Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2017   #106
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
How much tomatoes does a man need ?
There's a limit?

My sis, who needs disease tolerant plants, is digging the taste of Crimson Carmello F1.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #107
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I had several great finds this year. I am not at home while I write this, so I cannot name where I got the seeds. While some new plants had some great tasting tomatoes, I will only mention the ones that were productive as well as very tasty.
Berg. I believe I ordered these seeds from Tatiana and you can find information on her database. Grew out just as she described and the flavor was fantastic.
Black Mamba-what a beauty. The plant was covered with huge beefsteaks with wonderful rich flavor.
Chocolate Beefsteak- I have been growing this one for years and continue to be very impressed with flavor and production. The original seeds came from Joe Rarus who developed it, but I have not seen it offered commercially which is a shame.
For Exhibition- very nice perfect smaller red tomatoes with very good flavor. I must have picked 20 off the plant recently and every one was beautiful.
General Lee F5 -I believe seeds from Marsha. I think I must have harvested 50 of those smaller dark hearts with great flavor. I will certainly see that one in my gardens for years to come.
Grandma Oliver's chocolate- gosh I had a boatload of beautiful tasty meaty black tomatoes this year.. This was one of them. Larger beefsteak. Great flavor and production.
Matt't Hornet. I grew this one to complement Maglia Rosa's pink coloration. Very pretty red with gold stripes with great flavor and production. I will continue to grow these 2 together as that make such a pretty pair.
Not Winsall- seeds from Marsha. The flavor on this one is outstanding. Large pretty beefsteaks produced in abundance.
Owens Purple- another of my new black tomato finds of the season. Resembled Grandma Oliver's but smaller. Great flavor-I can't get enough of that rich flavor of black tomatoes, I guess.
Purple Reign- a dwarf. I have several of the black dwarf varieties but this was anew entry this year. That plant was so loaded with tomatoes I had to use extra support methods. Flavor was comparable, too.

Those are my entry so far. As I am out of town, hubby picked several new varieties while I was here at the cottage and didn't label them as instructed. Hopefully when I get home soon, there will be some more to report. It has been en exciting growing season. I will say that tomatoes growing at my community garden site were amazingly productive this year. The site has perfect sun exposure and great soil structure, but I can only and do use organic products there. Texas Tomato Food rocks.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #108
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My great finds so far this year are:

Lithium Sunset, a beautiful yellow/red fruit - yum! Thank you for the seeds Marsha AND for letting me taste a fresh one in January

Matsu Express - what a delight! Thanks Cole

ISPL - yum! Thanks Bill

Sgt. Peppers, a big pink heart (with antho ?)

Garnet - a delicious brownish cherry

Piennolo - a tasty surprise! Thanks Nicky

Still waiting for more varieties to ripen.....

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; August 17, 2017 at 01:51 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #109
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Soldacki has that outstanding sweet-tart taste that I recall only from Russian Rose, plus a creamy texture. But I'm not sure my plant is actually Soldacki. The first few fruits are golf-ball size!

Brutus also has that wonderful sweet-tart balance, and it's producing large tomatoes.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #110
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

In looking back at General Lee F5, what I got on 2 different plants were not what I was supposed to get, a pink beefsteak. I will do another grow out next year of the 2 remaining seeds in the original packet for comparison.
Another new one for me that I love the flavor of is Ananas Noire. What nice sweet tangy goodness packed in this unusually colored tomato (green, black, red).
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #111
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My General Lee were a dark pink smallish beefsteak.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #112
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Ditmarsher was a winner: despite all the cool weather, it proved delicious. Strong production as well with the deep flavor - bravo!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #113
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Japanese Pink Cherry. I think A Little Salt sent me this seed. thanks. unfortunately it has a black spot at every sepal om every fruit. I will see if I have more seeds or beg someone for some to try it again, though. the fruit is delicious to me almost like bite of dessert.
Old August 24, 2017   #114
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

JPC has been delicious here as well. For some reason, it had watering issues: it wilted almost every day, so I watered it quite a lot .. then several fruits had BER, which was not a surprise given the amount of water it got.. But I could not let the plant just wilt and hang down looking all dry..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #115
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I had a fantastic year I believe. Posted my report separately.
Linda, I hear you on Danko, I keep growing it year from year.
Nancy, For exhibition is just as perfect tomato as it gets, and looks and taste great.
Biggest finds as in new to me were this year Perito Italian, great paste, Tom Patti's italian paste, Kenosha Paste, Italian plum- yep we got it this year on paste and it is great. Not exactly paste for all, some good for eating as well. Perito is as sweet as candy. All are keepers.
Tarasenko 6 was early and very productive. Must have.
Russian persimmon was great, did not expect that, almost did not plant.
Adelia was uber productive.
Weinicht Ukrainian and Ukrainian Vining are your dream tomatoes, big, tasty , productive...
My hearts were on slimmer side this year. I keep comparing to Serbian oxheart and Dagestanskiy- well nothing comes closer... in production. Tasty yes, but uber productive for heart?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #116
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Is Danko the same as Donskoi? I grew Donskoi and they look about the same - pretty good tomato.
Thanks
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #117
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Is Danko the same as Donskoi? I grew Donskoi and they look about the same - pretty good tomato.
Thanks
Pete
They shouldn't be the same.

Danko

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

a det red heart

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Donskoi

an IND red heart and the fruits are much larger than then Danko fruits.

I've grown both and both are excellent varieties IMO. And in my experience the tastes of the two are different also,but tastes can be different depending on many variables.

Carolyn
Old September 13, 2017   #118
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I got my first Rebel Yell today.... oh. my. goodness. just as yummy as the japanese pink cherry, just bigger and juicier. everyone liked it. I have had more but it was a pitiful year for many tomatoes here and I sold the nice ones as they ripened.
Old September 14, 2017   #119
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, it is clear now, mine is indeterminate(Donskoi) and is rather productive and tasty
Pete.
Old September 14, 2017   #120
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I got my first Rebel Yell today.... oh. my. goodness. just as yummy as the japanese pink cherry, just bigger and juicier. everyone liked it. I have had more but it was a pitiful year for many tomatoes here and I sold the nice ones as they ripened.

clp, is the Rebel Yell normally this late? I thought I had some 3 weeks ago, plants set out 5/15.
Thanks
Pete