Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 9, 2017   #271
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
So what happens when you pollinate them yourself, because that is what we do.
You have the world record, what else can be said. LOL, HAHAHAHAHA I will read YOUR book.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #272
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes I know, I already have the world record, I grew it last year,8.61 lbs.

Very interesting megathing there. It should place high in the ugly tomato contest too. Do all the "megablooms" (not sure of the terminoligy for each "tomato fist") ripen into something more uniform?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #273
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Ditto what AKmark said. Welcome to Tomatoville & grats on the record. Do you sell seeds?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #274
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I had a huge 4lb+ megabloom tomato last year, a Mushroom Basket... saved seeds produced beautiful plants with Zero tomatoes except one that had a 1lb non discript tomato on it...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #275
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I threw it in the trash...
Old November 9, 2017   #276
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So what happens when you pollinate them yourself, because that is what we do.
Nothing happens b/c that can't happen and here's why.

I'll try to describe it but would rather have a diagram showing it and if I have time tomorrow I'll try to find one.

Fact is that the ovules ( seeds to be)in the tomato ovary are self pollenized before the blossoms ever open.

And that happens b/c when the tomato embryo starts to get larger the stigma, the pollen receptacle, pushes upwards and self pollenization occurs before the blossom ever opens close to 99 or so % of the time.

When the seeds in a single fruit are germinated it's been found that up to 5 different seeds can be found,which is why so many home growers go to such great lengths to prevent cross pollination and often bag blossoms or use geographic distances to prevent the halictid bees that do most of those X pollinations from happening .

And it's also known that when all of the ovules in the ovary are NOT fertilized that other ovules can be X pollenated

I'll try to find a diagram for that when I can,as well as linking to the role of halictid bees in the process.

Carolyn
Old November 9, 2017   #277
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Now if you want to talk Big Zac, I'll be growing F5's this year..: F4's were still big at over 2lbs and they were not megablooms.
Old November 9, 2017   #278
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Nothing happens b/c that can't happen and here's why.

I'll try to describe it but would rather have a diagram showing it and if I have time tomorrow I'll try to find one.

Fact is that the ovules ( seeds to be)in the tomato ovary are self pollenized before the blossoms ever open.

And that happens b/c when the tomato embryo starts to get larger the stigma, the pollen receptacle, pushes upwards and self pollenization occurs before the blossom ever opens close to 99 or so % of the time.

When the seeds in a single fruit are germinated it's been found that up to 5 different seeds can be found,which is why so many home growers go to such great lengths to prevent cross pollination and often bag blossoms or use geographic distances to prevent the halictid bees that do most of those X pollinations from happening .

And it's also known that when all of the ovules in the ovary are NOT fertilized that other ovules can be X pollenated

I'll try to find a diagram for that when I can,as well as linking to the role of halictid bees in the process.

Carolyn
Carolyn, there is the classroom then there is real world results.

Those guys have saved seeds from megablooms for many generations. They hold all of the records, nobody is coming close who is using other methods, and there are quite a few guys involved with that practice. With that said, the issues that concern you, are being greatly countered by positive results. And there are many many examples that we can use.

We can go back and forth, pull out every piece of information that is available to build a case, and it still will fall short. Results, results, results, the man holds the world record, so my hat comes off to him and his buddies.

Mark
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #279
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I think you need to read marv's book,it talks a lot about pollination, they can't pollinate before they are open, the pollen isn't even ripe at that point,yes they are self pollinating but you can certainly cross pollinate them,that's how we get all the different types that we're working with, thanks akmark for your help.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #280
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Outstanding work on those big ones, ugly and beautiful at the same time.

Marv's book is a great step-by-step, well written and my favorite part is all the nuggets of wisdom specific growers provide, it really brings home the lesson that there are many ways to skin a cat.

My biggest one this year was just above 1 kilo, Spud Webb while yours were Manute Bol territory.

Last edited by Gerardo; November 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #281
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Carolyn, there is the classroom then there is real world results.

Those guys have saved seeds from megablooms for many generations. They hold all of the records, nobody is coming close who is using other methods, and there are quite a few guys involved with that practice. With that said, the issues that concern you, are being greatly countered by positive results. And there are many many examples that we can use.

We can go back and forth, pull out every piece of information that is available to build a case, and it still will fall short. Results, results, results, the man holds the world record, so my hat comes off to him and his buddies.

Mark
But what World Record and I ask b/c this is the current World Record, certified by Guinness

http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/na...rd_214064.html

Several times I have suggested that folks interested in BIG tomatoes go to Dale Thurber's website and look at the section on BIG tomatoes.

Have any of you done that?

The link to Dale's site is here at Tville in the plant and seed Forum.

Carolyn
Old November 10, 2017   #282
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

The current world record is 8.61 lbs which is mine, I have the certificate from Guinness to prove it.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #283
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The current world record is 8.61 lbs which is mine, I have the certificate from Guinness to prove it.
I stand corrected, if you're Dan from Walla Walla Washington. Guinness site says you're the new world record holder 8.61 pounds. Nice Job!
Old November 10, 2017   #284
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So if I were to go to Dale's site I would find you there as the current World Record Holder?

But I'd need your real name, not your user name to be able to do that.

So please PM me your real name, you do say you are from Washington state.

Your pictures are very good so would it be easier for you to have someone take a picture of you holding your certificate, or better still another close up of your certificate so everyone can read it.

Look,I'm not trying to be difficult about this , not at all,I just want to know what's what in case someone asks again, and I can point them to you.

After all credit is due to those who deserve it IMO.

Carolyn
Old November 10, 2017   #285
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

What a treat to have you here showing your great achievements. I'd read your book, too.

Quote:
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote