Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 2, 2017   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default My new greenhouse built from reclaimed materials

Folks, I now have my greenhouse in place, and my peppers, eggplants and even tomatoes overwintered beautifully. The entire structure is built from 100+ year old materials from dumpsters, basements, and sidewalks in our neighborhood in Atlanta, Georgia. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips, particularly the one who told me that I should build the largest greenhouse possible, since anything else would be too small very soon. They were right!

I have put together a slide show showing the construction process, and the final greenhouse. You can toggle the slideshow in the upper right to go quickly through all pics. Here it is - enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97483618@N00/sets/72157678864561533

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; April 3, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #2
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great, congradulations! But I did not get to see the finished one, did you post all the photos?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Whoa, half of the slide show is missing. Those dang free services!!! Let me post another link to the full slideshow.
FIXED - THE NEW LINK WORKS IN FIRST POST.

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; April 2, 2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old April 2, 2017   #4
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Amazing! Very well done!
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Great - that's our style of greenhouse building too))

You can be called a Russian gardener from now!)))

Your cabrio is very spectacular with so many greenhouse spare parts inside!)))

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #6
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great job!

I hope the low pitch of the roof doesn't result in water pooling up there and rotting out the window casings, but I guess you can always source more!

Looks like a fabulous place for a dinner party!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Wonderful job, a lot of work, and great that the entire greenhouse is recycled material!
Old April 3, 2017   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Wow dude very impressive. I toyed with the idea of making one similar to that myself but my carpentry skills are lacking in a big way and I was worried hail may cause damage and ruin it. I really like the look of it though and it makes me wish I had one. Are you in the pic of urban gardeners?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #9
matereater
Tomatovillian™

great job !

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #10
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Folks, I now have my greenhouse in place, and my peppers, eggplants and even tomatoes overwintered beautifully. The entire structure is built from 100+ year old materials from dumpsters, basements, and sidewalks in our neighborhood in Atlanta, Georgia. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips, particularly the one who told me that I should build the largest greenhouse possible, since anything else would be too small very soon. They were right!

I have put together a slide show showing the construction process, and the final greenhouse. You can toggle the slideshow in the upper right to go quickly through all pics. Here it is - enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/974836...57678864561533
Nice, I have about 50 wood window panes and most of the materials for mine. Just need to find the time to build it. Mine will be off the back of the garage and have a roof slope similar to yours. I have some heavy plastic to use first couple seasons for the roof and see how that goes, then switch to the double walled panels from the local greenhouse supplier, but they are not cheap. Didn't get to look through all photos but what did you use for ventilation? What are some of the ways you plan on using it? Since my climate is similar to yours I was wondering what could possibly survive in there in June-August...
Old April 3, 2017   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Wow dude very impressive. I toyed with the idea of making one similar to that myself but my carpentry skills are lacking in a big way and I was worried hail may cause damage and ruin it. I really like the look of it though and it makes me wish I had one. Are you in the pic of urban gardeners?
I had zero carpentry experience before I started. Lesson one- buy the best table saw you can afford. The table saw is the most important tool.

Lesson Two - buy a high torque battery screwdriver, such as the Milwaukee brand. High torque because you are driving three inch deck screws into lots of wood.

I am going to cover the top with one layer of 6 mm greenhouse transparent plastic so taht the water and leaves run off, rather than pooling and sticking in the windows. That won't affect the look at all, but will keep the top cleaner and in better condition.

I am not in that photo!
Old April 3, 2017   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr View Post
Nice, I have about 50 wood window panes and most of the materials for mine. Just need to find the time to build it. Mine will be off the back of the garage and have a roof slope similar to yours. I have some heavy plastic to use first couple seasons for the roof and see how that goes, then switch to the double walled panels from the local greenhouse supplier, but they are not cheap. Didn't get to look through all photos but what did you use for ventilation? What are some of the ways you plan on using it? Since my climate is similar to yours I was wondering what could possibly survive in there in June-August...
Plastic alone would not work here in Atlanta because of the squirrel pressure. So I needed glass.

Ventilation: I have two windows in the ceiling that pop up on hinges, and a door and opening window in opposite walls. But I don't intend to use the greenhouse in summer - it is mostly shaded. It works as a greenhouse only when the leaves are off the trees, which is when I need it.
Old April 3, 2017   #13
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Wow, great job. A project of my dreams!

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #14
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

interesting and unique. out of all those doors and windows, only one door opens? looks like a fun project in which I'm sure no beers were consumed.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #15
MissS
Tomatovillian™

That is AWESOME. For someone that has never done any carpentry work you did an amazing job. I think that your best asset there was the help of your dear brother in law. It's just beautiful!