protected place. When they got their second set of real leaves, I moved them out into the garden to harden off in full sunshine for a week, and then I planted them.

This year, I'm going to do the same but start on June 1. I started some a couple days ago, but that is an experiment I'm doing with tomato seeds that I have way too many of.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote