Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2017   #766
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I should stop complaining about NOT ENOUGH RAIN.
It was in forecast for 90% chance of rain. We didn't even get 1/8". Otherwise it was nice.
Gotta unloop the hose.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #767
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I should stop complaining about NOT ENOUGH RAIN.
It was in forecast for 90% chance of rain. We didn't even get 1/8". Otherwise it was nice.
Gotta unloop the hose.
It's been nice while it lasted. I'll be trying out bills bleach spray this week.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #768
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
It's been nice while it lasted. I'll be trying out bills bleach spray this week.
I used it again yesterday and upped the strength because my disease problems are so bad right now. It stopped sprinkling for a while just before dark and I sprayed all my plants with it. I may get some damage on healthy growth but I have to slow this disease process down or all my older plants will be dead in a week or so. If the rain stops today or tomorrow I will be applying another copper spray also. I may need to use some Sevin as I have noticed a lot of those little foliage worms on both tomato plants and pepper plants and with no way to use BT for the last three weeks that problem could be getting critical as well.

I just knew my tomatoes looked to good to be true three weeks ago.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #769
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

II came home to find my mortgage lifter completely infested with leaf miners like I have never seen before in my life.
I'm going to pull the green tomatoes chop the plant down and destroy it.
Not worth messing with in this heat anyway.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #770
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #771
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Very muggy here with rain on the way. Had lots of weeds so I've spent hour and a half pulling and raking, suckering and tying. Went to WalMart o630 for $17 worth of yarn. Threw out ten pounds of 6-12-12 and am getting ready for another 30 sweaty minutes with the tiller. Next week looks like 70s and cool. Weird weather yr for sure here along the Beautiful Ohio River. But I have lots of good tomatoes in spite of the first BER in my garden that amounted to much. Big Beef is simply amazing. Wish I liked them like the big pinks and bi colored ones.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #772
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Bill and Worth, both of you have some real problems. Bill I hope you can get it under control, I cannot imagine losing it all due to rain.

I often tell my husband I want my garden area covered to keep rain out but the cost really is prohibitive because we would have to build it to windstorm specs. May as well have a Cat 2 greenhouse built instead and that's another issue all of it's own.

Worth, wow, no way to save it?

Well, weather center says rain will now be starting on Saturday and going every day through to the next Monday. So, one full week and a day of rain. The garden is so pretty at there, I can only imagine what it will look like after this.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 22, 2017   #773
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

We've had so much rain, wind, heat and then cold temps followed by more high winds, rain, etc etc.
Very discouraging. I spray and then it rains. Not sure how this summer is going to turn out but so far, not promising. I think the cukes will do well, the tomatoes, not so much.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #774
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Do you all plant other vegetables that do alright in weather tomatoes struggle in? To partially soothe the depression, so to speak. In my garden, kale, collard greens, and hot peppers seem impervious to the weather. (Though some creature has taken to nibbling at some of my peppers in the middle of the night this year - strange.)
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #775
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Although it is very nice out right now with a temp of 77 degrees and 79% humidity we are set for heat index of 105-109 degrees again. Yesterday we set a record of 100 degrees for the record was 98 degrees. Today we are supposed to be at least 100 degrees but possibly even 102 degrees.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 22, 2017   #776
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Bill and Worth, both of you have some real problems. Bill I hope you can get it under control, I cannot imagine losing it all due to rain.

I often tell my husband I want my garden area covered to keep rain out but the cost really is prohibitive because we would have to build it to windstorm specs. May as well have a Cat 2 greenhouse built instead and that's another issue all of it's own.

Worth, wow, no way to save it?

Well, weather center says rain will now be starting on Saturday and going every day through to the next Monday. So, one full week and a day of rain. The garden is so pretty at there, I can only imagine what it will look like after this.
I left for work with zero infestation to complete infestation when I came home.
I might as well pick them so the deer dont.
The plant has stopped growing anyway.
I will see what a summer squash will do in the container.
Worth
Old June 22, 2017   #777
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's been muggy here for three days now but also windy the saving grace. Blackflies much reduced you can actually go out and do things.

Warm enough, and good enough forecast, to plant Mom's tomatoes out in her garden. Come what may. I'm just so glad to get them out of beer cups. Suck it up or die, plants!
I never thought it was cold here until I started growing tomatoes, and all the relevant info is in F farenheit, while we get our forecasts in C. I had a whole scale of couse of how many C is great or warm or too hot or too cold. Now I look at forecasts I thought were peachy C, but so miserable when converted to F. Bah humbug on the farenheit. One thing for sure I don't envy you guys the heat. Cool is beautiful for me.

We are having a stupidly dry year in spite of being cold and randomly foggy. The ground is like powder dry. Crazy. If I want to plant carrots as intended I need to find another hose or two to make the 70 ft distance and make the committment to water. Not impressed with the year and how my garden gumption is shrinking.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #778
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I feel for those dealing with weather conditions and your gardens. Hopefully things will change and turn things around before it's too late.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #779
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

I have bell peppers, egg plants, squash and zuchinnin, corn so tomatoes are only my main crop.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #780
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I read on the news this morning that one child was killed by a log that hit him while on the beach.
It seems from what I read it came in on a wave.
You would spontaneously think who the hell would let the kid be on the beach?
BUT 45 MPH winds are nothing and we all make mistakes.
I feel for this family for the loss of a child.
Worth