Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 12, 2017   #166
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Laundry will get finished tomorrow morning, bread dough will be mixed in the morning and baked when I get home tomorrow evening, both vehicle's gas tanks are topped up, the gas cans for the snow blower are filled, and all electronics will get charged up tomorrow evening.

Bring on the Blizzard!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #167
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What about alcohol and coffee?
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017   #168
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
One of the reason that I moved to the south is that I don't like too much cold , snow and looong winters. I can put up better with high heat than cold. I have lived in places with harsh winters most of my life, CT, MO, IL ..just to name a few. PNW though not very cold but had loong season with rain, clouds , drizzles stretching from October to June.
if we are ever able to retire I want to move your direction.
Old March 13, 2017   #169
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

It's 12 degrees F out now.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #170
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What about alcohol and coffee?

They are staples and always well stocked. We have a nice, big bottle of Wild Turkey 101 -- my new, current favorite, although I do need to grind more coffee beans tonight... thanks for the reminder!
Old March 13, 2017   #171
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm reading that your blizzard is going to merge with another system before it gets to us midweek. More "special weather" statement they don't know if it will be snow or rain this time.

We just got slammed with a terrible wind storm Saturday - worse than Hurricane Igor and they said the winds were up to Category 2 hurricane level at 160 kph. Huge amount of damage to houses, traffic lights and telephone poles and trees snapped and stuff blowing around into windshields etc... everyone will be picking up for awhile. I feel sorry for the folks whose roofs were damaged as there are so many they will be hard pressed to get it fixed before the next 'special weather' arrives. Just driving from my house to Mom's a few minutes away, we saw numerous roofs with strips of shingles gone and bare wood showing.

We are counting our blessings, I only lost power for six hours or so (although it kept browning out so I couldn't go online) and I was able to persuade my Mom to come and stay here - she just got power back this morning nearly 48 hours.. very lucky that her pipes didn't freeze in spite of it as bitter cold and windchills in minus 20's C. I walked around my house this morning and not a shingle nor a piece of clapboard torn off. Couple of trees snapped but not towards the house, and as it happens they were trees I intended to cut anyway, so actually ... how lucky can you get? Sorry for the others though.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #172
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I should be thankful.
Here is our 5 day weather forecast;

23F , possibly 20F in my garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad weather.jpg (62.9 KB, 93 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #173
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #174
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I was thinking the same thing...the rotten little varmit.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #175
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I think it was the other way around. The groundhog was right -- six more weeks of winter (and then some...).

It's all the people who were running around last month saying he blew it because "spring came early" are the ones that lied.
Old March 14, 2017   #176
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

the blizzard of 1888 was march 11 to march 14
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #177
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
I was thinking the same thing...the rotten little varmit.
I saw a quote on Facebook which said "police are searching for Mother Nature. She is bipolar and has not been taking her meds!"
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #178
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

This is the crabapple tree in front of my house, in a snow drift of about 2 feet (sorry it's sideways). Keeping everything crossed that the electricity stays on; 9500 utility customers in my area are dark... The wind was howling so loudly at 2:00 that I thought a snowplow was driving up and down the road...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crabapple.JPG (113.8 KB, 38 views)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #179
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Ah winter. I remember it well.

Not fondly, just well.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #180
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Update from me.

It turned from a watch to a Bliizard Warning, up to two feet,it started early this AM, just a bit at first then POW, with me looking at the local radar online,there were heavy bands that came through, then less,repeat,then high winds,blowing snow, total whiteouts and is still going and warning out until wed 6PM.

I have about 1 and 1/2 ft out there now and I'm pretty accurate with that/ About two hours ago Jeff plowed out my driveway,he does it once again when the snow is almost done.

Freda got here very early this AM,packed my cold box and heated up some soup for the thermos.

I still have lots of dark chocolate but the cigarettes are getting low. YEs, I think if I start having the DT's I have some nicorette gum around here somewhere.

My mail person said yesterday, that USPS always delivers, say what,no sight of him today, nor Phil UPS with a box of stuff from Harringtons in VT to deliver either.

My major concern is the possibility of a power outage since if that happens I might be in big trouble,no where to go with this walker,nada.

I haven't even heard the town plowg going up and down the road,just too much snow coming too fast for them or anyone else to deal with.

Carolyn